Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM
5.0Torx
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
The Jeep 4.0 is much like the GM Vortec 4200 I6. They can rev much higher then the 300-6, but still have just as much low end torque. Lets take the Vortec 4.2 , it makes 291HP @ 6000 , and 275 lb-ft @ 4800 RPM - yet, thanks to modern computer head design, and variable valve timing, this engine still makes ~260 lb-ft at just 1200 RPM. More horse power, high revving , and yet still has as much low end grunt as the 300-6.

Thank you for your factual post!

there are also stroker kits available for the 4.0. 4.7 is the highest i know of.

9.ford.5, im not going to argue with you again. Try actually going to jeep forums and reading up on them. They RAVE about their low end torque. My buddy has one and it would blow my 300 out of the water. It also pulls 1700 rpm at 60 mph in top gear, returning 20+ mpg easily. With 190k on the motor. Think they would gear it that way if it couldnt do it? No...

Old 09-02-2009, 11:38 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 5.0Torx
Thank you for your factual post!

there are also stroker kits available for the 4.0. 4.7 is the highest i know of.

9.ford.5, im not going to argue with you again. Try actually going to jeep forums and reading up on them. They RAVE about their low end torque. My buddy has one and it would blow my 300 out of the water. It also pulls 1700 rpm at 60 mph in top gear, returning 20+ mpg easily. With 190k on the motor. Think they would gear it that way if it couldnt do it? No...
well if that vortec I6 produces roughly the same numbers as the 300 I6 and the 4.0 is pretty well the same deal how could it be SO much more powerful to blow your 300 out of the water? gear ratio maybe?...you could both save 3.55 diffs...but do you both have the same transmission or t-case with the same ratio?

this is the main reason i want to see ford resurrect the 300...to see what it would do, like stated the jeep 4.0s and the vortecs all have computer cut heads, very precise and very free flowing obviously and therefore they can rev to 6k...and yet in the 15 year old 300 head you can get very noticeable improvements with a dremel, thats not much for precision in my books... id like ford to bring it back just to see the numbers a modern 4.9 would make...but that wont happen because apparently the everyday working man who wants a hard working, simple truck has no influence now...but the soccer moms sure do!

and i dont know who you are arguing with?...I thought this was a tech discussion eh?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 AM
dwrestle
Elder User
Actually 5.0 is the highest I know of that you can stroke the Jeep six and it makes the same kind of power as the Dodge 5.7 Hemi(335HP 385TQ). I had a Cherokee and it was awesome I got 21 MPG consistently 23 if I kept my foot out of it, and it was very quick.

However Cherokees' are very light, and F-150's aren't. I'd say my Cherokee only weighed 3500 lbs. A 2wd F-150 weighs more than that. I think if you put the two engines both in the same vehicle they would be really close in performance, the extra torque of the 300 might get the advantage, and the extra horse power and more useable powerband might give the 4.0 the advantage. Either way the 300 is still a better puller. I think both engines are equaly awesome and are 2 of my favorites.

I think a good competitive race would be a F-150 2wd short bed 5 speed 300 vs 4x4 Grand Cherokee with 4.0. The weight is closer in the Grand Cherokee, that would would be a good race.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
well if that vortec I6 produces roughly the same numbers as the 300 I6 and the 4.0 is pretty well the same deal how could it be SO much more powerful to blow your 300 out of the water? gear ratio maybe?...you could both save 3.55 diffs...but do you both have the same transmission or t-case with the same ratio?

this is the main reason i want to see ford resurrect the 300...to see what it would do, like stated the jeep 4.0s and the vortecs all have computer cut heads, very precise and very free flowing obviously and therefore they can rev to 6k...and yet in the 15 year old 300 head you can get very noticeable improvements with a dremel, thats not much for precision in my books... id like ford to bring it back just to see the numbers a modern 4.9 would make...but that wont happen because apparently the everyday working man who wants a hard working, simple truck has no influence now...but the soccer moms sure do!

and i dont know who you are arguing with?...I thought this was a tech discussion eh?
Thank you for not bashing me.

Welcome to owning and liking a 300. We ALL want to see a modernized 300. It would do very well. Very well...

I agree with all your criticism of which demographic has the most pull. Pisses me off too, man! Its why i own old junk and not a brand new $30k vehicle that can do the job better on paper but not in the real world.

As for clarification, I never wanted to argue with you in the first place. But im not afraid to call you out on non-technical statements like "the 4.0 probably doesnt bla bla bla". Im not saying we all need to talk in 1s and 0s, but a reasonable amount of technical knowledge is necessary, IMO, in order to compare two or three different things, such as engines. I personally have gone through MANY (30+) pages of a jeep 4.0 engine forum, JUST for the hell of it...Let alone honda, ford SB/BB, chevy SB/BB, dodge, subaru engine forums. Knowledge is power...

Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I'm really enjoying this conversation. Please keep the knowledge and info rollin' in!! I agree with Dewrestle too and 9.ford.5 and 5.0 about what you guys are saying.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:25 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 5.0Torx
Thank you for not bashing me.

Welcome to owning and liking a 300. We ALL want to see a modernized 300. It would do very well. Very well...

I agree with all your criticism of which demographic has the most pull. Pisses me off too, man! Its why i own old junk and not a brand new $30k vehicle that can do the job better on paper but not in the real world.

As for clarification, I never wanted to argue with you in the first place. But im not afraid to call you out on non-technical statements like "the 4.0 probably doesnt bla bla bla". Im not saying we all need to talk in 1s and 0s, but a reasonable amount of technical knowledge is necessary, IMO, in order to compare two or three different things, such as engines. I personally have gone through MANY (30+) pages of a jeep 4.0 engine forum, JUST for the hell of it...Let alone honda, ford SB/BB, chevy SB/BB, dodge, subaru engine forums. Knowledge is power...

theres the difference...i cant learn much by reading...or i learn then i forget, i have to directly tear into something to learn it thoroughly and actually remember it next time im called upon this is why i know so much more about ford engines than any other manufacturer, ive worked on almost exclusively ford trucks my whole life haha...i use exaggeration in my posts, that is where you are seeing the "probably this and that"

have they managed to create and aftermarket head that is designed using the new technology that goes into the other modern I6s...i know theres alum. heads for them but do they make any decent performance gains?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:46 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
The 4.0L H.O. comes with 190hp/225tq from the factory. My brother has one in his Cherokee (which weighs in at 3100lbs). My Bronco weighs in at 4000, so it's been fun to race them (especially after the 4bbl install). The 4.0 is very quick and what it lacks in torque (which isn't a lot necessarily), it makes up for in hp and ability to rev higher. I would say though, that after the 4bbl install and exhaust upgrade, my Bronco moves a little better than his Cherokee, but not by much.

Never heard of being able to get the 4.0 up to a 5.0, but 4.7 yes. If you put a crank in from one of the earlier I6s of the same design, it'll give it a 4.5. Then you can bore it to a 4.7. It puts out some impressive numbers. My brother's done a lot of reading up on it and has it in the planning stage for his. And yeah, I've considered putting a 4.0L in the Bronco from time to time, but the thought has since lingered off.

I agree, even if they left the 300 as is, it would be amazing to see what it would do with a computer designed head and a new EFI system. 300 cubic inches is no small number, especially for six cylinders.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
My Bronco weighs in at 4000, so it's been fun to race them (especially after the 4bbl install).

300 cubic inches is no small number, especially for six cylinders.
Hey Justin!

So you did race your brother?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Dunno how relevant this is...but..

Was talking to a few old racing friends of mine..

And there is/or was an NHRA comp eliminator class, where a 300 I6 is used and they spin 7000+rpm, custom home made one off head, custom cam, intakes tho..Ill try to see if i can dig up some info for you guys.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:31 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
yeah this is just another did you know kind of thing...not to be mistaken with a comparison to any gasser I6

i was pullin some wrench on a caterpillar c-15 today (well a few of them) and i happened to glance at the ID tag that read

C.I.D.---15.6L
H.P. @2000---550
TQ @1200---1850

these engines are electronically limited to 2200 rpm meaning no matter how much go pedal you have it will not rev over 2200 rpm...

and i saw the 84 with the v8 cat 3408 the other day and got some pics...sounds almost the same as the I6s and they dont rev high enough to get that v8 sound haha

Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend

and i saw the 84 with the v8 cat 3408 the other day and got some pics...sounds almost the same as the I6s and they dont rev high enough to get that v8 sound haha
Yeah man, the V8's don't sound much different in a lot of cases. Some Tractors I can tell and some I can't. Some have that really distinct I6 sound and there's no doubt with those.

The best sounding ones have an exhaust leak, I've noticed. LOL!

Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Nothing will ever beat the sound of any of the old v6 or v8 detroit diesels. Anyone who's heard one knows what i mean.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 70torino429
Nothing will ever beat the sound of any of the old v6 or v8 detroit diesels. Anyone who's heard one knows what i mean.
Anyone who has heard one regrets it - 'cause now they can't hear at all

Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
sorry guys picture messaging doesnt want to work for some reason im gonna try again and see if i can get the pics off my phone

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Anyone who has heard one regrets it - 'cause now they can't hear at all
HAHAHA very true, they are pretty unforgettable thats for sure

those cummins big cam 400 inline 6 engines sound pretty beast, another 82? i think has one with straight pipes and wow that thing will make some noise

Quick Reply: Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!