Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix Door Closure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Treacy
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fix Door Closure Problem

To watch my video on fixing the door closure problem, scroll to the bottom of my thread

A common problem with ninth generation Fords is sagging doors that won't close propperly. This can be cause by a few problems. As my luck would have it, I had and still have all three issues.

First issue: Bad door pins. The door pins on these trucks are not very complicated and I luck to think they were designed to be replaced easily if they wore out. Typically, the two brass bushings, that center the door hinge pin, wear out causing the angle of the door to change. This makes the door sag and not close propperly. Replacing these pins ans bushings is the fix for this.

Second issue: Bad hinges. I have in fact a bad/impropperly installed hinge. Hinges must be propperly aligned and adjusted if the door has any chance of closing. Replacing the hinge or realigning the existing hinge fixes this issue. Tip: When realigning the door, line it up to the B pillar and rocker sill.

Third issue: Bad door strike pin bushing. This is the number one most overlooked issue of a door closure problem and the main subject of this repair thread. On the strike pin is a plastic bushing. Typically, this bushing wears out with use and age. Once gone or severely damaged, the doors typically won't close without slamming them very hard. The bushing is need to guide the strike pin perfectly into the latch mechanism. Without the bushing, the strike pin "floats" around and isn't caught. This results in a door that won't close and seal.

Lucky for us replacing the door strike pin and bushing is so easy, its unreal. Yet everyone passed it by in favor of other popular solutions.

For the repair you will only need a breaker bar, wratchet, and correct size torx bit. If the strike pin is still in the factory location, mark around it with a wax pencil or marker. This way it will be very easy to line up the new strike pin. Simply use the breaker bar to loosen the strike pin and then use the wratchet to do the rest of the loosening. New strike pin + bushing is sold at every auto parts store in the "Help section." The help section looks like a section filled with miscellaneous parts.

Screw in the new stike pin and be careful to line it up with the alignment markings from the previous strike pin.

Finally, use the breaker bar or torgue wrench to set the pin propperly so it won't move in the future.

Here is a link to my video showing you how to perform the strike pin replacement