Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?! - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!

Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
lew52
Postmaster
lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah we got or tuff trucks with push rod motors !!! I have a 04 5.4 3v that i use for work , its a nice truck & all but i rather drive my 95 . If i had to sell one i would say by to the 04 ,,, Lew

Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 PM
dwrestle
Elder User
dwrestle is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have to say the newer stuff is way to expensive, and the biggest mistake I ever made was buying that damn Colorado which I eventually traded for the F-150 in my avatar, which I eventually had to sell. I gotta say the little 5 cylinder in the Colorado is sweet, I loved that little bugger. I would not be ashamed to put the 4.2 that that motor is based on in my truck if the 300 ever dies, any other Chevy motor no way, but that one I could do. Chevy could replace the 4.8 and the 5.3 both with the 4.2.

The 300 is much more industrial than the newer engines are. It is just simple, and reliable. A lot of newer engines have the same low end torque and still have more top end than the 300, but they are more complicated than the 300 is, but they are still reliable.

That being said I will still take my $1000 dollar truck over the $25k dollar truck any day of the week.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
9.ford.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.9.ford.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
The 300 is much more industrial than the newer engines are. It is just simple, and reliable. A lot of newer engines have the same low end torque and still have more top end than the 300, but they are more complicated than the 300 is, but they are still reliable.
this is where i think trucks are going to hell in a hand basket...there are so many miles of wiring in these trucks its ridiculous...my 95 has wiring and ECU but compared to the newer truck which have a different computer for every degree you push the go pedal, and that is what jacks the prices up...and on top of that how can you work on a truck unless you are a computer programmer or something...and with all that electrical crap there is much more to go wrong and when it does it just adds to the already oversized cost of the truck because you have to go to the dealer to reset your ECU everytime you get a flat tire... this is all because people dont understand their trucks anymore and most of them cant check their own oil so they never know whats wrong with them till its too late, so companies compensate by making the vehicle monitor every aspect of itself and then try to communicate that with the driver, rather than a simple CEL, check the codes and fix the problem lke the old trucks, they have a different light for everything and another 10 miles of wiring for everything.

Originally Posted by 5.0Torx View Post
AB And 6CylBill have it right folks.

Bill i really liked your comments on the pricing of the new stuff. I am the same way. My stang gets the same gas mileage as the new ones and is only a little slower for like 1/10th the price lol. My F250 was also getting the same mileage as my moms '00 4.6 exped. Its running a little under the weather right now but at least i dont need a degree in computer engineering to fix the problem. This brings me to my last point, and that is that i am fortunate enough to have my truck for work and my car for DDing and having fun in, yet both are old and high mileage. So i definitely agree on the whole old vs. new argument. The new stuff just isnt as robust. Theyre great when they work, but i feel like i could drive my 250 through a brick wall, or possibly through an nuclear holocaust where the EMP shockwave has rendered all the new crap useless. bwahahaha

Cheers y'all!
X2...the most sensible thing ive heard all day...which is a head scratcher considering today was my first day back to school HAHA

but i especially like that last part...nailed it

"i feel like i could drive my 250 through a brick wall, or possibly through an nuclear holocaust where the EMP shockwave has rendered all the new crap useless. bwahahaha"

i had to LOL at that, made my day right there

Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
blueovalfan1
Freshman User
blueovalfan1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, I'm still here, been reading it all. For the most part I'm still appreciating the information. Haven't read anything to make me think I shouldn't try the I6. Carry on...

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by blueovalfan1 View Post
Yes, I'm still here, been reading it all. For the most part I'm still appreciating the information. Haven't read anything to make me think I shouldn't try the I6. Carry on...

Then go ahead and do it. That's about all the infortmation you need to know.

Allow me to also point out the Jeep I6 (the 4.0 version). Those are a lot faster than the 300 even in stock form, let alone built.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
9.ford.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.9.ford.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 6CylBill View Post
Then go ahead and do it. That's about all the infortmation you need to know.

Allow me to also point out the Jeep I6 (the 4.0 version). Those are a lot faster than the 300 even in stock form, let alone built.
but if i ever meet anyone who put a JEEP motor in a FORD truck id have to kick him/her really damn hard...thats the same as putting a 350 chev in a ford it simply should not be done, its an insult to say the least, want a 350 buy a chebby, want a 4.0 inline buy a jeep, its that simple

bill you also have to consider the size, a jeep weighs far less than these truck do, smaller with less air resistance, and that engine is a little 4.0 it probably revs like an import v6 does to make its power

and in my opinion if going fast is on your brain from the start save time and money and frustration and get a v8....im building my I6 not to be a drag racer but i want it faster, im going for more of a torque monster than anything, something that with pull pull and pull again, and make the v8s look like crap in the process HAHA

Old 09-02-2009, 02:32 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
5.0Torx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5 View Post
bill you also have to consider the size, a jeep weighs far less than these truck do, smaller with less air resistance, and that engine is a little 4.0 it probably revs like an import v6 does to make its power

wrong

again

Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
I think he does want to go fast. It's a hot rod. That's why I suggested the 4.0L. The 4.0 makes more horsepower than the 300, and evem more than the 302 in the 4.0LHO version. The Jeep six isn't that small. Yes, it likes to rev like an 8; It's a mudding motor.

I'd say a 4-door Jeep Cherokee isn't much smaller than my truck. Maybe by 500 lbs or so? My point was that he could easily build a 4.0L; they have decent aftermarket support!

Oh yes.. Before anyway mentions the "lack of low end" in comparison to the 300.. The 4.0 will put you back in your seat with a tap of the skinny pedal. It makes good low end even in stock form. Nothing impressive but enough to have fun with.

Just a suggestion was all. =)

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 5.0Torx View Post
wrong

again
well so far 2 people say it revs and only you say it doesnt, whos wrong here?

i was exaggerating that a little by the way, it is not gonna make its godly amounts of horsepower without revving higher than a 300, they see 3k at top, this thing probably wouldnt make much power at all until 3k

i just simply think is wrong to put a jeep engine in a ford truck, its an insult, want a 4.0L jeep, BUY A JEEP, please dont put that engine in a ford, not bashing it at all im just saying it has its place and its place is not a ford truck

i saw a gorgeous late 60s mustang at the car show this year, and the owner put a 350 chevy in it, that totally destroyed that car like WTF is that i wanted to throttle him, pisses me off i know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if theres one thing i hate its that

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
dwrestle
Elder User
dwrestle is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Jeep six has good low end torque, good mid range torque and good HP. The 300 could have all those things but they don't flow good enough for that. If the 300 had more flow comparable to the 4.0(enough to feed 4.9 liters not just 4.0) then I think the 300 would probably make more HP than the 4.0.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
i saw a gorgeous late 60s mustang at the car show this year, and the owner put a 350 chevy in it, that totally destroyed that car like WTF is that i wanted to throttle him, pisses me off i know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if theres one thing i hate its that
I feel the same way with all V8's. When it comes to I6 motors I feel it's okay to have a little more freedom. I know this doesn't make any sense but it's just the way I feel.

The 300 doesn't make good horsepower. It does't like to rev. The Jeep-6 does. It's a good mudding motor for this reason, and also a good hot-rodding motor (if you want to be different and go for the I6). Plus the Jeep-6 sounds really sweet with a baffled muffer and no kitties.

I wouldn't mind having a hot rodded Jeep Six in a Ford truck just for kicks.
Just my two cents.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Broomfieldbum
Posting Guru
Broomfieldbum is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
well so far 2 people say it revs and only you say it doesnt, whos wrong here?

i was exaggerating that a little by the way, it is not gonna make its godly amounts of horsepower without revving higher than a 300, they see 3k at top, this thing probably wouldnt make much power at all until 3k

i just simply think is wrong to put a jeep engine in a ford truck, its an insult, want a 4.0L jeep, BUY A JEEP, please dont put that engine in a ford, not bashing it at all im just saying it has its place and its place is not a ford truck

Just my 2 cents, but I agree with the "Keep Ford's Ford idea here. I have a good friend who sells Hot Rod stuff, and he has a classic Ford with a GM engine and it drives me nuts. He says I am to much of a purist. Maybe I am, but I like the classics for what they are, not what I can make them. I don't mind the Reproduction Cobra's and the like, because they were intended to give someone that freedom of choices. When it comes to true classics, I am a purist. I searched for and found a classic Ford with a I6, and it will never see a V8 as long as I own it. I just like the old ones for what they are.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
The Jeep 4.0 is much like the GM Vortec 4200 I6. They can rev much higher then the 300-6, but still have just as much low end torque. Lets take the Vortec 4.2 , it makes 291HP @ 6000 , and 275 lb-ft @ 4800 RPM - yet, thanks to modern computer head design, and variable valve timing, this engine still makes ~260 lb-ft at just 1200 RPM. More horse power, high revving , and yet still has as much low end grunt as the 300-6.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:04 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
*More* low end grunt than the 300.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 PM
murph77
Elder User
murph77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Broomfieldbum View Post
When it comes to true classics, I am a purist. I searched for and found a classic Ford with a I6, and it will never see a V8 as long as I own it. I just like the old ones for what they are.
Ditto.

Murph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.