Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Row Seat swap info: Bench/Buckets (will it work?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2nd Row Seat swap info: Bench/Buckets (will it work?)

Just wanted to share some info I gathered. I see the question asked quite often here about swapping from Bench seat to the 2nd row Captain's chairs and vice-versa. First off, there is a good article here in the TECH FOLDER: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ml#post3797528

So here's what I know: I am currently working on both a 2002 Limited Diesel Ex which had Quad Captain's chairs and a 2000 V8 Gas Ex. with the split bench. I removed both interiors and carpet to reveal the seat mounts. As you can see from the pics below, there are a few differences... not to mention the amount of sound deadening material from one to the other, but that's another thread I will write later...
  • You CAN easily add a bench to a 2002 (and up I assume?) X that had Rear Buckets. All the threaded mounting holes are there (as covered in the thread listed above in the Tech Folder)
  • Assuming the same floor setup, you CAN easily add dual Buckets to a 2002 (and up?) X that originally came with a split bench. *I am assuming from '02 up Ford put the revised floor and all the mounts in place for all EX's. - can anyone comfirm this?
  • You CAN'T easily add Rear buckets to a 2000 (and possibly 2001) X. Two mounting holes are missing and there is a rib molded into the floor right where a mount would go. I'm not saying it cant be done (because I intend to do it to this one). But it will require modifying the floor and adding some threaded holes/nuts/inserts. NOT A DROP-IN JOB. Does anyone have a 2001 that they can look at the floor and confirm that it is like the 2000 model???
Pictures should say it all. Hopefully it makes sense with the arrows I added. Not all holes are easy to see but they are there... SOMEWHERE
(Several holes are shared, hence two arrows pointing to the same hole)

Name:  20022ndrowcaptainsMedium.jpg
Views: 18618
Size:  79.0 KB Name:  20002ndrowsplitbenchMedium.jpg
Views: 19374
Size:  78.1 KB

***Possibly a Mod. can add my post to the one in the TECH folder and host the pics here on FTE so the links dont get accidentally broken - (if the info is deemed worthy)?
-------------------------------
MODERATORS EDIT:

See companion thread here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11366702

Old 08-27-2009, 04:49 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures tell it all - thanks for taking the time to do that and post them! I think it's worth adding to the tech article. Good job!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:58 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Great job and nice to know, reps sent

Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Whoa, sweet pictures and graphics bro!

Reps sent!

Stewart

Old 08-28-2009, 07:54 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This HAS been asked many,many times !!! Kudo's and Atta Boy's to you !!!

The only remaining question goes back to personal preference of which is "better"...

And only you know that for YOU

Have had both and while the 2nd row buckets are 'cool', IMHO the bench is better than the short squat stock 2nd rows....

NOW, if they put the 1st row REAL buckets in the 2nd row..... THAT might be the ticket! you might be able to talk me into that Question, is there clearance and room for them in the 2nd row?

but for now the fold down center arm rest makes the 2nd row bench much more comfortable than the stock 2nd rows....

Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

more info

Just a quick shot of the unused seat mount inserts. As it turns out, they are not threaded, so to use them you will have to tap them first. Not a big deal, but thought I would add it.

Name:  DSCN1095.jpg
Views: 14760
Size:  62.5 KB

Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Another quick update... Getting ready to add mounting locations to the driver's side 2nd row bucket. Pics show where the new holes will be and the ribs that need to be flattened. Turns out the mounting feet on the seat stand off the floor a bit so I think I will only have to flatten the front rib where the hole directly interferes. All the rest seems to clear.

Name:  DSCN1131.jpg
Views: 15589
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1132.jpg
Views: 14938
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  DSCN1134.jpg
Views: 14686
Size:  54.6 KB

Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Quick question. Does anyone know if a 2000 - 2001 60/40 split bench seat will fit in the existing holes of a 2002 - 2005 excursion without modification. It is pretty clear some changes were made so that the bucket seat option would be available in the 02-05. I'm wondering about the mounting brackets on the seats.

Thanks for the detailed pictures. They are very clear.

Happy Holidays to all!!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:20 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Yes, the newer models have all the holes for either the bucket or bench configuration. The 2000/2001 bench should bolt right in.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Thank you very much. You did a great writeup on this. I definitely appreciate your taking the time to make this information available. Hope your conversion went smoothly and came out good.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Neil,

With regard to tapping the unused holes. I've never done this before. Would a simple kit from say Sears or Home Depot do the job or do I need a professional grade kit to tap the unused holes. I'm assuming it is pretty strong steel. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One clarification please sir:
When you say "Captain's Chairs" are you referring to the front seat type captain chairs or the shorter second row bucket seats ?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
One clarification please sir:
When you say "Captain's Chairs" are you referring to the front seat type captain chairs or the shorter second row bucket seats ?
The thread regards swapping the shorter second row bucket seats with 2nd row bench seat or vice versa.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
After using this information provided by RMBC Freeride, I completed a swap of a 2003 bench seat into a 2005 originally equipped with bucket seats in the second row. I found that after removing the trim plate at the step up to the third row seat and the plastic trims at the 2 rear doors, I was able to easily roll the carpet up toward the back of the front row seats (the carpet on top of the step up and under the third row seat is a seperate piece). I trimmed the sound deadening material away from the locations of the bolt holes I needed to use and placed those pieces into the locations where I no longer needed the holes. I used duct tape to hold them in place. I used the piece of carpet cutout for the seat belt assembly to patch the 2 holes for the former bolt locations of the drivers side bucket seat. I used carpet tape there. The holes formerly unused were not tapped, but the bolts were self tapping (both the bolts on my 2005 and 4 donor bolts from the 2003 were self tapping). I lined the bolts straight up with the holes and used a ratchet to crank them down. Very easy. Also, the 2003 bolts had a torx head and the T55 fitting worked fine. The 2005 bolts had standard metrix socket, the size I forgot off hand. I was not able to save any of the pins that hold the shoes over the bolts accross the front of the seat, but Ford was able to provide new ones to me for a wopping $10. 3 of the shoes are the same for both setups and 1 of them is different so make sure you at least swap the one that is different (the 60 side on the right side sitting in the seat is the different one).

Old 01-26-2011, 09:55 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Congrats Country Traveler! Post pics if you got any, please. Sorry I missed you question above about the tap, but looks like you figured it out - same way I did it.
Glad to hear it went smoothly for you and good tip on reusing the carpet piece you cut out to fill the old holes.

Mine has been together for over a year now, works great and I have swapped back and forth between buckets and bench, depending on what I need for trips, etc. Takes me about 45min to swap if I have a friend to help haul out the heavy bench.

Quick Reply: 2nd Row Seat swap info: Bench/Buckets (will it work?)