K & N Filters,

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 PM
FX4fordman2006
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using K&N filters in my cars for more than 25 years, never had any problems ever and their million mile warranty is awesome. Just keep them clean and easily re-oil em' up and they look like new...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree , theres nothing wrong with K&N filters , i have used them for years , the only time you might have a problem is if you have a highperformance motor with a mass air meter , if the filter gets over oiled , some of the oil can get sucked into the air intake & foul the air meter if its over oiled , if its oiled the right way you won't have this problem , im sure K&N knows this problem & think soon they will make an oil less filter for these applications soon ...Lew

Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
Not that I think I will change the mind of anyone who thinks Satan invented K&N filters, but here we go:

I've said it before, but just because 1% of K&N users used too much oil and it may have contributed to MAF failure, doesn't mean K&N filters are junk. My personal experience says otherwise. I don't doubt it has occurred, but I believe it was operator error and the stories have been greatly exaggerated, thus the term Urban Legend. I also don't doubt Ford made a training video, but that doesn't make the legend true.

I'm not too young to remember the 90's (maybe too old), but I base my beliefs on real world experience, not rumors tossed around on the 'net.
Just go look at the vid! it was made just a couple of years ago and is still required for all Ford MSE's

Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Beechkid
If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with it’s noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure ti terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
camerory
Freshman User
I used to use K&N, people say they only stop squirrels. I think they are okay as long as you keep them oiled. I have a S&B on my SuperDuty now and really like it, great engineered product overall!

Originally Posted by Mustang6147
How many people are having, or have had problems with K & N filters.... Or any Oiled filter element brand...

I am asking for actual issue's
Not I know a guy who has a brothers cousin, who blamed K&N for his 300000 mile MAF for going out... Which there is alot of.

It seems, that there are issue's caused from over oiling... Owner error if you will... But it is also Human nature, to blame for misfortunes...as well as a statement to ones character...

I wll say, I have posed this questions on many sites, my findings will be posted at the end...
Thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 PM
camerory
Freshman User
I think the people who usually have problems think the million mile warranty means, "no maintenance till 1,000,000 miles, yeah, just lazy people not doing routine maintenance, I haven't had a problem as well in 3 different vehicles.

Originally Posted by FX4fordman2006
I've been using K&N filters in my cars for more than 25 years, never had any problems ever and their million mile warranty is awesome. Just keep them clean and easily re-oil em' up and they look like new...

Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by camerory
I used to use K&N, people say they only stop squirrels. I think they are okay as long as you keep them oiled. I have a S&B on my SuperDuty now and really like it, great engineered product overall!
On mine, the K&N was installed right from the factory box, damaged 3 sensors in 90 days (each within 30 days) on a brand new Ford. On the 3rd round, Ford engineers issued the advisory regarding the oil contamination, replaced the unit with a printed directive not to use any oil impregnated filter- I pulled the K&N out in formt of the service advisor and have not had another single failure in 14 years. this is all document on OASIS btw....K&N's response in 1997, "that couldn't happen".

Previously I ran K&N's on my dirt bikes and even my 1990 F150, but the components are different- if you are lucky and haven't had a problem great! But the factory is even training techs (vids) on this and they are posted on flatratetech.com- specific to warranty claims and modifications to vehicles including oiled filters.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
camerory
Freshman User
It damaged your MAF correct? Did they blame too much oiling or all oiled air filter elements?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by camerory
It damaged your MAF correct? Did they blame too much oiling or all oiled air filter elements?
Correct- it damaged the MAF

They stated "oil contamination on element- remove oil impregnated filter and replace with OEM unit"

FYI- at that time, ford also had a policy that if the unit is damaged as a result of contamination, do not attempt to clean, replace the unit. I know many have had success cleaning the units with alcohol.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
falconpilot
Junior User
I had one on a 97 expy that went 250,000 miles with one and never had a problem.. Matter of fact, when I sold that truck, I pulled it and put it in my 2003 F250...

Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by falconpilot
I had one on a 97 expy that went 250,000 miles with one and never had a problem.. Matter of fact, when I sold that truck, I pulled it and put it in my 2003 F250...
Yes...and previously i ran one on my 1990 F150 the day it was delivered until 2006 when I sold it. But, it had a different system...the fact is that Ford, GM & Chrysler train it's techs regarding the damage that these "oiled" units may and have caused. Given the validaed info, the 3rd party testing that verifies that both in terms of filtering capacity, flow and post-filter flow patterns, cotton filters provide greater performance than K&N specific filters unless they have been specifically designed for a particular system...a one off so to speak (like the new Shelby's).