Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help sealing electrical for mudding

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
95f250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help sealing electrical for mudding

Ok I have 95 f250 standard cab longbed with a 351 Windsor and 33-12.50 brand new mud tires on 16x10 eagle alloys I'm new to mudding so I need to know exactly what to do to my truck to make it able to handle some mud electricly or anything else u have to do please help I need it fast

Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 PM
SaikotikGunman
Posting Guru
Check the seals on your differentials, and if you're going through deep mud/water, check and change gear oil regularly. Same for lube on pretty much everything up front, too. Every time anything with grease in it goes underwater on my truck, I re-grease it thoroughly. Muddy water is a nasty nasty thing, as noted last time I took my front manual hubs apart. While we're at it, that big O-ring under the cap on the manual hubs should be checked and replaced if necessary.

Make sure all the shielding is in place to keep mud/water from being shot up into the engine compartment by the tires. But mud will still find its way in there. You can use inner-tube and cable ties to make hoods to protect ignition components, sensors, etc. While a previous owner of one of my trucks decided it'd be a good idea to silicone the distributor cap down, I'm not sure I'd suggest that, as getting it back off is a pain in the ***.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
yeah but on the other hand you need to find some way to seal up the engine control box and that could be a pain im still trying to find somethin i could retro fit in there that would seal that biotch up (i think i might be able to use the seals from the air cleaners in the big rigs at work, if/when i make this work i will show you)

then find every plug/connection you can and gob it up with good die electric grease

another thing that should be sealed is the starter, somehow. get mud water in there and it could screw you over big time

a way you could avoid a lot of this is create a belly tarp, for those who are unfamiliar, its a tarp that would connect with the front bumper, the skirts (inner fenders if you prefer), engine x-member, and the tranny x-member, over top of the front driveshaft and axle...this would keep mud out and most of the water from splashing up, but if you find yourself headlight deep in a river it aint gonna do much, but they are cheap to make and do help but they also make the truck run warmer (not a bad thing for those of us who regularily see -40 * C for 6 months of the year)...alot of northern big rigs run these to help keep the engines warm and keep stuff from freezing, like a winter jacket for a big rig