1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

so i took off the passenger side valve cover.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
caleb90
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question so i took off the passenger side valve cover.....

so i took my passenger side valve cover off today..i took that side off because ive been having problems with codes and running issuse on that side.there didnt seem to be any thing out of the ordinary when i poped the cover off..the harness was conected but i think it wasnt locked together all the way,so i did the quater mod and put her back together..i didnt do the other side cus i ran out of time but ill do that side soon.I hope i fixed my running problem there wasnt any chaffed wires or nothing so my fingers are crossed.But i have a question...how much does the whole dip stick set up cost from ford?mine is leaking on the oil pan and i broke the tube braket that go's on the valve cover.But i feel bad for my truck now because after i got her to together i went out and ran the pi** out of it to see if i could get it to do it..

I did get the ses light to come on but i think it was eather over boost or icp over ideal pressure..because the light came on at about 2800rpm at about 80mph under high boost.But that leads me to another question how much can these motors take for abuse?im really afraid to beat on it in fear that i might hurt the motor because its a diesle,like tonight i was having it shift at about 3200rpm and now i feel like im gonna go out tommoro and have something wrong.should i be worried?Sorry for the long post thanks guys..

Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by caleb90
so i took my passenger side valve cover off today..i took that side off because ive been having problems with codes and running issuse on that side.there didnt seem to be any thing out of the ordinary when i poped the cover off..the harness was conected but i think it wasnt locked together all the way,so i did the quater mod and put her back together..i didnt do the other side cus i ran out of time but ill do that side soon.I hope i fixed my running problem there wasnt any chaffed wires or nothing so my fingers are crossed.But i have a question...how much does the whole dip stick set up cost from ford?mine is leaking on the oil pan and i broke the tube braket that go's on the valve cover.But i feel bad for my truck now because after i got her to together i went out and ran the pi** out of it to see if i could get it to do it..

I did get the ses light to come on but i think it was eather over boost or icp over ideal pressure..because the light came on at about 2800rpm at about 80mph under high boost.But that leads me to another question how much can these motors take for abuse?im really afraid to beat on it in fear that i might hurt the motor because its a diesle,like tonight i was having it shift at about 3200rpm and now i feel like im gonna go out tommoro and have something wrong.should i be worried?Sorry for the long post thanks guys..
Caleb,
First off get ahold of Ed, www.partsguyed.com, and he can get you the dip stick tube. I need to do the same thing since Layson had his way with it while we were changing injectors, headstuds and springs.

Second, these trucks can handle way more than most of use give them credit for. Go out and have fun, better to use it then just put around all the time

Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
caleb90
More Turbo
also. is it normall to have more blow by when the motor isnt up to full temp?When i motor is up to full temp i have very little air as blow bye i have a decent amount of steam that comes out,but if you put your hand over the fill tube u can feel a slight
puff....puff....puff....puff there about 2 sec apart from each other but there slight.but today i checked my blow bye and my motor was about half temp,it had the same pateran as when its up to temp but u can feel the puffs of air more noticable..is that normall?thanks

Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Caleb,
First off get ahold of Ed, www.partsguyed.com, and he can get you the dip stick tube. I need to do the same thing since Layson had his way with it while we were changing injectors, headstuds and springs.

Second, these trucks can handle way more than most of use give them credit for. Go out and have fun, better to use it then just put around all the time

Hey now...

Old 08-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
also. is it normall to have more blow by when the motor isnt up to full temp?When i motor is up to full temp i have very little air as blow bye i have a decent amount of steam that comes out,but if you put your hand over the fill tube u can feel a slight
puff....puff....puff....puff there about 2 sec apart from each other but there slight.but today i checked my blow bye and my motor was about half temp,it had the same pateran as when its up to temp but u can feel the puffs of air more noticable..is that normall?thanks
I think you are fine. I have seen trucks with alot of blow by and some with very little.

I wouldn't be too worried about being hard on your truck... that is what they are made for...

Old 08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're fine. When I dyno'ed mine last year, it ran up to 3400+...

Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 PM
caleb90
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Layson
I think you are fine. I have seen trucks with alot of blow by and some with very little.

I wouldn't be too worried about being hard on your truck... that is what they are made for...

when i think of a diesle i think of low rpms,i came from a gasser world so im still trying to adjust to the diesle's..the only experiance i have with diesle's is our d8 cat 922 cat and skid steer.so i gotta get over the slow moving diesle thing..

Old 08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
when i think of a diesle i think of low rpms,i came from a gasser world so im still trying to adjust to the diesle's..the only experiance i have with diesle's is our d8 cat 922 cat and skid steer.so i gotta gwt over the slow moving diesle thing..

same here.. first time I got it.. I thought this thing would be a pig. But it is an entire different beast. I don't think I could ever go back to a gasser... LOL

Old 08-28-2009, 06:04 PM
caleb90
More Turbo
so what should i look for if i get the same problem?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:57 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Maybe try the same thing on the other side and see if there are any problems there?

Old 08-29-2009, 02:03 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I am surprised no one mentioned it yet but if you are going to be in the valve cover you should be re-torquring rockers and injectors while you are in there. If you are going to to due the work to open it up you might as well at least do the cheap stuff while you are in there. Just my .02.

Hope it fixed your problem.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:06 PM
caleb90
More Turbo
i was going to re torq every thing but i was runing out of time and had to get her buttoned back up..im sure ill have it opend back up for surgery soon any ways..

Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
I am surprised no one mentioned it yet but if you are going to be in the valve cover you should be re-torquring rockers and injectors while you are in there. If you are going to to due the work to open it up you might as well at least do the cheap stuff while you are in there. Just my .02.

Hope it fixed your problem.