2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:18 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 AM
bowkill
Freshman User
Got the wet floor and just ordered the elbow.
Ford has a new part number.
4M2Z-6A614-AA
and now it is $18.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 PM
keisha9
Tuned
I guess its a aluminum 90 now..lol

Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM
ctvarner
New User
another explanation

'08 SCREW, same problem, coming from up front somewhere. 3rd brake light is siliconed, plus I caught the puddle spreading front-to-back after drying it all out. Still didn't see where it was getting in, though, just not from the back.

I bought the AC drain elbow, which was $18 and black rubber, not aluminum - wonder if I got ripped off. Tip: also get two standard black plastic "push pins". It's well worth a buck or two to just cut the old ones, one in the top of the liner just forward of center, one in the extreme front outside corner.

I pulled the right front wheel and started removing the liner. The area behind the lower rearward section of liner, i.e. directly behind the mud flap, was completely packed solid with leaves and dirt and muck, sopping wet. I suspect rain water coming down from above was backing up behind this muck and finding its way into the cabin floor.

There's also a sort of boxy diagonal brace above that area, behind the liner and below the hood hinge, with drain holes out the bottom; this too was full of dirt and leaves and a sopping wet wad of firewall insulation (mouse nest?). I used a bit of coat hanger to pick out as much crud as I could through the drain holes, then ran some water in from above with a hose, which washed more crud into the holes; lather, rinse, repeat until clean.

I installed the AC drain anyway - in for a penny, in for a pound - but suspect my leak was almost certainly caused by those two areas behind the liner not draining freely due to years of accumulated leaves and muck.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:56 PM
sidjnsn
New User
Just wanted to share my experience with same symptoms, different source. My driver side carpet was getting wet. I found that the wiring channel on that side was filling with water. Easily figured out it was coming from the front versus rear. Then the fun started. I'll spare you the days of frustration and gallons of water spent. Here is the bottom line: 1) Water can build up in cavities and take time to drain into the cab, so you have to dry out the channel and wait to ensure it doesn't refill before starting a new leak test (15 mins); 2. Rolling the carpet back and taking the kick panel off gives you good access to the wiring channel. I never could see where the water came through, but I could see quickly when water was in the channel; 3. there is a hole on each side, just under the cowling, that is filled in at the mfr with some kind of putty. I replaced this with RTV silicone; 4. Remove the inner liner on the fender (it's simple) and you can look up in the fender and see a hole where water is supposed to drain down. Mine was full of leaf debris. There is also a seam in the firewall behind there. I covered that with RTV as well. One or more of those put an end to the leaks coming from water in the cowling. 5. Finally, I place a tarp over the windshield and began hosing it down, 15 minutes at a time, and raising the tarp. Found there was a leak around the lower part of the windshield. Before calling the windshield folks, I popped the trim off the right side of the windshield and found dirt/debris in there that would have impeded the flow of water down the right side of the windshield. Sprayed all that out with water and replaced the trim. No more leaks.

I was reminded that troubleshooting is made way harder when there are two causes for the problem! Guess that's what I get for keeping the '04 this long, but it's just too good of a truck.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Robjb
New User
Originally Posted by sidjnsn
Just wanted to share my experience with same symptoms, different source. My driver side carpet was getting wet. I found that the wiring channel on that side was filling with water. Easily figured out it was coming from the front versus rear. Then the fun started. I'll spare you the days of frustration and gallons of water spent. Here is the bottom line: 1) Water can build up in cavities and take time to drain into the cab, so you have to dry out the channel and wait to ensure it doesn't refill before starting a new leak test (15 mins); 2. Rolling the carpet back and taking the kick panel off gives you good access to the wiring channel. I never could see where the water came through, but I could see quickly when water was in the channel; 3. there is a hole on each side, just under the cowling, that is filled in at the mfr with some kind of putty. I replaced this with RTV silicone; 4. Remove the inner liner on the fender (it's simple) and you can look up in the fender and see a hole where water is supposed to drain down. Mine was full of leaf debris. There is also a seam in the firewall behind there. I covered that with RTV as well. One or more of those put an end to the leaks coming from water in the cowling. 5. Finally, I place a tarp over the windshield and began hosing it down, 15 minutes at a time, and raising the tarp. Found there was a leak around the lower part of the windshield. Before calling the windshield folks, I popped the trim off the right side of the windshield and found dirt/debris in there that would have impeded the flow of water down the right side of the windshield. Sprayed all that out with water and replaced the trim. No more leaks.

I was reminded that troubleshooting is made way harder when there are two causes for the problem! Guess that's what I get for keeping the '04 this long, but it's just too good of a truck.
thanks for the great write up. I'm in troubleshooting phase right now. This will save me tons of time

Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 PM
sidjnsn
New User
Originally Posted by Robjb
thanks for the great write up. I'm in troubleshooting phase right now. This will save me tons of time
You're very welcome. Hope it will save you some pain.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:43 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
I had the same issue with my 08. It was the third brakelight leaking. Water running down the rear pillars , into the wiring channel, and the front pass side, drivers side carpet was soaking it up.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:33 PM
luv2wire
New User
I have the same problem/leak

Originally Posted by PA.Mike
I had tried the infamous other three repairs (rear light seal, air cond. 90degree extension, Firewall grommets) with no success.

After a very long time I found that the water was all coming in from the small hole at the bottom of the passenger door seal. Water would flow down that seal into that hole like a trout stream. Water collected under the fuse panel and made the carpet soaking wet.
Stand at your open passenger door and follow the top seal to where it stops on the right side. At the end of the seal you will see the black -round push pin fastener. The hole where this goes into is your leak source. I eliminated the pin, patched the hole and reattached the seal with 3m sealant.
Hope this help out.
Hello could you post a pic of where this hole would be , I can't find what you are talking about

Old 09-05-2018, 07:56 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
You are going to be waiting for that picture. The post is from 2013 the same time that user was last active.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:43 PM
luv2wire
New User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
You are going to be waiting for that picture. The post is from 2013 the same time that user was last active.
Yep I forgot about it was in 2013

Old 10-05-2018, 03:26 PM
StarFox
Senior User
I just found both sides wet under the WeatherTech mats of my '08. I never would have suspected a 3rd light, but i know mine has a crack in the plastic on both sides. I'll check that as well as behind the fender liner. Good write-up.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:20 PM
luv2wire
New User
Think I found the source of my leak

After read other forums about water collecting in box where blower is at, I pulled out my blower (under the hood) and I saw a water line in the box. So I drilled a hole in the bottom of the box after you have to partially move the inner fender over the passenger front wheel. I also removed the grill and wipers to get all the straw and leaves out of the gutters. So far no wet floor board plus my truck sat through Hurricane Florence and still dry inside

Old 10-08-2018, 03:00 PM
StarFox
Senior User
What's a waterline doing in that box? Is it a drain from something else?

Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 PM
luv2wire
New User
Wet floorboard , water in blower box

I believe the water collected in the box from rain water over flowing in the gutter because of the straw and leaves collecting there over time. Instead of draining down and out to the ground it was overflowing into the air intake into the blower box. Ever since I vacuumed the straw and leaves from the gutter and drilled the hole in the fan/ blower box no more wet floor board.

Quick Reply: Wet floorboard