Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What should my next upgrade be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:45 AM
greatwhitef350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should my next upgrade be?

I have been thinking of doing the tank mods and regulated fuel return next. I was thinking of using both of ITP Diesel kits. You guys think that's a good decision and I would also like to do the fuel delete at the same time but what kind of filter will I replace that with.

Last edited by greatwhitef350; 08-29-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 08-29-2009, 06:05 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think those are all worthwhile mods. Unless you're in a hurry I think Clay is working on those kits right now.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 AM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Here's what I used when I did my in tank mods.http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php .This is a good mod to do for getting the air out of the fuel.

I picked up a small in line filter for in the line before the fuel pump.

I like ITPs reg return,Just to much $$$ for me.If you do the RR you will need a 2 micron filter between the fuel pump and the engine.I don't have the filter numember I'll see if I can find it.

Yes,these are good mods to do! I just have to do the reg return yet.ITP has good products as well as http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:17 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greatwhitef350
I have been thinking of doing the tank mods and regulated fuel return next. I was thinking of using both of ITP Diesel kits. You guys think that's a good decision and I would also like to do the fuel delete at the same time but what kind of filter will I replace that with.

I can't put my finger on why, but I like your truck. A LOT.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:28 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I installed the ITP fuel tank/pre-pump kit a few years ago and ITP's regulated return when I did the injectors. Great kits - would do it again.

Definitely get on the pre-pump kit, it's a must do mod IMO.

Brad, Did you mean to say you need the filter if you do the bowl delete not the regulated return?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:39 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may want to consider changing out the fuel pump if you do the intank mods and use the canister (screw on) type filter. There have been a couple of cases of the stock fuel pump going south after the mods. This, we think, is due to the pump suching through the extra finer micron filter after having xxxxxxx miles on it. I would go with a Walbro pump.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:14 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Jim,

I haven't looked into the fuel pumps in quite a while. Is the Walbro pump a simple swap or is it a more involved mod?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
I installed the ITP fuel tank/pre-pump kit a few years ago and ITP's regulated return when I did the injectors. Great kits - would do it again.

Definitely get on the pre-pump kit, it's a must do mod IMO.

Brad, Did you mean to say you need the filter if you do the bowl delete not the regulated return?

Thats it Rich!I Forgot you can get one and keep the fuel bowl.

There is a walbro pump that bolts right into the stock location.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:26 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks Brad!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:31 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
sweet truck!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:39 AM
greatwhitef350
Junior User
So starting from the tank I would get the ITP in tank mod with the external filter it comes with to the walbro pump to the ITP regulated return kit w/ fuel delete bowl. Would I need another filter between the pump and regulated return kit. Would I benefit from adding a AirDog with other modifications I'm doing and where would it go after the pump or before.

Last edited by greatwhitef350; 08-30-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 08-30-2009, 07:36 AM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by greatwhitef350
So starting from the tank I would get the ITP in tank mod with the external filter it comes with to the walbro pump to the ITP regulated return kit w/ fuel delete bowl. Would I need another filter between the pump and regulated return kit. Would I benefit from adding a AirDog with other modifications I'm doing and where would it go after the pump or before.

Yes,if you do that set up you still need a filter between the pump and Reg Return.

If you get a airdog set up you can skip the intank mods,remove the stock fuel pump,install the air dog,and install the reg return W/fuel bowl delete and your good.The airdog will remove the air from your fuel as it pass through it.So you would save yourself some trouble by doing the airdog,just spending more money.

I would still drop the tank and do the harpoon mod.Makes filling the tank all the way full easier.

There is a few kits on the market for our fuel systems.Call the dealers and ask questions also(remember there salesmen also) and they can tell you how it all works.

Search through the fourms or ask more questions on here.A bunch of guys have done DIY RR set up here.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 AM
greatwhitef350
Junior User
I have heard that you need to install a 2 micron filter if you delete the fuel bowl so most like it would go in front of the AirDog, correct. Is the pump from the AirDog just as strong as the stock one.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I can't put my finger on why, but I like your truck. A LOT.
Yes it does look vaguely familure.......

Jim,

I haven't looked into the fuel pumps in quite a while. Is the Walbro pump a simple swap or is it a more involved mod?
Hey Rich good to see you around! It is a pretty straightforward swap. IIRC you can cut off the factory pushlock fittings and use hose barbs. It is a much better pump and the price makes it much sweeter too.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jim,

Rich,

LINK to my photobucket info on switching to the Walbro.