wmo in my 84 6.9 working great

Old 12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
vernon_25
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wmo in my 84 6.9 working great

tired of high fuel prices like everyone else i decided to buy a diesel and start experimenting, i found old 6.9 fords pretty easy and cheap to come buy here in ohio farm country so that is what i bought, i started by building a 15 gallon tank with copper tubing coiled inside it with the 2 ends sticking out of the tank and a pickup line also coming out of the tank, the next thing a did was to relocate the stock fuel tank switch from the frame rail to under the hood along the pass. side fender, i then ran some new fuel lines to both tanks and new return lines as well to the tanks, i then installed a racor coolant fuel heater about 6 inches to the left of the stock screw on fuel filter. i then tapped into the heater hoses and ran heater hose rapped around the fuel line from my tank switch to the new wmo tank and hooked them to the ends of the copper tubing on the new tank. i have been running a mixture of between 25 and 40 percent wmo in the new heated tank for about 3000 miles so far with no problems, i change the screw on fuel filter every 1000 miles, why i don't know it just seems like a good idea. i found from veggie burners that the key to success is heat, start on diesel, run engine till the temp gauge is about half way to normal temp and flip the switch to the mixed fuel, then a few miles from your stop, if your going to be there long enough for the engine to cool, flip back to diesel to flush out the mixed fuel, from my research i have found most problems with wmo and veggie is people want to just poor it in and go without the proper heat. i have talked to guys that have been running 50 to 75 percent wmo for years in there old fords in warm weather. if there's anyone that reads this and has any info for me on there own experience with wmo please let me know what your trying out, if you think i'm crazy for doing this you can let me know that as well, thanks vernon

Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you, old 6.9s will run on anything, they're just a devil to crank on anything, including diesel sometimes. I've got an old 6.9 and an old style 7.3, both running on veggie oil, no conversion, for almost 2 years. You have to realize that by the time the fuel gets to the engine it is plenty hot. the metal fuel lines run beside the tranny and the engine, through the manual lift pump thats mounted to the engine, which gets hot, the fuel is as hot as the engine. I love these old fords because they come already equipped with two tanks. I crank on diesel and swap to 20% diesel, 5% Unleaded gas, and 75% veggie. The gas does great for thinning down the fuel. I was going to put all the heated fuel stuff on there like everyone says, but I thought about it after I ran out of fuel one day and was bleeding the fuel lines, and that fuel was HOT. Plenty hot, I thought, so I just let the engine get good and hot before I swap and it works Great! You might try the 5% unleaded gas with your WMO, it might help you too. Be careful, and make sure it mixes good, if your engine gets straight gasoline it could tear things up. I probably would put a mixture in a mason jar and shake well, then put it somewhere you could watch it, make sure it stays mixed well.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:20 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Vernon welcome to the site.

Good lock on running WVO.

I run a 2 tank system. I Start and stop on Diesel. I have not had any issue yet. It cost me about 22 cents a gallon for filtering my WVO.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 PM
misnomer
Senior User
WMO? do you mean waste motor oil? or WVO waste vegetable oil? Waste motor oil works fine without the need for added heat, though I don't believe it is a friend to the environment a bit smokey and I have worries about used motor oil in my engine.. just the thought of tiny metal particles going through my IP and past the vlaves makes me cringe. I know some guys who run used ATF straight without any modifications. Then when you consider the fact that on a 6.9L the IP is cradled in between the cylinders and gets quite hot... its impossible for you to inject cool fuel! Vegetable oil is a bit different than WMO. I am putting together a WVO setup for my pickup now. I have a HotFox in the rear tank, recirculating the fuel from the engine, and bundling the fuel line with the heater lines. I got a heated Dahl 100 filter for the WVO and a racor 25s filter element (mounted on the firewall where the water separator once was) for the diesel tank. Just adding a 3 way switch after the 6 port switch to go to appropriate filter. Seems pretty straight forward.. but I am now ordering viton hose.. just for the section going to the tank (I really don't want to take that all apart again) Eventually, I will probably have to change it all out... but a little at a time because I am poor.. $14/ft is a lot for me to swallow

Old 12-14-2007, 11:37 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My bad..... I was thinking vegetable oil.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
vernon_25
New User
yes i'm running waste motor oil, i'm at a 50/50 mix right now with no smoke , i was running veggie oil but with the cold weather it takes to long for the temp in the tank to get good and hot, as for going overboard on the heating of the used motor oil maybe i did, but i just feel better knowing that it is warm and thinned out before it gets to the fuel pump and filter, plus all i have to do is clean the heated tank and go back to veggie juice when the temps start going up. i was told i could get brand new veggie for about 1.50 a gallon at a local business but i haven't looked into it yet. as far as being bad for the enviroment, i have done some research and some studies say that it is worse and some say that it is no worse than diesel, so i guess it just comes down to who you believe or who is paying for the research to be done. i can tell you that i got around 250 miles on my last tank full(15 gallons) only half of that was diesel, thats 25 dollars compared to 50. when i go back to veggie i will also be buying viton hose, between the injectors my hoses were getting very broke down on veggie, be very carefull changing those lines, it is very easy to break the plastic connectors, i broke one and had to buy a kit for all 8, got lucky and found the kit for under 50 bucks online at parts america website, everywhere else was 90 plus.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:33 AM
lowell75
Senior User
????

I took over quite abit of used delo400 from the neighbors
rv. I diluted it with equal parts of #2 and settled it out &
than filtered it out through a filter bag..
Ive' added this to both my 87' 6.9 and just a rebuilt MBZ
300 and had smokey results. AND had significant increase
in oil quantity on my drip stick! It is not water!!
I'm wondering if it might be synthetic (silicon based) that
was blended in the delo400 being pushed by the rings.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:10 PM
lowell75
Senior User
An interesting experiment might be to put a quart of
amsoil or mobil 1 in your fuel to see if it ends up in
the crankcase!!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:12 PM
vernon_25
New User
i have not had any problems like you seem to be having. while researching veggie oil i read that there is a gasket between the fuel pump and the block that can go bad and start pumping your motor full of fuel or what ever your using for fuel, i have no idea of knowing if this is true or not but the guy who posted it was a senior member of the club and seemed very knowledgable about 6.9's. i don't know what delo400 oil is so i can't help you there, but i've been getting my oil from a local shop and i'm sure there have been blends of all kinds of oil in it. check out this guys webpage www.hartshangout.citymax.com and frybrid.com, frybrid is where i found the post about the fuel pump issue

Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
bullet_83
New User
can u just dump the used motor oil in and run it i have a 85 f250 with the 6.9

Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
vernon_25
New User
i always mixed it in 5 gallon containers, i bought 3 5gallon gas cans just for mixing fuel in and would fill my tank then mix them again and leave them in the back of my truck, there was a few trips i made over 200 miles that i actually ran 75% oil and never had a problem

Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
bullet_83
New User
its my first diesel and i wanna try new fuels is it ok to run oil in the winter and still put the ant gellin additive in

Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
vernon_25
New User
that i do not know, i would use it and not worry about it.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you 80% wmo 20% gasoline will run at 20* but it will not start if left outside my garage without plugging the block heater in..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
vernon_25
New User
could you clarify if you are burning gas or diesel at the 80/20 mixture, thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wmo in my 84 6.9 working great