Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer jumped 30K miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
cojack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odometer jumped 30K miles

I have a class-c motorhome on a 1992 E350 large V8 chassis. After removing/reinstalling the battery for recharging, I noticed the odometer jumped from 51,000 miles to 82,000 miles. This happens to be miles expressed in kilometers. Could the PSOM have switched to kilometers? If so, does anyone know how to switch it back to miles?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Digital odometer readout?

This first section will get you access to the settings and you should easily find what you need to change it back to English readout from there.

Locate the connector at the bottom of the instrument panel below the center of the glove box. Should be LB/Y, has "PSOM" printed on the connector in white lettering. Held in place with a plastic retainer.

Insert a jumper wire or alligator clip in service wire and clip other end to vehicle ground with the key in the OFF position.

Turn key to RUN while holding down the trip odometer RESET button on the speedometer.
Release RESET button The Speedometer will prove out(sweep across dial and back). The English/Metric and revision levels will be displayed.

(This section, the continuation of the above pertains more to setting changes for tire size but wanted to post the complete instructions as it pertains to saving settings and or exiting out without making setting changes)

The last number of the display id the dealer mode lockout count. This count shows the number of allowable conversion constant changes remaining. When the count is zero (0), no additional changes can be made to this instrument cluster. If a revisions required a service instrument cluster must be ordered.
Press and release RESET button again and PSOM conversion constant without the decimal point will be displayed followed by the word CAL.

Press and release the odometer SELECT button as many times as necessary to change the conversion constant to the correct value. The constant will only increase (not decrease) when the SELECT button is pressed so reducing the constant means counting up until the constant jumps to the bottom of the scale and begins counting up from there.

Pressing and releasing the RESET button to lock in the new conversion constant reduces the number of times the PSOM can be reprogrammed by one count. If you change your mind and want to go back to the old conversion constant, turn the key OFF BEFORE you lock in the new constant.

If that doesn't get you whats needed to change it back let us know.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
cojack
New User
Danr1, thanks for the reply. It is a digital readout. I understand the need to change the conversion constant when a different tire size is installed. The tire size has not changed. Is there a way to toggle between English and metric?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:31 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that was already answered...

Originally Posted by cojack
Danr1, thanks for the reply. It is a digital readout. I understand the need to change the conversion constant when a different tire size is installed. The tire size has not changed. Is there a way to toggle between English and metric?
Originally Posted by danr1
Digital odometer readout?

This first section will get you access to the settings and you should easily find what you need to change it back to English readout from there.

Locate the connector at the bottom of the instrument panel below the center of the glove box. Should be LB/Y, has "PSOM" printed on the connector in white lettering. Held in place with a plastic retainer.

Insert a jumper wire or alligator clip in service wire and clip other end to vehicle ground with the key in the OFF position.

Turn key to RUN while holding down the trip odometer RESET button on the speedometer.
Release RESET button The Speedometer will prove out(sweep across dial and back). The English/Metric and revision levels will be displayed.

(This section, the continuation of the above pertains more to setting changes for tire size but wanted to post the complete instructions as it pertains to saving settings and or exiting out without making setting changes)

The last number of the display id the dealer mode lockout count. This count shows the number of allowable conversion constant changes remaining. When the count is zero (0), no additional changes can be made to this instrument cluster. If a revisions required a service instrument cluster must be ordered.
Press and release RESET button again and PSOM conversion constant without the decimal point will be displayed followed by the word CAL.

Press and release the odometer SELECT button as many times as necessary to change the conversion constant to the correct value. The constant will only increase (not decrease) when the SELECT button is pressed so reducing the constant means counting up until the constant jumps to the bottom of the scale and begins counting up from there.

Pressing and releasing the RESET button to lock in the new conversion constant reduces the number of times the PSOM can be reprogrammed by one count. If you change your mind and want to go back to the old conversion constant, turn the key OFF BEFORE you lock in the new constant.

If that doesn't get you whats needed to change it back let us know.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
This has come up before about changing from English to metric or the other way around.
This has never been resolved and the consensus is that it can not be done at least by you.
The Ford dealer may be able to do it but if so nobody has ever told us if it could be done or not.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
I think that was already answered...
There is nothing in the two quotes about this problem.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:51 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by subford
This has come up before about changing from English to metric or the other way around.
This has never been resolved and the consensus is that it can not be done at least by you.
The Ford dealer may be able to do it but if so nobody has ever told us if it could be done or not.
Oh maybe I remember it wrong then, I thought sure when I was in there adjusting for tire size, my reason for accessing that function, that the option to change from English to metric or vise versa was there too?

That is the reason I posted what I did.

Haven't been in there in a while though so maybe I just don't remember it right?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 PM
cojack
New User
Thanks again - will try it over the weekend and let you know.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 PM
cojack
New User
This weekend I used the test procedure to display the current settings. It is definitely in overseas mode for kilometers. It displays the letter "O" and has 3 allowable changes left. Any thoughts on how to change it back to miles?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by subford

i went through every page of the ford service manual concerning this change a long time ago and nothing on how to do metric to english change was found.