1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Glovebox Door Tag Rivits

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM
mixup
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glovebox Door Tag Rivits

Does anyone sell rivits for the tag on the glovebox door on a 1960 F100?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
They normally come with the tags. And they are not rivets persay, they are those funky little twisted nails like on the cowl/hood strap. You should be able to get them at any good industrial hardware store like Marshalls.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 PM
mixup
Mountain Pass
On my 60 they are rivits and a friend of mine has a 60 and his are rivits. The PO chromed the glovebox door and I want to replace it with a painted one so I have to switch the tag.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Ah..... ummm, color me confused. For a real rivet to work you have to smash its head over, how can you do that on a glove box door if it’s double walled?? Anyways, a pop rivet with a small washer sure looks good to me.(but who cares)

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 AM
mixup
Mountain Pass
The DMV cares thats who. If you don't have the correct rivit they don't register your truck. You don't need to get to the back of a rivit for it to work. There is a tool for setting them in place.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Ahhh, I see the problem. DMV is thinking that they used the special VIN rivets back in the '50's. First off, the plate in the glovebox is not a VIN plate; it is a data plate and it does have the vehicle serial number. True VIN numbers and VIN plates with the special rivets didn't exist until the early '70's. That is when they added a couple of digits to the numbers. The only authoritative location for the serial number on our trucks is the one stamped on the frame. Show them that.

Cold rivets do require access to the back side.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:51 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't want to use a pop rivits, use glue. There are amazing glues produced. I've seen the tags and short shanked rivits on tags glued to corvette tag bars. When done you have a difficult time removing them. They don't fall off. Option #2 vist the DMV with the chrome glove box door then change the door after. On many of the 48-50 tags they are attached with short screws. Here the DMV only cares if the title and tag's numbers match. chuck

Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mixup
The DMV cares thats who. If you don't have the correct rivit they don't register your truck. You don't need to get to the back of a rivit for it to work. There is a tool for setting them in place.
I agree with Ross.

If you have some fool at the DMV that is giving you grief about rivets, then it's time to ask for a supervisor or someone who knows the laws and OEM installations on a 1960 truck - and you will be hard pressed to find that.

You have to remind them that this is a 50s or 60 s vehicle and modern standards are not applicable in some cases.

As Ross mentioned, a true VIN plate is located on the dash front far left and is a reletively new(1970s) thing. What we have (in various years) are rating plates and patent data plates - serial number to use to registed is on the truck frame.

Lesson learned about the DMV in many states:

Rarely (if EVER) will you find any a clerk knows the specifics on the trucks, serial number locations etc. If you go in to them and tell them where they are, they will listen and apply it to their requirements. If you go in and act all intimidated and ingorant, they will be guessing and will walk all over you. You can't let them get away with that. Case in point: the young man in New York who posted a few days ago who is now having to have parking lights with DOT numbers on them. Rediculous!

Know your stuff when yougo in there and be assertive. If that doesn't work, cry....works for me!

On the late 40s and early 50 trucks the curved nails were used I don't know when that changed. And if youbuy a new plate today, that is what you will get with it (or possibly with firewall Patent Data Plates, sheet metal screws). If you have rivets, then the only way to duplicate that is, as Old said, with a pop rivet.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:47 PM
mixup
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys for the help. I located the number on the frame so I won't paint over it. Everytime you go to the DMV you get a different story. I just wanted to make sure I have the right fasteners on this plate and maybe they won't have to look at the frame.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dmv?

I know this thread isn't exactly about the DMV and I probably get better service there for average stuff than the old days--they've made the service better here in Calif--you can even phone for an appt etc--wild--anyway I went through a nightmare experience geting the OK for my Year of Manufacture plates to be used on my 58F100. I'm certain I had every i dotted and every t crossed when I went there with everything the law requires etc here in Calif. And they just try so hard to not OK stuff I can't believe it. I had this nice young person helping me and they looked for quite some time through about 10 or 15 typed pages of compliance issues etc and I made it until they got to the last page, and it stated that my 1958 commercial plates needed to be 14" wide? Uh? I was alive in 1958 and probably illegally driving too--no they weren't 14" wide? This was the official Calif instructions to all DMV workers--how can I argue? That's what it says--its just wrong--I showed her the physical plates and I thought they were gonna arrest me for counterfeiting. Finally I called a guy who sells vintage plates a county over and he said go to his neighborhood dmv. They have a big display of vintage plates that he supplied. I drove over there and things went just fine? So what do you do? Were there some commercial 14inch wide plates in 1958? I don't know. Who cares? The DMV cares about everything. WOW They're really something .In Calif they used the same "stamped 1956" plates from 1956-1960? and commercial and non commercial apparantly were the same size and just had a different number of letters vs numbers and one just affixed a different colored DMV sticker for each different year etc..
There's lots of confusion about plates here in Calif. I wouldn't do it again. It wasn't worth the expense and hassle.

Goodluck Tom

Tom

Old 09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
mixup
Mountain Pass
You can go to the DMV and talk to 10 different people and get 10 different answers and they all swear they are correct. You just have to get the right person on the right day.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Not sure if they are the same for trucks from these years, but Marti Auto sells the correct rivets for the VIN tags for $1.50/ea. They are a popular source for these in the Early Bronco world.

Hope this helps...

http://www.martiauto.com/itemselecti...lecteditem=yes

Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 AM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know for sure that this guy has the ones you need. I do not know if he will sell just the rivets. Shoot him an email and ask him.

http://www.datatags.com/

Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 AM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I want to add one more thing here. A few of you through ignorance (which isn't a bad thing) are offering bad advice that could potentially get this guy's project shut down (which IS a bad thing). As has already been stated, the rivets look like the one in the pic below. When the data tags were moved to the glove box door in '57, they started using these rivets. If a DMV worker, or worse yet, a cop knew what to look for and found the wrong thing, there would be lots of explaining to do, and the vehicle would probably be impounded on the spot. I know that we all mean good here at this site, but when it comes to this kind of stuff, it's not wise to offer advice if you aren't 100% familiar with the subjuct. End of rant.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by black58
I want to add one more thing here. A few of you through ignorance (which isn't a bad thing) are offering bad advice that could potentially get this guy's project shut down (which IS a bad thing). As has already been stated, the rivets look like the one in the pic below. When the data tags were moved to the glove box door in '57, they started using these rivets. If a DMV worker, or worse yet, a cop knew what to look for and found the wrong thing, there would be lots of explaining to do, and the vehicle would probably be impounded on the spot. I know that we all mean good here at this site, but when it comes to this kind of stuff, it's not wise to offer advice if you aren't 100% familiar with the subjuct. End of rant.

Garbage.

DMV offices and the police make allowances for differences in materials on restorations because they understand that some of the exact original parts are simply not available - how **** can you be? "Look out...it's the rivet police" Sure, after he takes a metal samples to ensure the rivets were made by Ford, and carbon dates them to ensure they are not duplicates but th eones originally installed in the vehicle (indicating the plate was never removed) and then takes it to a judge or jury, this poor guy will be going to rivet prison (but th egood news is he will learn to make license plates)

Black 58 listen up to this and pay attention this time: This is not a VIN plate. Vin Plates were not installed in the trucks until th eearly 1970s and Legal VIN numbers were not used until th emid 1960. THIS IS THE TRUCKS "PATING PLATE" and is not the official source for the serial number for registering of titling the vehicle (just in case the glove box door police missed the fact that THE GLOVE BOX DOOR WAS CHANGED OUT AND TH EPLATE HAS A DIFFERENT TAG AND SERIAL NUMBER ON IT).

You have to use the frame stamped serial number, and if a cop stops you and wants to serial number/VIN check, ya show him the one stamped on the frame - there is no arguing with that! JEZ!

Quick Reply: Glovebox Door Tag Rivits