1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

help me get my 1970 f-100 360 started!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM
forevergreentree
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help me get my 1970 f-100 360 started!!

I have a 1970 f-100 that just stays on the farm. I drive it 200 miles each year! the other day when I turned the key on ....nothing...no sound...nothing.

Battery is new, good cables, changed the solenoid, changed the starter and still nothing.

I put voltage tester to hot side terminal of solenoid and it lights up but if i go to the other terminal (the one that leads to starter) it will not light.

What's next? Voltage regulator? Cable to starter? coil?

Help!!!!!

your fellow farmer in Idaho

Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you probably should just sell it to me... too bad it don't run, aint worth much....

have you messed around with harness conections at all?

like behind the ignition switch? have you tried the ole toothless jake remote starter method under the hood? (jumper the solenoid posts with a screwdriver)?

I don't recomend it by the way... would never pull such a stunt myself... much....

Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
first, have you tried jumping the solenoid, if so and nothing, take a jumper cable, grab the (+) of the starter, to the starter side of the solenoid, then try with the key, if nothing, then its either a bad solenoid, or a bad connection from the Key to the solenoid, try jumping the starter directly to the Battery (+), if it cranks now. then its the norrrowed down to Key side harness or key sw.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:28 PM
forevergreentree
New User
Originally Posted by Madathlon
first, have you tried jumping the solenoid, if so and nothing, take a jumper cable, grab the (+) of the starter, to the starter side of the solenoid, then try with the key, if nothing, then its either a bad solenoid, or a bad connection from the Key to the solenoid, try jumping the starter directly to the Battery (+), if it cranks now. then its the norrrowed down to Key side harness or key sw.
Thanks for info.......should both terminals on the solenoid light up with tester as being hot? Only the terminal on the battery cable side lights up. Is voltage regulator a factor? Coil a factor?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by forevergreentree
Thanks for info.......should both terminals on the solenoid light up with tester as being hot? Only the terminal on the battery cable side lights up. Is voltage regulator a factor? Coil a factor?
If the engine does not crank over than the coil and reg are not in use. Jump the solenoid as the others have said and this will give ya an idea where to go from there.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
You should also check the fusible links in the ignition and solenoid wires
that are attached to the small posts on the solenoid.

If they are damaged they could also cause the problem you are describing.

Dan. (Not Ed.)

lol

Old 08-27-2009, 03:23 PM
forevergreentree
New User
where are the fusible links? How do I R&R them?

Old 08-27-2009, 04:57 PM
70_RangerXLT
Senior User
Do your lights, wipers, etc. work?

The fusible link supplies power to those necessities and other accessories. It's basically a "master fuse" for the electrical system.

You should have a large wire coming off the battery side of the solenoid (no, not the cable..LOL). It should be about 12 ga (give or take). The fusible link is a part of that wire. If you develop a short that the fuses do not protect against, the fusible link will melt. It's nothing but a special section of softer wire that is a part of the large wire I referenced. It's located near the end of this wire. If it's burned, the insulation may or may not be burned off, but you can tell by feeling the outside of the insulation that there is no wire in there.

To replace a fusible link, either solder in a new piece of fusible link wire, or you can install a circuit breaker or master fuse near the solenoid and eliminate the fusible link.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
forevergreentree
New User
Thanks again for the great tips......the horn, wipers, and lights work fine. I just connected the battery lug (on the solenoid) to the small "S" terminal on the solenoid and the starter did work! I just replaced the starter and solenoid, they all work. I also cleaned battery cables and ground and terminal on starter. So.......now I'm thinking the ignition switch. When I turn the key to accessory....the wipers work but when I turn to start....nothing. However, before the start position when the key is "on"...I can hear a faint tick noise but cant tell where it is because I'm in the cab.

My next thought is to bypass the ignition switch and buy a "push button" starter switch and wire to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. Will this work? I dont need a key switch as this rig just sits on the farm........am I on the right path?????? What type of switch should I get that is easy to install????

Thanks guys...you are really helping!!!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 PM
70_RangerXLT
Senior User
The easiest repair, assuming it's the ignition switch, is to just replace the current switch.

You can use a push-button switch, but you'll have to go to the extra trouble of mounting it and wiring it.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 PM
forevergreentree
New User
I think you are right.......will I have to get new keys???? Or can they "key" the switch to my existing keys??

If it isn't the ignition switch ....what else could it be????

Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
70_RangerXLT
Senior User
Before you replace the switch, it would be best to test your old one to verify that the switch is the problem. Have someone turn the key while you use your voltage tester to check for power at the small terminal on the solenoid. It should have voltage when the switch is turned to start, and none when the key is in the "run" position.

To replace the switch:

1) Turn the ignition switch to the "Acc" position.

2) Insert a straightened paper clip in the small hole on the face of the switch and push it in to depress the plunger that is located inside.

3) While holding the paper clip in, turn the switch further to the left and the lock cylinder can easily be pulled out.

4) Then, remove the large round nut that holds the switch in place.

5) Pull the switch from the dash and disconnect the wiring plug.

6) To install the new one, connect the plug, install the switch, insert the lock cylinder and turn it to the right. It will lock itself back in place.

If it's not the switch, you most likely have a wiring problem. Got any mice on your farm???

Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by forevergreentree
I think you are right.......will I have to get new keys???? Or can they "key" the switch to my existing keys??

If it isn't the ignition switch ....what else could it be????
Easy way to replace the switch. Disconnect ground battery cable. Turn the key to acc position. There will be a small hole by your key. Bend straight a big paper clip and put in that hole while turning the key past the acc position. Your key lock should come out. Turn the bezel counter clock wise until it comes off an then push your switch towards the firewall and it should drop down. Undo the clips and install the new one in reverse order. It has been a while since I did this so it should be correct. New switch I think is less than $20. Best guess is that it is the switch.
Another thing, there should be a ground wire from the solenoid to the ground cable. If not, make one so you have adequate ground.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:41 PM
70_RangerXLT
Senior User
Dan, I think you came in a little late with your response, but thanks for reiterating what I posted.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
forevergreentree
New User
thanks guys for all of your help......where should i put the ground wire on the solenoid?

yes i have mice, voles, moles, gophers, ground suirrels.........i am constantly feeding them with sticmine.....

Quick Reply: help me get my 1970 f-100 360 started!!