Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F150 Running Rich and bad!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricache
............and a way for Kart18 to get a ton of post credits
/Ricache
hahahahahaha

Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 PM
chas87f150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys:
Sorry for being a sorta lame, but I have a few questions
For Racache: What the h*ll is that image? Is it cattle? Or a wrecking yard. We raise Angus beef cattle with a few Hereferdshire "Red" bulls and I think I see cattle there, but then again I think I'm seeing old cars - just curious. Forgive my ignorance.
For Quicklook2: When I was telling Kart18 to stick with the smart guys for answers, I think I called you "Outlook", sorry, meant no slight. My question for you is..."what the h*ll is a posting credit?" Or was this just an inside joke. I am not very sophisticated about this forum stuff.
For danr1: You wrote "One suggestion, would simply removing the fuel return line at the fuel rail be easier, adding a short section of rubber hose from the rail to a bucket rather then messing with all six lines down under the truck, then see if the motor runs better a minute." Yeah, you are probably correct, it would be easier, but I want to completely avoid any flow through the DFR for one, and secondly, I want Kart18 to be able to jump in and actually drive the vehicle for a while to confirm the results of bypassing the DFR. I have done it the way you suggest, but the results were not conclusive.
To Kart18: I been knee deep in cow***** and driving my ATV 3 miles back down out of the hills to check this forum and haven't heard from you for 31hours and 40 minutes. Tell the little lady you gotta work on the truck and getter done bro. If I am misleading you I want to get out of your hair as soon as possible so the smart guys can carry on. :-)

Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
the upper right post count.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Ricache
Senior User
chas87150 - it's a tractor graveyard just northwest of Paris Texas. Guess there's over 100 different pieces of major farmyard equipment in there.

I've had to travel there on business a couple of times. Knew there would be photo ops so took my camera.

On the same road there is an old 60's era 2 engine 50 seat passenger plane just sitting in the parking lot by an old convenience store. It's big and it's an eye catcher.

Never know what's you'll see when you visit these older rural areas.

/Ricache

Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
it would be a better pic if it was bigger.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 AM
kc0rey
Senior User
I belong to many forums. Many forum users think that the amount of posts they have make them important. You'll see them post things in arguments like, "I have 12 million posts here!" to some poor schmuck who only has 11 million. How dare he question me? LOL

Then you have the guys like me who have been here a million years but only have 12 posts. Many of them think they are important too.

You'll see the post ***** who will post a partial sentence in one post and then finish the rest of the book in successive posts. We have seen that sort of behavior in this thread already.

Personally, I don't play this game unless I see some idiot who comes in with his first post and starts trouble. You see that allot as well....We call those folks TROLLS!

NEVER, EVER, FEED THE TROLLS.

OH and I forgot......all forums have that crabby old fart who can't sleep, can't poop and is just downright unpleasant.....That would be me....

Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
barr75
Junior User
I've been a Ford mechanic at dealerships for 14 years. Call local dealerships and see if any of them have a SBDS and somone who knows how to run it. That machine hooks up at the pcm and the tech can look at every sensor at the same time and see what is going on. We need to know what the sensors are reading to find the problem. I believe it is a o2 sensor issue. good chance its in the wiring from the computer to the o2. Hard to say without having the truck in front of me.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Ricache
Senior User
quicklook2 or anyone else - just posted 3 pics from my trip ('07) that have the tractor graveyard.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4206

Took them while driving so didn't get time to take to many.

/Ricache

Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Kart18
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW - so now we got tractor talk? This has been an interesting journey in this post to try to fix my truck.

Crabby old fart - sounds like quicklook2 to me! lol. I thought he disowned me and my post like 2 or 3 weeks ago and then he just shows up again with little post that have nothing to do with helping to find the problem.

chas87f150 - I have been checking the post. I just have a hundred things going on and I work on the truck as I can. I will try your sugestion as soon as I can. However I don't think that it will show us anything - the fuel pressure is good and if the DFR was acting up I would think that it would restrict the flow and run lean. I know for a fact that it is running rich all the time. I am however willing to try almost anything at this point. I will let you know the results as soon as I try it.

**Something is not adjusting the fuel input. Is there a way to check the wiring from the 02 to the computer? Is there a way to check the 02 sensor itself to see if it is ok and working right?

Thanks, Todd

Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM
chas87f150
Freshman User
Yo Kart18 - thanks for checking in. I know about having too much to do. I understand your logic on the DFR but I want you to set that aside for an hour and give it a try anyway. Just follow my steps above, and completely bypass the DFR. If it fails to change your symptoms then at least you haven't spent much money or time on it. I wouldn't keep bugging you about it if I didn't think it was worth your time. Thanks bud.
Chas

Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 AM
barr75
Junior User
If I remember rite, the o2 wires are run with the battery cables toward the starter. There should be a wire conector just to the rear of the battery that looks just like the o2 conector. Have seen some wire damage in the area around the battery due to batterys leaking a little acid and eating the wiring or conectors. I looked at my 92 f150 thats how it is routed, think yours is the same. Make sure you dont see any wires damaged by rodents in the area of the battery all the way to the starter also.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Kart18
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's interesting. My battery is about 3 years old. I have the felt washers under the cable conectors to prevent acid from building up on the post. They have stayed clean since I installed the battery. I knowticed in the last couple weeks that the negitive side is wet and it looks like metal shavings from the negitive post laying there in the wet stuff. This post also has two small wires connected to the terminal conector along with the negitive cable. I wonder what these two wires are and why all of the sudden is the negitive post all wet and has the shavings there??????

What are the two small wires?

What would cause this post to be wet and have the metal shavings there?

Todd

Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
i want to see just how foolish you can be.

you are living up to my (low) expectations.

i fixed 5 vehicles since this running rich thread started.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:50 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ricache
quicklook2 or anyone else - just posted 3 pics from my trip ('07) that have the tractor graveyard.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4206

Took them while driving so didn't get time to take to many.

/Ricache
thanks for posting the link.

those are very cool.

my favorite thing from texas was hot tubs in the shape of texas with the cities raised up as seats.

i wanted to get one so bad.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:55 PM
barr75
Junior User
Id say the battery is starting to leak around the post. where do the small wires go. do they both go to the fender or does one go to a single plug? havent worked on one of these in a long time. just trying to remember.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 F150 Running Rich and bad!