Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best MPG Yet with the V10

Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 PM
reddnoze
Freshman User
reddnoze is starting off with a positive reputation.
to really find out empty ur tank put in 1 gallon of gas, then calculate. or just go 20 blocks, then call ur girlfriend tell her u ran outta gas

Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 PM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by scottman70 View Post
At least you tell the truth about gas mileage!!
V-10's getting 17 mpg? t
Down hill with a tailwind in Neutral with the engine off maybe!
R U calling me a liar? I did get an overhead display of 17MPG after driving 20 miles or so at 45MPH on I-40 in western NM or eastern AZ while driving my V10 4WD Limited. Calculated? No! I only write down the info at fill-ups ... but if you're calling me a liar for saying my overhead lie-o-meter was displaing 17MPG ... well, them thar's shootin' words.

If you don't believe me, feel free to try it for yourself! Go find yourself some flat freeway ... set your cruise-control at 45 or 46 MPH ... re-set your lie-o-meter to zero ... then sit back for 20 miles and watch. If you don't get at least 16 MPG, then you've got a problem with your V10 4WD with 3.73 gears.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
scottman70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scottman70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
At least you tell the truth about gas mileage!!
V-10's getting 17 mpg? t
Down hill with a tailwind in Neutral with the engine off maybe!

You guys and your "overhead displays" Jeez I can get 29mpg's on my overhead display with my 6.0 Ex, Then when you hand figure it it's usually 17.5-18.5!

We all play around with those overhead displays. You fill you truck and then get on the freeway and get up to 55 and reset the thing and it will say some ridiculous mpg's, but that aint accurate! Burn a full tank or even a half of tank and then fill it up and hand figure your mileage and that will be accurate! These kind of threads are so not full of much real world mpg truth!!!!
Did you read my post? I don't even have a V-10 I actually said I have gotten nearly 29 mpg on my lie-o-meter! I even said that I have reset my lie-o-meter on the freeway at 55 and it registers very high mpg's........... I know that your lie-o-meter will tell you what you want whenever you want just reset and let off the gas or reset and drive down hill! Nobody's calling you a liar..
But if there's 1 guy in this thread closest to the real world mpg's it's VASherriff! I have read thru hundreds of these threads and VASherriff is pretty right on to most others with V-10's! Most guys with V-10's have said that they get 7-9.5 mpg's in town and 10-13.5 mpg's on the highway.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
VaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cficare View Post
R U calling me a liar?
Relax! I don't think anybody is calling you a liar. We're just pointing out that you must have had a serious malfunction in your lie-a-meter for whatever reason. Somehow, something was feeding false information into your lie-a-meter maybe.

Having said the above, it is entirely possible that you were gradually going down in elevation for the entire 20 miles. Something like going from 4,000 feet above sea level to 2,000 feet above sea level. This might give you 17 mpg under the best of circumstances.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
scottman70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scottman70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by VaSheriff View Post
Relax! I don't think anybody is calling you a liar. We're just pointing out that you must have had a serious malfunction in your lie-a-meter for whatever reason. Somehow, something was feeding false information into your lie-a-meter maybe.

Having said the above, it is entirely possible that you were gradually going down in elevation for the entire 20 miles. Something like going from 4,000 feet above sea level to 2,000 feet above sea level. This might give you 17 mpg.
By the way the Sherriff, that's 1 nice looking Ex! I am kind of biased to that color of course!! Our trucks look pretty much identical!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
VaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud ofVaSheriff has much to be proud of
By the way the Sherriff, that's 1 nice looking Ex! I am kind of biased to that color of course!! Our trucks look pretty much identical!
I would have preferred black. Couldn't find one. Which was a blessing in disguise though. I am getting too lazy to spend an entire day waxing a black car or truck of any kind!

The mineral gray also matched the color on my Cadillac DTS perfect!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 PM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
DaveandJennyP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DaveandJennyP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I'll tell you what I get....believe me or not (2003 V-10 3.73's, just like vasheriffs). I get 7.5-8.5mpg pulling a 30' Travel Trailer 65-70mph. I get 11-12mpg in regular mixed driving. This may sound absurd but when I reset the lie-o-meter at the pump and don't touch it again until I fill up again, it has been consistantly within 1mpg of what I hand calculate for the whole tankful. So there.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
176.8miles on 11.4 gal to the top of the filler neck...... 15.50877192 mpg

i just filled up my Ex. i fill it up every week when i leave work, it a friday routine now.

i drive 17 miles each way to work (34 round trip), and occasionally drop the kids off at school which is an added 5 miles.you want to know my driving habits..... there's one stop light and a train track on my way to work.

start the truck, buckle up, set the ipod, get the volume right....... and drive out of my driveway...... moderate acceleration on average 2000-2200 rpms till up to 55mph. set the cruise. slow down once to 50mph back up to 55mph, slow down to turn at the light or stop..... the last 2.7 miles are at 40mph (set the cruise again). cross the tracks, and turn a corner an i'm at work.

2002 XLT 4x4, V10 slightly modified intake cover, 265/75/16 BFgoodrich at's,stock 4.30's with LS, stock exhaust, no third seat, and a 100lb hitch rack that i built at work, new door speakers and a set of 6x9s behind the second seat........ that's it no other mods, no chip, no tuner. speedo has been checked my our garmin gps, Etrex, and Laurence Gofinder......55mph is 55mph......

is there anything else you'd like to know about my driving habits or my Ex......... maybe since it's white the wind flows faster over it to allow for better milage....... don't know, but that's what i've been averaging...... if i have to run an errand or two after work it might knock 1-1.5 mpg off the top....... i try and stay out of town with it, the wife has the goober mobile for city running (min-van, 23city/27hwy).

Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 PM
gr8scott72
Posting Guru
gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DaveandJennyP View Post
Well I'll tell you what I get....believe me or not (2003 V-10 3.73's, just like vasheriffs). I get 7.5-8.5mpg pulling a 30' Travel Trailer 65-70mph. I get 11-12mpg in regular mixed driving. This may sound absurd but when I reset the lie-o-meter at the pump and don't touch it again until I fill up again, it has been consistantly within 1mpg of what I hand calculate for the whole tankful. So there.
Mine's even closer than that. I hand calculate EVERY tank of gas and it is ALWAYS 0.5 mpg less than the overhead says. (I reset the overhead every tank of gas too.)

Now, I do get a pretty good average as I don't like wasting my time stopping into the gas station and only fill up when almost all the way empty. I'll go over 300 miles even when towing 12k worth of stump grinder and skid steer before I fill up.

I've towed pretty hard this tank (most of it at or above 12k lbs) and am getting 8.2 mpg on the overhead which means it's actually 7.7 mpg. All in town, all towing.

Glad gas prices are creeping down right now. Hurts to give the gas station a hundred each time I fill up.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
gr8scott72
Posting Guru
gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cficare View Post
R U calling me a liar? I did get an overhead display of 17MPG after driving 20 miles or so at 45MPH on I-40 in western NM or eastern AZ while driving my V10 4WD Limited. Calculated? No! I only write down the info at fill-ups ... but if you're calling me a liar for saying my overhead lie-o-meter was displaing 17MPG ... well, them thar's shootin' words.

If you don't believe me, feel free to try it for yourself! Go find yourself some flat freeway ... set your cruise-control at 45 or 46 MPH ... re-set your lie-o-meter to zero ... then sit back for 20 miles and watch. If you don't get at least 16 MPG, then you've got a problem with your V10 4WD with 3.73 gears.
"Getting" 17 mpg on the overhead in 20 miles and ACTUALLY getting 17 mpg are two completely different things.

Let us know if you can go 748 miles on one tank of gas. That would be actually getting 17 mpg.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
my 04 v10 4x4 3:73, basicly all city some highway. best of 13mpg with some highway. around town i usealy see around 10.5. worst was 9mpg all city and just romping on it plus idle time.

i never bought this thing to get good gas milage lol

Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
ash_flat_diesel
Junior User
ash_flat_diesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a v10 4x4 limited before I got my diesel 4x4 limited & it got 17 mpg once

It was on a trailer behind the diesel!

It got 8-8.5 city & 12-12.5 hwy

My diesel gets about 14-15 city & almost 20 hwy
got nearly 25 once going 55 on the interstate following a bread van I bought. It was goverened at 55 max & was knocking a big hole in the wind for me!!

Old 09-05-2009, 02:49 AM
mrad
Senior User
mrad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow,
I didn't mean to get people so worked up. I always seem to be the guy that buys a vehicle that is supposed to get 20 mpg and I get 15, yet I baby it. I guess the reason for my post was that from what I had read, I was supposed to keep my speed at 55 mph to get the best mileage. My last tank I drove 75 and got my best MPG. If I can get over 13 mpg not towing on highways I will be very happy. I was just a little dissapointed getting less than 9 mpg towing a fairly lite weight TT. After reading Joe's posts and seeing that he averages about 8.5 mpg towing around 9,000 through mountains, I thought I could touch 10 mpg with the 6,000 TT in flat terrain.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:33 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
one thing that just killed my milage was my 20" wheels they are heavy as hell. i just filled up tonight ran it close to dry which i dont like to do. 390 miles on 42/gal of gas worked out to be around 9.2mpg mostly city.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:46 AM
6686L
Elder User
6686L is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
'05 V-10 4wd bone stock 3.73's
towing - average around 8 mpg (wildly flunctuates depending on wind direction) (11,000 lb. boat or car trailer.
naked - average around 14 - but as high as 16 under ideal conditions

as a side note, the "Lie-0-Meter" CAN be dead accurate, but for reasons I do not understand, can also be off as much as 1 mpg. ? ? ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best MPG Yet with the V10

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.