1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I reseated all the relays yesterday and I will see if it happens again but it may take awhile as most have said it is an intermittent problem.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by biz4two
First...I went to the central junction box (fuse box) and removed the accessory delay relay which is position #306. Took the part with me to a local dealer and purchased a new part. With the battery disconnected...installed new accessory delay relay. Reconnect battery and test. The issue is gone, but the REAL test will be letting the truck sit for 3 or more days.

Also...just an FYI...but while in at the central junction box...I noticed the other relays were a bit on the loose side. So...each fuse and relay got a nice little push. Which makes me think the original accessory delay relay may have been just loose. Oh well...let's see what the new relay does. Next test will be this weekend. I'll report my findings...

Thanks again...to all the folks that took the time to offer advise!

biz

Ok...here is a quick update.

After installing the new delay relay last Wednesday the 9th, I just let my truck sit. YES...it was hard to do!

So today after work...I try to start the truck and see if the problem is gone. Turn the key to the 'ON' position and wait for PCM to do its thing. Looking good...as the Radio went on right away before starting the truck. Start the V10 and electric windows are working too!

Not willing to say problem fixed just yet...but will report back in a month or so...just to make certain. However...it's looking good!

biz

Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM
tape_guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck does this too, very intermittently, doesn't seem to be humidity related. 2003 F-250 XL, so no power windows. The only things affected are the radio and the map lights on either side of the dome light. I've tried swapping around the 306 accessory delay relay with some of the other relays, no good. If I jumper the slot 30 and 87 pins of the relay connector in the CJB it restores the radio function.

I've pulled the connectors on the back of the CJB and tested connectivity with a multi-meter, so I think I can move backwards from their when I get time to test more. It looks like from the service manual that the accessory delay relay is powered from the battery saver relay. Rumor has it that the battery saver relay is inside the instrument panel with other digital circuitry.
Damn ford for making non-serviceable relays!!!

I'm wondering if maybe I can remove my instrument cluster, open it up, and solder in a replacement...

My other thought is maybe I'll just connect the accessory delay relay to a hot ignition source and take the computer out of the equation.

I have found in my research that there are OBDII codes B1302 and B1304 that call out accessory and battery delay relay problems. My scanner reveals my truck has no codes however. If you guys are having the same problem, you may want to check for this after replacing the 306 relay if the problem comes back.

If I figure out how to access and repair the battery saver relay in the instrument panel, I will let you know...

Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

YES...please keep us posted tape_guy. Good troubleshooting...

biz

Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
As of yesterday I still have not had the issue after re-setting the relays. I have a scanner and it has never read a code for anything related to an electrical issue other than glow plugs.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 PM
jamesscott
New User
I have exactly the same problem on my 2005 F250, Radio and windows would work by the time I got our of the neighborhood, so I put up with it... Looking at the wiring diagram, just as described above, the problem could only be in the relay or the socket/wiring... 4 months ago I pulled all relays out, blew out the dust from the sockets, wiped the contacts, then re-inserted the relays. Problem went away till last week when it started happening again, seems that the cooler weather may assist in the problem....
I haven't replaced the relay with a new one yet, but I may do that this week.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM
firemanpat29
Tuned
mine just started this will clean relay contacts and check thanks

Old 11-20-2009, 07:04 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
how much was the new relay?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by BobbyDiesel71
how much was the new relay?
I don't remember exactly, but it was between $6-$12 bucks from the dealer.

Hope that helps...

biz

Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 AM
a4x4nutt
New User
mine does the same except mine is an 06,F250 but sometimes it wont start either, turn the key and there is no nothing,lights work, cycle the key again and it starts but still have no windows or radio for a minute or so.

as usual wont duplicate at dealer.

I drive mine everyday 100miles to work so its not from it sitting

Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
azskycop
New User
I have an 03 Expedition with the almost the same problem. My all power window and radio do not work until the car heats up. Not a problem here in Tucson summer but winter time can take up to an hour of driving before they come to life. Dealer said I need to replace the entire instrument cluster...$800 job!

Does anyone know how I can "hotwire" this thing from another source so I don't have to replace the cluster????

Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by azskycop
I have an 03 Expedition with the almost the same problem. My all power window and radio do not work until the car heats up. Not a problem here in Tucson summer but winter time can take up to an hour of driving before they come to life. Dealer said I need to replace the entire instrument cluster...$800 job!

Does anyone know how I can "hotwire" this thing from another source so I don't have to replace the cluster????
Don't think that can be done. The cluster and PCM are linked.

Not sure why you would need a new cluster if your windows and radio do not work??? I would read POST #17...and go that route. If it doesn't work...then you are out only $12 or so. Good luck...

biz

Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM
azskycop
New User
Originally Posted by biz4two
Don't think that can be done. The cluster and PCM are linked.

Not sure why you would need a new cluster if your windows and radio do not work??? I would read POST #17...and go that route. If it doesn't work...then you are out only $12 or so. Good luck...

biz
I have already replaced that relay with a new one. I guess there is some type of relay in the instrument cluster that also controls these functions. The only way for the dealer to fix it is to replace the whole cluster.....about $800.

If someone can help me figure out which pin on the delay relay needs power (which I assume is controlled/energized from the relay in the instrument cluster), then I will jump a wire from somewhere else with ignition power and hopefully it will work without spending the $800

Anyone......anyone.....Buller?????

Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM
azskycop
New User
FIXED!!!

I finally got this bug fixed without spending $800 at the dealer. My problem was in the instrument cluster and the whole thing needed to be replaced according to the dealer. Instead I took the time to run down where the power needed to go and another source to get it from.

Here is the fix:

Run a jump wire from Pin 87 on Relay #02 (the delay relay) to pin 5 on Relay #203. Just look on the side of the relay and it will tell you what pin is what. Then I broke off the 87 pin on Relay #02 so if/when power did come in it would not matter.

Now I get stereo and power windows as soon as I turn the key, just like it should be, and with $800 in my pocket!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

azskycop -- Excellent! Nice to hear of the fix...and Thanks for reporting back.

biz

Quick Reply: NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???