Sponsored by: Moser

Engine removal from transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:16 PM
taneum
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine removal from transmission?

So I got the engine loose and bell housing bolts removed, how do I disconnect transmission from engine block?

400ci and C6 Automatic

Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Is the engine/trans still in the truck?
Remove the four nuts that connect the torque converter to the flywheel.
DO NOT Try to remove the engine with the torque converter attached. You risk breaking the stator support off of the pump.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:25 PM
taneum
Senior User
I am stripped all the way down to the frame, everything excepts the drivetrain. Cab and fenders and box are off. There are some bolts along the bottom edge of the transmission. Those ones?

Old 03-30-2013, 01:28 PM
taneum
Senior User
But only two

Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
pull the inspection cover at bottom of trans at the motor .. rotate the crank shaft from the front taking loose and out each bolt that connects the flexplate to the torque converter as they become accessible with crank shaft rotation ..

Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Rivergreen74
Junior User
Also, use a socket on those torque converter bolts as they are soft and deform easily.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 PM
taneum
Senior User
Originally Posted by redroad
pull the inspection cover at bottom of trans at the motor .. rotate the crank shaft from the front taking loose and out each bolt that connects the flexplate to the torque converter as they become accessible with crank shaft rotation ..
Done....now for the flywheel removal........6 bolt in front but I cannot turn them without the whole crankshaft wanting to turn......

Old 03-30-2013, 02:17 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Originally Posted by taneum
Done....now for the flywheel removal........6 bolt in front but I cannot turn them without the whole crankshaft wanting to turn......
Use something like a big screw driver or a small pry bar. Stick the end of the screw driver (or what ever you're using) in the teeth of the flex plate and brace the screw driver against the engine so the flex plate can't turn.
You can also stick the screwdriver through a hole in the flywheel to do the same thing.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When removing the flexplate to crankshaft bolts use a impact wrench, this should zip them out without turning the crank.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry maybe I misunderstood you, if your removing the torque converter nuts use a socket and rachet so when the flex plate turns the socket will hit the side of the tin shield stopping it from turning allowing you to loosen the nuts. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Originally Posted by J ballan
Sorry maybe I misunderstood you, if your removing the torque converter nuts use a socket and rachet so when the flex plate turns the socket will hit the side of the tin shield stopping it from turning allowing you to loosen the nuts. Good luck.
Pretty sure he's talking about the crank bolts (6), there should've only been four torque converter nuts.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM
taneum
Senior User
Wow thanks guys for the help...much appreciated. I got the 4 nuts removed for the torque converter and then broke the bolts lose for the fly wheel with my impact gun. Wasn't sure if I should use an impact gun for that so I went light and they came right out.

I know I may sound like I am in over my head on this restoration, but I do not care. All of you have been a great help with my questions. I am learning every single day. I'll be honest, when I got the engine off, I had to look at the shop manuals to find out what the big round thing and the wheel with all the teeth were...lol... Now I know.

Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Wow thanks guys for the help...much appreciated. I got the 4 nuts removed for the torque converter and then broke the bolts lose for the fly wheel with my impact gun. Wasn't sure if I should use an impact gun for that so I went light and they came right out.

I know I may sound like I am in over my head on this restoration, but I do not care. All of you have been a great help with my questions. I am learning every single day. I'll be honest, when I got the engine off, I had to look at the shop manuals to find out what the big round thing and the wheel with all the teeth were...lol... Now I know.

Thanks again!
For reassembly something to remember the bolts that held the big round thingy with teeth (flexplate on auto tranny and flywheel on manual tranny) as well as the torque converter bolts all must have loctite on the bolts when reassembled

Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 PM
sirjonathon
New User
Originally Posted by redroad
I am at the same point on my truck. I've removed the starter and the 2 bolts holding the inspection cover on but this cover is not moving. What is the best way to remove the inspection cover?

Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 PM
sirjonathon
New User
Please disregard my previous post. I figured it out.

Quick Reply: Engine removal from transmission?