pitman arm nut keeps coming loose....help! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

pitman arm nut keeps coming loose....help!

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

pitman arm nut keeps coming loose....help!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:41 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by jlmotox View Post
Anyone know what size nut it is? I would like to Find one online, I've looked but no luck yet...
I saw it in here one time. Maybe if you do a search...It sounds like the arm is not tight on the spline so it is working on the nut. Maybe a worn spline. Also, the nut might be bottoming out due to the shaft being pulled too far out which could be corrected by a spacer/washer. The spline can wear from a loose nut so it is just a vicious cycle. A washer would also keep the arm from working directly on the nut. Make it safe.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 AM
57fomoco
Senior User
57fomoco is starting off with a positive reputation.
For your safety and others on the road make sure you use the proper grade of nut and lock washer. use the wrong one and you can end up killing some one or yourself. I would get the nut from the dealer and make sure you torque it to specs. Steering and suspensions are not the place for novice experimenting. I get nervous every time I see a raised truck going down the road wondering if it was safely put together.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 AM
rudedogii
Elder User
rudedogii is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think its a large metric size that nobody carries? Hard to find large sockets at an auto parts store or Sears. Been there done that!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 PM
leeber14
New User
leeber14 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jlmotox View Post
I put on a pro comp 6" lift a few months ago and every week or two I have to crawl under the truck and tighten up that damm pit man arm nut...I can tell when it starts to get loose because the steering wheel gets sloppy...I have put red loctite and have gotten that nut as tight as I can get it with about a 3ft tube on the end of my wrench for extra leverage and still comes loose! anyone else have this problem? any solutions? I'm just about to grab my welder and fix it that way but there must be a better way!

thanks!
The nut for the steering box on pitman arm is a one time use. I had the same problem and had to replace the nut.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
Ford Pitman nut....hope you are sitting down...

HN2 - Left Hand Drive 4WD (Part Time Drive) Ford 250 Series Ford 350 Series ; M30 x 1.5MM

list price is $45.56

Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Madulin76
New User
Madulin76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jeep.hauler View Post
Had the same problem with a jeep that has a 5" lift. The drop pitman arm nut would come loose, I noticed that the replacement arm would set higher on the splines then the stock one. The nut would thread on but would reach the end of the threaded shaft before hitting the pitman arm. Added a second lock washer to act as a spacer. The nut has not come loose in over three years of off road abuse. Hope this helps.
That's what I'm going to do i have the same problem with my 93 chevy C1500. That advice though

Old 02-12-2018, 07:57 PM
F350 1990
Elder User
F350 1990 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Observations:

(1) Not sure if Pro Comp says OIL the sector shaft or not, but OIL (the presence or lack thereof) WILL affect torque readings !

(2) Need a good torque wrench (0-600 Ft/lbs) --- I use Precision Instruments (who make Snap On) and they work well

(3) The Loctite Red ThreadLocker compound starts going active in 5-10 minutes -- need to get the 350lbs "dialed in" quickly.

I do know the Loctite doesn't always work on hefty bolt/nut combinations (1.25" and above) -- seen this problem on some of my bigger equipment.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 PM
projectnitemare
Elder User
projectnitemare is starting off with a positive reputation.
The nut is meant to be one time use. I've gotten by without replacing it on more than one occasion. You aren't getting enough torque. Put a Craftsman 1/2 inch drive rachet on there and a 6 foot pipe and pull until the rachet explodes then you'll be close. That statement is a joke, but depending on the sector shaft size 350-400ft lbs is in the ballpark. Lube the splines, torque the nut. Remove the nut, add thread locker and retorque the nut. Do not drill the shaft, they are weak enough already.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:59 AM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Lawnpro979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
Ford Pitman nut....hope you are sitting down...

HN2 - Left Hand Drive 4WD (Part Time Drive) Ford 250 Series Ford 350 Series ; M30 x 1.5MM

list price is $45.56

HoLY CRAP MAN!!!!!

next time warn a guy. I fell out of my chair!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:34 AM
HiTechRedneck1
New User
HiTechRedneck1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had the same issue here - and yes, it is spec'd as a 1 time use nut. I got a new one from Ford parts for about $20. Put that on with Red Locktight and then added the old one - also with Red as an extra measure of safety. Very carefully grease the face of the nut so the two do not bind when tightening and make sure you only catch the correct nut when you tighten it until your ratchet explodes!! (LOL) Problem solved!!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:05 PM
4XBuilder
New User
4XBuilder is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dude! Not safe! Buy a new nut.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 PM
JNG6
Senior User
JNG6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just a thought but are you sure you have the correct pitman arm? I'm not super familiar with your model of truck but getting a pitman arm with the correct spline number/pattern is important for a proper fit. I've changed a few pitman arms and they have always been basically pressed onto the output shaft of the steering box.

Assuming that isn't the issue a locking washer sounds like a good choice. Locktite also make a black option. As far as I know it's one of the strongest versions. To get it to release you have to heat up the nut though.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would go with a new nut, and when I put it on I would go with a thread locker. I prefer the Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 PM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
Red 271 Loctite. Apply to threads, tighten to 350 ft/lb, let it cure for a few hours. It will not come off after that, unless heated to over 500 degrees F.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pitman arm nut keeps coming loose....help!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.