Sponsored by:

REAR END GEAR RATIO CHANGE...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:44 PM
loleuiha
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REAR END GEAR RATIO CHANGE...

I got a 2000 Ex Limited 6.8 2WD and Im getting the 373's changed out of my rear diff for 410's. Im doing this for more take off power. But my question is who what when or where can I take my Ex in to get the computer reprogrammed to make sure my Speedo and ABS will function normal????
Please help. I live in San Jose California...

Thank you,

Laki

Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Laki,

My opinion would be to not waste your money on going from 3.73's to 4.10's...really don't think you will notice that for the amount of money you will be spending for the swap...even though it is only a 2WD...it is still not a good choice IMO.

The V10 loves 4.30's and I've changed my gears from 3.73's to 4.30's and have towed my 9000# TT all over the country with the 4.30's and I'll tell you...it is a great combo.

As far as reprogramming...you don't need to do ANYTHING...swap your gears and that's it.

The speedo will not be affected in any way...not sure why you mentioned the ABS...but I've had nothing reprogrammed following the gear swap and all was fine...

Good luck,
Joe.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
The V10 loves 4.30's

Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Laki,

My opinion would be to not waste your money on going from 3.73's to 4.10's...really don't think you will notice that for the amount of money you will be spending for the swap...even though it is only a 2WD...it is still not a good choice IMO.

The V10 loves 4.30's and I've changed my gears from 3.73's to 4.30's and have towed my 9000# TT all over the country with the 4.30's and I'll tell you...it is a great combo.

As far as reprogramming...you don't need to do ANYTHING...swap your gears and that's it.

The speedo will not be affected in any way...not sure why you mentioned the ABS...but I've had nothing reprogrammed following the gear swap and all was fine...

Good luck,
Joe.
Where and what determines the speed of the vehicle? (guess the speedo gear in the tailhousing went out with hula hoops).

Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Laki,

Good luck,
Joe.

Thank you Joe I will call the shop up tomorrow and ask them for 430's... lol Only thing is I dont tow. I just have a big Heavy family We all look like football players!!!

Laki

Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EXv10
Where and what determines the speed of the vehicle? (guess the speedo gear in the tailhousing went out with hula hoops).
Not sure but I sense some sarcasim

The speedomater uses the ring gear to pick up it's signal. If you just swap gears nothing is needed to correct the speedometer.

Now if someone were to say swap tires, then a re-cal is necessary to ensure proper speedometer readings.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by loleuiha
Thank you Joe I will call the shop up tomorrow and ask them for 430's... lol Only thing is I dont tow. I just have a big Heavy family We all look like football players!!!

Laki

I understand about towing...I do...and love the 4.30's...

My point is that I'm not sure even not towing if you will actually notice any real difference in just going to 4.10's over 3.73's because it is such a subtle change in RPM's.

The 4.30's will give you about a 300 increase and put you right into the true power band of the V10 without having to downshift...in OD at 65 you will be turning ~2200RPMs with 4.30's. The power band starts about there and is pretty flat from there on up to just over 4200 RPMs

With 4.10's you will likley be just at 2000 RPMs or just on the knee of the beginning of the powerband in OD at 65mph is all.

With 3.73's you should be turning ~1850RPMs or just below the beginning of the powerband.

All RPMs above are with stock sized tires.

Price wise should be exactly the same I would think between 4.10's and 4.30's too.

Good luck with your decision...my point is that the V10 and 4.30's are a match made in heaven IMO and experience.

Joe.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Not sure but I sense some sarcasim

The speedomater uses the ring gear to pick up it's signal. If you just swap gears nothing is needed to correct the speedometer.

Now if someone were to say swap tires, then a re-cal is necessary to ensure proper speedometer readings.

Hope that helps.

Joe
No sarcasim, they used to use a speedo gear in the tail housing which did affect your speedo reading but that ring on the ring gear is something relatively new. Why do you say sarcasm?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
loleuiha
Senior User
I understand about towing...I do...and love the 4.30's...

My point is that I'm not sure even not towing if you will actually notice any real difference in just going to 4.10's over 3.73's because it is such a subtle change in RPM's.

The 4.30's will give you about a 300 increase and put you right into the true power band of the V10 without having to downshift...in OD at 65 you will be turning ~2200RPMs with 4.30's. The power band starts about there and is pretty flat from there on up to just over 4200 RPMs

With 4.10's you will likley be just at 2000 RPMs or just on the knee of the beginning of the powerband in OD at 65mph is all.

With 3.73's you should be turning ~1850RPMs or just below the beginning of the powerband.

All RPMs above are with stock sized tires.

Price wise should be exactly the same I would think between 4.10's and 4.30's too.

Good luck with your decision...my point is that the V10 and 4.30's are a match made in heaven IMO and experience.

Joe.
Joe,

Thank you Joe I will keep you posted as to what Ive decided and got. Youre very helpful... sending rep points your way...

Laki

Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM
loleuiha
Senior User
Joe,

Thank you Joe I will keep you posted as to what Ive decided and got. Youre very helpful... sending rep points your way...

Laki
Opps It wont let me give you rep points till I give some to someone else... LOL

Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I Vote for the 430's to move the football players.

I will be doing this mod sometime next month. I have chosen the 430's, I only tow once or twice a year never over 5k lbs.

Just looking for a little more get up and go to help out my 285's.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I just have a big Heavy family We all look like football players!!!

Laki
My alma mater doing the Haka before a game against Monterey a couple years ago.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WYecf2GlXgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Laki, listen to Joe, he won't steer ya wrong.

Stewart

Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EXv10
No sarcasim, they used to use a speedo gear in the tail housing which did affect your speedo reading but that ring on the ring gear is something relatively new. Why do you say sarcasm?
Just the hula hoop finish...no worries on my end...it was just how it read to me is all...

Yeah...the ring gear pick up is why no reprogram is needed for a gear change...

Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Just the hula hoop finish...no worries on my end...it was just how it read to me is all...

Yeah...the ring gear pick up is why no reprogram is needed for a gear change...
Hula hoops went out of style many years ago along with the little gear that went into the tailhousings of trannies and rode against a spiral ring gear on the output shaft.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
My alma mater doing the Haka before a game against Monterey a couple years ago.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WYecf2GlXgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Laki, listen to Joe, he won't steer ya wrong.

Stewart
Hey I grew up in Seaside.... What a small world. But my family all moved here to San Jose in 2000.... Miss Seaside though. All my fathers family is there still.. I havent been back there since my cousins funeral in 05.... Ill go there soon to see family....

Laki

Quick Reply: REAR END GEAR RATIO CHANGE...