1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My GT500 truck build thread...picture intensive!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Atwiss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well Carrol Shelby and others do prefer manual transmissions over automatics,

but as a defender of the automatic transmission i will note a little fact that isn't well known, Carrol Shelby used to own the famous 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake which had a amazing 427 V8 with two Paxton superchargers which gave it around 800HP, and it was originally destined to have a manual transmission, but as it proved out, Carrol Shelby had to put in a 3-speed C6 automatic, as the manual transmissions would not handle the power from the twin super charged 427, even the clutches would explode as the power was to great for the clutch to handle, also a second one was built and sold to Bill Cosby, but ironically he returned it to Shelby, stating it was too fast for him! the next person to own the car after Bill Cosby actually got killed when he drove the car off a cliff at high speed, also starting in 1966 GT350s and eventually GT500s starting in '67 had a automatic transmission as a option, i guess the '66 Cobra 427 Super Snake started this trend,

so lets not forget at one time only a automatic transmission could handle 800HP monster engines! but as technology has moved forward, so has manual and automatic technology, in fact some automakers are combining aspects from the manual transmission to automatics, which are in fact called Manumatics, which will be the future of all transmissions some day,

HowStuffWorks "What's the most expensive American car ever sold?"

-Brent

Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 PM
79 f-150 guy
Elder User
did you do a manual trans convertion?? what trans did you use??

Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You mean conversion...

Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 PM
79 f-150 guy
Elder User
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal
You mean conversion...
i never was much for book learnin....

Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 PM
79 f-150 guy
Elder User
[quote=1977f150xlt;8911701]well Carrol Shelby and others do prefer manual transmissions over automatics,

but as a defender of the automatic transmission i will note a little fact that isn't well known, Carrol Shelby used to own the famous 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake which had a amazing 427 V8 with two Paxton superchargers which gave it around 800HP, and it was originally destined to have a manual transmission, but as it proved out, Carrol Shelby had to put in a 3-speed C6 automatic, as the manual transmissions would not handle the power from the twin super charged 427, even the clutches would explode as the power was to great for the clutch to handle, also a second one was built and sold to Bill Cosby, but ironically he returned it to Shelby, stating it was too fast for him! the next person to own the car after Bill Cosby actually got killed when he drove the car off a cliff at high speed, also starting in 1966 GT350s and eventually GT500s starting in '67 had a automatic transmission as a option, i guess the '66 Cobra 427 Super Snake started this trend,

so lets not forget at one time only a automatic transmission could handle 800HP monster engines! but as technology has moved forward, so has manual and automatic technology, in fact some automakers are combining aspects from the manual transmission to automatics, which are in fact called Manumatics, which will be the future of all transmissions some day.

i agree i like my auto trucks.. plus you cant shift as fast as an auto can, thats why most racers like them.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 95stepside
^ frame widthis not the same after 1980, so no go on that hitch
Hmmm.. that's news to me.... got my bolt-on hitch from an 80s Bronco and it fit perfectly.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal
Subscribed, you should update us more often, you went 6 months with no update...
I would update more often if I had time, and I have posted other threads in that time. Work takes up most of my time right now, I've still got bills to pay, and it seems like I am constantly working on the house and/or property when I am not actually at work.

Fear not though, loyal subscribers...I will be doing updates frequently during my vacation time this summer.

79 f-150 guy, I have technically been in the process of converting to a manual since November...and now that all the pieces are ready and waiting, I'll probably be doing the actual swap starting mid next month. It's currently a C6, and I'm replacing that with a 33K original mile HD 3 speed from a '69 F100 with a 360.

I think there may be other issues that I will have to deal with when I take out the automatic...such as replacing the oil pan gasket and potentially the rear main seal...don't wanna tackle that if I'm not going to have time to finish it all at once.

Brent, I will be doing Shelby stripes...the final color will be Wimbledon white metallic with cast iron metallic gray stripes. Haven't decided how many or what scheme yet, but I am leaning toward two big fat stripes with two thin ones outboard and about 1/2 inch spacing between. The lower door and fender treatment will basically be unchanged from the original Shelby design.

Krewat, I am considering (in the fairly distant future) a 428 SCJ if I can find a good cheap 428 block to start with.

ArcadeTom, that's a cool idea for the hood scoop...I get exactly what you're saying. When I pictured it in my head I saw an end result not unlike the '71 Mustang Boss 351 scoops. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to do if you had the tools to do it. I may consider something like that if this design doesn't pan out...but I think it will...this scoop is being 100% custom made for this truck.

HIO Silver, I have three bolt-on hitches in the shed, and I have considered using something similar to the front bumper on the rear. In fact, I'm still considering it. I don't know if any of the hitches will work, but I have them.

And that's another thing that needs to be done before I get back on the truck...cleaning up the shed. I've got a ton of stuff that needs to be organized and sorted through. If the weather holds up I will be doing that tomorrow and getting some things ready to sell over the summer. No truck stuff...sorry, guys. I'm keeping all of that.

Oh, and I don't want to give you all the impression that this thing will be done anytime soon. I am making good progress, but there are lots of things that you don't see (and some that you do) which still need to be done before stuff like paint ever makes it on to the calendar. I'm doing what I can with what I have or what I can scrounge, so it may take me awhile to go from concept to reality depending on what pieces I can find to do it.

Be patient with me and I will do my best to keep you informed any time I have something worthwhile to show/ share.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 PM
79 f-150 guy
Elder User
AH, THE 3-SPEED.. I NEVER HAD SOMETHING SO MISERABLE. THE GEAR SPACING IS SO FAR APART YOU JUST CANT MAKE IT WORK GOOD, THATS WHY I HAD SWAPPED MINE TO A T5 MUSTANG 5-SPEED. THAT WORKED GREAT AND DESPITE BEING A CAR TRANNY IT WAS VERY TOUGH.... BUT AS FAR AS THE 3-SPEEDS GO, I HOPE I NEVER OWN ANOTHER ONE, OH GOD IT SUCKED..

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM
79 f-150 guy
Elder User
MAYBE YOURS WILL BE BETTER WITH THE 360, I HAD A 302 IN MINE AT THE TIME.. JUST BUY A GOOD HURST SHIFTER FOR IT, THATS THE BEST INVESTMENT.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 79 f-150 guy
MAYBE YOURS WILL BE BETTER WITH THE 360, I HAD A 302 IN MINE AT THE TIME.. JUST BUY A GOOD HURST SHIFTER FOR IT, THATS THE BEST INVESTMENT.

Already got a brand new Indy shifter and a custom made stick...calibrated and ready to bolt on.

Torque and rear end gearing are the key with a three speed. I have 3.00:1 gearing in the rear, but my 360 has a ton of torque.

My buddy in high school had a '77 with a 302 and three with a Hurst Indy in the floor, and it was as smooth as butter. His 302 was a bit asthmatic going up Black Mountain, granted, but other than revving it in second up there, he never had any trouble. I think his was a 3.50 rear gear.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:13 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Blackened Bars & Bright Leading Edges

Here's what I did to "The F-Bomb" as described in my earlier post (I hope posting the image works cuz it'll be my first time.. be gentle!):

And a close-up:

Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 PM
79 f350ts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Here's what I did to "The F-Bomb" as described in my earlier post (I hope posting the image works cuz it'll be my first time.. be gentle!):

And a close-up:

never been a fan of painted grill shells but that one kicks ***!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Thanks 79F350ts. I did alot of azz scratching on how to paint it up.

As a budget build ($4,500 limit) the cost for a new repro shell was way too high to justify in the budget. I hunted the yards but didn't find a decent shell so I reused mine after alot of hammering to make it decent. Second, blacking out the entire grill inserts would have made the front end a big black hole and nearly unrecognizable as a 73/74. Third, the F-O-R-D letters stood out too much with the camo paint scheme so I painted the recesses gloss black. Some fine line tape, a razor blade, a can of dark charcoal spray paint with very fine metallic flakes in it), and two hours of patience got'er done.

I think the paint treatment preserved enough detail to communicate that yes, it's a big ol' Ford that you are looking at.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 1977f150xlt
well Carrol Shelby and others do prefer manual transmissions over automatics....

also a second one was built and sold to Bill Cosby, but ironically he returned it to Shelby, stating it was too fast for him!...

so lets not forget at one time only a automatic transmission could handle 800HP monster engines! but as technology has moved forward,
You're talking about an older man with a bum heart and bum knees. He couldn't operate the racing clutch.

As also the case with Bill Cosby a lame-wad wannabe who also couldn't use the manual and stiff clutch.

You had Nascar with 600+ horsepower and not to mention NITRO burning rails and Gassers with over 1000+ horsepower using Ford toploaders.

And do you know what some Altered Funny Cars did? Used a C6 transmission with a MANUAL clutch. Quite an interesting piece. Referred to as a Poor Man's Lenco. Good for over 1200+ horspower.

Josh

Quick Reply: My GT500 truck build thread...picture intensive!!!!