Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F150 Running Rich and bad!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant wait to hear what finally fixes this, im having the same exact issues/symptoms with my 94.

Good luck Kart 18

Old 01-28-2010, 10:42 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Any more news?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
nextalcupfan
Mountain Pass
ya im waitin on pins and needles here

Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 AM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Originally Posted by chas87f150
My 87 F150/302 is having the same syptoms - except the engine light does not come on. However, I have found that when running cold, first thing in the morning when cool, it seems fine. Only when driven for a while do the syptoms show. Have you seen the same? Maybe another piece of the puzzle.
Hi there CHAS87f150,
I have the same problem like your having, I just read your post & was wondering if you ever found what your problem was?

Thanking you in advance for any input.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
chas87f150
Freshman User
Yo-Blue Heap: Sorry for the delay in responding. Haven't been following this thread for a while. My problem was solved by bypassing my Dual Fuel Reservoir (DFR). It is the large black canister to the rear of the high pressure fuel pump on the rail under the driver side. I hooked up my own hoses/tubes and ran one of my fuel tanks directly to the high pressure fuel pump and it has purred like a kitten since. You can find my notes on this elsewhere in this thread sometime back last fall. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 PM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Originally Posted by chas87f150
Yo-Blue Heap: Sorry for the delay in responding. Haven't been following this thread for a while. My problem was solved by bypassing my Dual Fuel Reservoir (DFR). It is the large black canister to the rear of the high pressure fuel pump on the rail under the driver side. I hooked up my own hoses/tubes and ran one of my fuel tanks directly to the high pressure fuel pump and it has purred like a kitten since. You can find my notes on this elsewhere in this thread sometime back last fall. Good luck.
Thanks chas87f150,
Good for you, the only problem for me is that I don't have dual tanks, but is the DFR the reservoir that has the fuel filter in it?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:31 PM
chas87f150
Freshman User
Hi Blue Heap:
In the case of only a single fuel tank the reservoir I referred to as the "DFR" is called the "SFR" for Single Function Reservoir. It still provides the same essential functions as a DFR such as evening out the fuel flow if the low pressure pump in the tank drops its pressure and also to return unused gas back to the tank from the EFI system. In the case of only a single tank the SFR does not provide any "check valve" protection because it would not be needed. It does not provide a filter function and has no real filter in it. The unit is not serviceable according to Ford although I have known a few guys that have rebuilt theirs. However, 90% of the time, any attempt to service/rebuild an SFR/DFR results in failure.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 PM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Thanks chash87f150,
Appriciate the reply I'm going to ck my stator & distributor this weekend I'm suspecting that the stator or its wires are causing my surging/hessitation problem & will post the results

Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
chas87f150
Freshman User
Blue Heap:
If you are referring to a even/consistent lope in your engine rpm at idle I would suspect a vacuum leak or an uneven flow of fuel - but you never know with these symptoms. Make sure your valve covers and manifold bolts are snug and grab a 3/8 - 1/2 inch rubber hose and listen for air leaks at idle as well as inspecting all your hoses. Look for the simple things first. Good luck bud.
Chas

Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Gary Blair
Freshman User
I had a similar problem with my 89 F-350. It would shut off or be down on power. Turned out to be an intermitent fuel pump relay.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
chas87f150
Freshman User
Yo Blue Heap:
Whats the status? Keep us posted if you can. Thanks and good luck.
Chas

Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 AM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
[quote=chas87f150;8643437]Yo Blue Heap:
Whats the status? Keep us posted if you can. Thanks and good luck.
Chas[/quot

Hey Chas,
Thanks for checking back with me, my status is SOS same old s__t!!! Sorry to say I had my mechanic friend change my distributor cause I figured with 117,000 miles it probably has some play in it... It comes with the stator so I had him replace it, but you would not believe what happened...He pulled the dam thing out & did not cover the hole with a towel (neither did I, BIG MISTAKE) & I am so siked to find this fricking problem of mine that I figured why not check the connector of the temp. sensor since I now have access to it so I took a small screw driver & used it to remove the connector & guess what happend????? The screw driver fell right in the hole I tried to get it out but could not, it finally fell in deeper in the hole, I thought it was stock inside the timing chain housing but my mechanic friend said it fell into the oil pan so at that point he was able to manually turn the engine in order to feel if it's stuck on the chain or the gears luckily it was free so he STARTED THE ENGINE & everything seemes fine THANK GOD so what I'm planing to do is to have him drop the oil pan to look for the damm scraw driver this coming Sunday man what a bitch of a sunday I thought he'll have to drop the timing chain cover but he seems to be right I HOPE, so I will not drive it until he'll drop the oil pan, as far as my surging problem is concerned it's still there & I give up, so I will be taking it to another mechanic to see what he can come up with I'm giving up on this problem WHAT A STORY AH??? I'll lat you know if I found the screw driver...
Thanks allot
Leor

Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 PM
chas87f150
Freshman User
Blue Heap - WOW - thank god you are able to get to the driver to retrieve it. However, I just don't see the distrib/stator causing your symptoms - I tend to side with Gary Blair on his posting above about the fuel problem and also vacuum leaks can and are a very common cause of these types of symptoms. But you never know. This type of problem can be exhausting to pin down. Hang in there, check for the simple stuff first before you start dumping time and money on replacing parts. Thanks for the update and keep us in the loop.
Chas

Old 03-20-2010, 09:07 AM
frogman1195
New User
Truck running rich

Ok guys,
and ladies

Newbie to the site. Be gentle. I didn't read all the posts. Just too many of them for times sake.

Ok I don't remember who told me this but, My 88 Ford F-150 4.9L 78K was also running rich. bad

Someone clued me into the fact that too much air flow would cause this. They were right on the mark. I had also gone all over the thing replacing sensors an the like. What I found was on the throttle body one of the gaskets that mate it to the intake was pulled through into the intake.

Replaced it and wa-la.

FWI, my truck ran so rich when I prked the truck the cat was glowing red and crackling, it also leaned my oil out and I had to rebuild the engine it. (Lower end, Cons and main bearings)

I now need a Fuel Tank Selector valve. I can not find one anywhere on the internet. Please help if you can.

Thanks

David

Old 03-20-2010, 11:33 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if Kart18 finally threw the towel in on his truck.

Quick Reply: 1988 F150 Running Rich and bad!