6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Should I buy a 2005 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 AM
aikimo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a 2005 6.0?

Dear All,

Hello.. I am looking at a 2005 6.0L PSD. The truck has 94k on it, and looks like it is in good shape. It seems like the 6.0L is not as bullet proof as the 7.3L was? I have heard that the 2003-2004 were the years to stay away from, and that the 2005 was fine? Does anyone have an opinion on this? How can I have an Oasis report run on the truck? Is there a way to do this beyond the dealer? Any input would be apprecaited as I have to make a decesion this morning..

Kind Regards
Mo

Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Cowboy65
Elder User
Welcome to FTE.

You will find a ton of good information about the 6.0 on this forum. If you haven't already you should visit the Tech Folder and check out the Search function. You can find out alot from previously discussed threads on this topic.

You are correct in that the 6.0 is not as "bulletproof" as the 7.3. However, you have to understand that the 6.0 is a much more complex engine than the 7.3 and must be maintained much more meticulously and isn't forgiving at all to throwing extra horsepower at it with generic tuners. I think lack of attention to detail on routine maintenance and adding extra HP without understanding the real effects on the engine and transmission are two major reasons this engine is looked upon as a problem child in the diesel world.

From what I have read and heard there are good and bad 6.0's in every year. There was a thread recently that had several respondents reporting high mileage and virtually no problems with 2003 model years which has been widely regarded as one of the most problem plagued years. However, I think Ford and/or International probably did work out some of the bugs after the first year or so and the 2005 and up are less likely to be problem children - IMO. Before buying a used 6.0 I would make sure of the following things:

* Clean OASIS & Carfax reports - previously you could get OASIS reports on FTE but Ford has become more restrictive and this now has to come from a dealership

* No performance modifications

* Learn as much as possible about the maintenance history of the truck. I wouldn't even consider buying the truck if I felt the routine maintenance had been neglected.

If you buy a 6.0 remember these three words and your likely to be happy with your purchase: maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
aikimo
New User
Thanks!

Greg,
Hello, and thanks. I just called a dealer, and had them run the Oasis report on the truck. The report showed O rings were replaced on the turbo housing in March of this year, but other than that nothing else. the carfax is clean as well...The only concern that I have is that the person selling the truck is a wholesaler, and not the original owner, so he does not have any service records at all.... From what I have read so far, it seems that most of the issues were worked out by 2005..

Thanks for your input..
Mo

Old 09-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Cowboy65
Elder User
A couple of additional things to look for are:

* Make sure there are no signs of "coolant puking". This problem shows up as a white residue on or around the degas bottle. Puking can be a result of something as simply as overfilling the degas bottle or as complex as blown head gaskets. At any rate I wouldn't take a chance on a used truck that had this problem.

* Make sure it has the original Motorcraft/Donaldson air filter and not an aftermarket intake.

* Try to find out if the engine has been idled alot. This can cause problems with the EGR.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Another three word phrase to help remember is...The 3 "F"'s...Fluids (i.e. 5w-40 Syn Oil, Flush Brake system, Flush Power Steering, Flush Transmission); Filters (i.e. Donaldson Air filter only, you may want to add a coolant filter, CCV filter, Oil bypass filter or Power Steering filter,... Fuel filters, Tranny filters); and Fuel (may consider Cetane boosters and lubricity additives) Always check the fuel...get to know the fuel stations reputation for good Cetane levels...don't always go for the cheapest priced Diesel....make sure your changing fluids/filters when required and that they are the best as specified...doesn't mean they neccesarily have to be Motorcraft...but at the very least Motorcraft unless you find something that is better quality.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Eric Froberg
5th Wheeling
I have a 05 Ex with the 6.0 bought new in Aug. of 05. I now have 37k miles on it and knock on wood (my head) it has been a great vehicle and done all I have asked. No issues. I am a complete nut with maintance and go above and beyond and will continue to do so.