2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roushcharger Couple Questions

Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 PM
428fourby
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roushcharger Couple Questions

Well after lots of reading and swinging a deal with the wife, I think I'm almost ready to order a non intercooled Roushcharger but just have a few more questions that hopfully some Roushcharger experst will answer!

I live in Canada and its common to see -35c in the winter, will the s/c like that?

Will pulling a 6500lb camper be a problem? (Approx 2000k per year)

Is the CAI that it comes with really noisy in the cab? I had an AEM on my truck for a while and it was really bad in the cab when pulling the camper.

How will fuel milage be affected? I know it will go down as it will be hard not to mash it all the time, but I'm talking just cruising on the highway.

Oh ya, will it have that cool super charger whine!

Thanks Guys

Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 PM
D ROUSH
Junior User
I cant tell you for sure about the f150 with the roushcharger but I can tell you that a CAI isnt noisy in the Roush mustang from inside the car ( and mine is a convertible not s/c though). And the supercharger does put out a lovely whine but not as loud as say a procharger. I would suspect the colder the temp the happier a motor but that is darn cold. The SC mustangs I know in areas not even close to that temp are garaged in the winter. Never heard of a problem but that doesnt mean much. I am pretty certain pulling a trailer will be a pleasure. Mileage will be down mostly from mashing and I think you may need to run higher octane(could be wrong). Roush has a good following in my part of the world. Might check stage3motorsports.com for prices. These are just my opinions as I am in no way highly educated in superchargers as my stage 2 is missing that mod. D

Old 08-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 428fourby
Well after lots of reading and swinging a deal with the wife, I think I'm almost ready to order a non intercooled Roushcharger but just have a few more questions that hopfully some Roushcharger experst will answer!

I live in Canada and its common to see -35c in the winter, will the s/c like that?
oh yeah...the blower will love the winter...you'll see 10-20 more HP at winter than most people ever will. the cold air will be super dense.

but it will cause tuning issues. The stock Roush tunes will be okay, but I personally would get custom tunes for the winter time driving...or just take her easy then.

You really need to talk to Mike Troyer about this issue. Roush had him do the PCM Fuel Maps for the RoushCharger. The early versions back in 2004/2005 blew up a few motors for the Canada/Alaska guys until he re-did the maps.

http://www.troyerperformance.com

last I heard, he still had his 2006 F-150 with that exact blower installed. Mike Troyer is THE EXPERT in tuning for the 04-08 F-150.

Will pulling a 6500lb camper be a problem? (Approx 2000k per year)
nope. just need some gauges to make sure the motor is happy during the towing.

suggest a Wideband Air/Fuel Meter, Boost Gauge, Trans Temp

Is the CAI that it comes with really noisy in the cab? I had an AEM on my truck for a while and it was really bad in the cab when pulling the camper.
The open air element CAI is a bit noisy when you get on it...but not overly so. Sorry, I never got any true load put on mine. it wasn't annoying, just some rumble.

How will fuel milage be affected? I know it will go down as it will be hard not to mash it all the time, but I'm talking just cruising on the highway.
MPG's will actually go up...believe it or not.

I saw a 0.5 MPG gain with mine. 100% city driving and I drove her really freaking hard. Lots and lots of full throttle and burnouts

Superchargers are inherently more efficient than N/A...just gotta keep your foot out of it.

Oh ya, will it have that cool super charger whine!
yes and no.

driving around town and on the highway you will never know it's installed.

stomp your foot and hold onto your pants. The boost bypass will shut and it's like a jet is under the hood.
the whine is all good. I miss it
Thanks Guys
bold stuff above.

I had the Non-Intercooled RoushCharger on my 2006 Screw FX4.
Best $2,300 I have ever spent. period. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm actually trying to figure out how to adapt it to my 2008 Expy right now...but can't get past a few stumbling blocks.

word of caution for you
don't ever forget it is installed.

I made that mistake once. After sliding sideways across the highway entrance ramp I learned a valuable lesson. fun, but scary.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 PM
428fourby
Senior User
Thanks guys, I'll get in contact with Mike to make sure on the winter thing, and then order onr up!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

btw, make sure you buy it from Roush on eBay. They are posting it from $2,100 to $2,400 depending on their mood.

Best price anywhere.

Have fun with the kit. It's lots of fun

Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
428fourby
Senior User
What do you search on ebay, I couldn't find any from roush?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 PM
D ROUSH
Junior User
Search ebay at least twice a week for a while I bet you find one. They are out there just be patient and you will find a decent deal, D

Old 08-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

eBay - Roush Overstock Store

N/I RoushCharger + Goodies - Bit of a rip-off though. They're adding $175 for 3 badges and a grill. I've seen that grille sell for $99 shipped.

Basic N/I RoushCharger

e-mail/call Roush and offer them $2,100 + shipping for the kit. They'll take it. I've seen many many of these blowers go for that price

Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
mattsautobody442
Tuned
does eaton still make a s/c for the 4'6/5.44?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 PM
428fourby
Senior User
I talked with Mike Troyer today and even though he didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, we had a great chat about the 5.4's! So my blower idea is on hold until I have enough cash for the intercooled unit. He said that with the non intercooled blower your towing capacity is actually cut in half as the egt temps will get too high for the exh valves and seats. With the load I need to pull this wouldn't work for me.
I did end up buying some custom tunes from him and got a couple of other ideas for the future.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by 428fourby
I talked with Mike Troyer today and even though he didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, we had a great chat about the 5.4's! So my blower idea is on hold until I have enough cash for the intercooled unit. He said that with the non intercooled blower your towing capacity is actually cut in half as the egt temps will get too high for the exh valves and seats. With the load I need to pull this wouldn't work for me.
I did end up buying some custom tunes from him and got a couple of other ideas for the future.
I know quite a few guys who tow using the N/I blower.

with custom tunes...yeah, you are cutting a knife edge. With the stock Roush tunes...not so much. The Roush tunes are extremely safe. You don't even get fully into the boost until you hit 80% throttle.

Mike Troyer is the man for the 04+ F-150. But how often do you get over 50% throttle when towing?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 AM
bsocko
Junior User
Originally Posted by tylus
But how often do you get over 50% throttle when towing?

You mean you don't need to drive them with the blower making a high pitch wining sound all the time? I thought that is what my manual said.....

Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Gearbanger 101
Senior User
Originally Posted by tylus
I know quite a few guys who tow using the N/I blower.

with custom tunes...yeah, you are cutting a knife edge. With the stock Roush tunes...not so much. The Roush tunes are extremely safe. You don't even get fully into the boost until you hit 80% throttle.

Mike Troyer is the man for the 04+ F-150. But how often do you get over 50% throttle when towing?
Isn't the boost bypass valve vacuum controlled? I wouldn’t think the state of ECU tune wouldn't make a difference when, or at the rate in which it opened and closed? The only thing that should really control that is pulley size? My guess is that that Roush fuel and timing curves are set really conservatively and pull a lot more timing out under load than the Troyer tunes? Great for safety, but its done so at the expense of horsepower and torque.

Also, does the Roush kit include an injector upgrade, or does it incorporate some sort of electronic FMU onto the fuel rail to increase delivery? I would think if it doesn’t, a switch to a properly sized set of injectors and calibration to the fuel mapping through the ECU would net better drivability and potential power and torque across the entire RPM range, no? What size are the stock injectors in our 5.4L’s? I’m guessing what....24lb/hr?

I wish Roush had a better detailed description of the kit in their ad!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
bsocko
Junior User
The non-intercooled version is just bolt on with a custom tune.

The intercooled version comes with new injectors and 0 degree plugs as well.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
428fourby
Senior User
I don't know how often I'll be over 50% load but I know ther will be times and I don't want to take a chance and blow my motor. I'll just have to save up for the intercooled version

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roushcharger Couple Questions