1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
azskycop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biz4two
azskycop -- Excellent! Nice to hear of the fix...and Thanks for reporting back.

biz
This does fix the issue but the only thing you will loose this way is the function of the "Acc" portion of the ignition switch. Since the power is only on with the ignition switch in the "on" position it only works there. Small price to pay and I'm willing to live with it that way.

If anyone finds a better alternate power source that works in the "Acc" position please let me know.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM
smomex
New User
[quote=azskycop;8310529]FIXED!!!
Here is the fix:

Run a jump wire from Pin 87 on Relay #02 (the delay relay) to pin 5 on Relay #203. Just look on the side of the relay and it will tell you what pin is what. Then I broke off the 87 pin on Relay #02 so if/when power did come in it would not matter.

Hi azskycop,
I have a 2003 Ford F150 with the same problem and would like to try your jump wire trick. Can you give me a hint on which is the Relay #203? Also what did you use for the jump wire?

Thanks in advance,
smomex

Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 PM
azskycop
New User
[QUOTE=smomex;9123644]
Originally Posted by azskycop
FIXED!!!
Here is the fix:

Run a jump wire from Pin 87 on Relay #02 (the delay relay) to pin 5 on Relay #203. Just look on the side of the relay and it will tell you what pin is what. Then I broke off the 87 pin on Relay #02 so if/when power did come in it would not matter.

Hi azskycop,
I have a 2003 Ford F150 with the same problem and would like to try your jump wire trick. Can you give me a hint on which is the Relay #203? Also what did you use for the jump wire?

Thanks in advance,
smomex
Relay #203 is shown on the fuse box diagram (outside cover of fuse box). On the relay the pins are marked. If yours is not marked or has different relays just find something that has power when the car is on. I just kept trying until I found one that worked. As far as the wire I used I'm not even sure of what gauge it is. I just grabbed a piece of old scrap wire that I had but you will find that a solid copper wire is much easier to use than stranded wire.

However I must put a disclaimer that your mileage may vary, your personal results may vary, and I make no guarantee that your vehicle will not catch on fire or spontaneously explode if you try this fix. In other words use this at your own risk!!.....but good luck and I hope it works for you, saved me over $800.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Steve J
New User
Radio-Window delay

I have a 93 Expedition...a radio delay of seconds, the windows didn't work either during the hiatus. That delay increased to minutes, hours, and days.

I followed all my friends instructions... even going to the extent of replacing the relays and fuses. Cleaning contacts...the works I went back to the local Ford dealership and they actually diagnosed the problem as a faulty Instrument Cluster.

FORD had insisted that I bring in the vehicle when the radio/window was working...this was problematic because the interval between events was never predictable. Ironically, last week the radio/window worked and I headed directly for Ford. I contacted the service representative and discussed the problem again in detail followed by shutting down the engine and restarting. The problem recurred and the service rep was satisfied that all the power was present, the fuse and relays were functioning.

The new instrument "core" was replaced at a tune of $526 plus labor and diagnostic fees. Ford retained the old part (I wanted it as a keepsake) and claimed that it would be sent to the manufacturer. Labor and silly "shop fee" for disposal. $900!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
ak-angler
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Ouch! $900 to replace the cluster? I think the dealers are out of control. Mine's doing the same thing. I guess I'll try re-seating the relays and see how long I can live with it before I try the work-around.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Tinkerbell73
Freshman User
Weird...my 03 F2505 7.3L SD does this exact same thing, except when it's HOT outside. It doesn't do it all winter long, but not that it's getting hot out, it does it more. Not so much in the morning, but lunch or after work, it does it a lot. This last time, it took quite a few minutes to come back on. It's ALWAYS both, the windows and the radio and never one or the other and the lights on the door panels don't work, but the clock on the radio does. I drive mine every day, about 75 mile round trip but about 3 hours a day in traffic, with 2 young boys. I have had a guy at work look at it and said his truck did the same thing, dealer said replace the whole cluster panel, but he bought one on eBay, but had issues with the mileage or something. I am hoping to not go that route, but would like some more info on replacing the relays. What are the relays under the hood?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
azskycop
New User
The relays I was talking about are all in the passenger side footwell fusebox. At least that is the case on my 03 Expedtion. I don't know of any under the hood that control the windows or radio.

BTW my truck did the exact opposite with heat, nothing would work until the temp got around 78 degrees then the radio would come on and the window would work. It just got worse over time until I did the mod above now I never have any problems.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Add me to the list.... (just hit 73k) gonna pick up the relay next time I go past the dealer.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Just for kicks, I pulled the relay and looked at it. Geez, it looks just like a standard 5-pin Bosch Style relay. I happened to have a few laying around, so....
I swapped the relay with a freshy and it seems ok. Time will tell though. Thanks for the thread guys!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Roxj27
New User
i have this same issue! replaced the relay and still the same issue. i did tap on the top of the dash and the radio will come on. i do not have the issues with the windows, just the radio.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
3000 FPS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Roxj27
i have this same issue! replaced the relay and still the same issue. i did tap on the top of the dash and the radio will come on. i do not have the issues with the windows, just the radio.
Sounds like you need to get under the dash and start looking for a bad connection. Try moving some of the wires around when the radio is not working and see if you can get it to come on.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by grec-o-face
Just for kicks, I pulled the relay and looked at it. Geez, it looks just like a standard 5-pin Bosch Style relay. I happened to have a few laying around, so....
I swapped the relay with a freshy and it seems ok. Time will tell though. Thanks for the thread guys!!!
FAIL!!
No radio/windows again today (for 45 seconds, maybe a minute). I guess the "replaced relay" wasn't my fix....

Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Can you send pictures?

AZSKYCOP, I have a 2003 Excursion that is having the same problem with radio and windows. Is there any way that you can send some pictures of what you have done to fix the problem? thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I had this problem 3 times total now once was at a perfect time when I had the excursion in the garage. I as well pulled and played with all the relays and have yet to have the problem again since playing with the delayed acc. relay.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM
azskycop
New User
Originally Posted by nstubbert
AZSKYCOP, I have a 2003 Excursion that is having the same problem with radio and windows. Is there any way that you can send some pictures of what you have done to fix the problem? thanks
I wish I could do that for you but I got rid of the car about 3 weeks ago. Like others have said be sure to check your accessory relay first, that may be the only problem.

Quick Reply: NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???