Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 PM
iam me
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tools

I don't remember if it was here or another site but, someone talked about how he made his own brake fluid pump for changing and bleeding brake fluid.... I poked around the net and I saw them selling for $60 to $100.......

Well I just put one together for my F250 that cost me less than $20.
Here it is....

I haven't tried it out yet, hopefully later this week but, I did make it so I can change out the reservoir cap in order to do other vehicles.

$8 pump
$2 reservoir cap from junkyard
$4 tubing
$4 connecting parts.

I have some epoxy in my toolbox so the total was under $20.

Any more cool tools out there?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Thats kinda cool. Lemme know if it works. Ive been looking into one of these also. I might end up getting the vacuum pump/bleeder pump but if this works itll still be neat. Keep me posted.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:34 AM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too am building one of these, but my project stalled because I cannot locate an inexpensive pressure gauge. I see you don't have one, and I guess they're not necessary, but I would like one. The directions I'm using said a good working pressure is 15lbs., but I can't find a small gauge that measures in that range for less than $12.-20.00.

If anyone can suggest a supplier for such a gauge, that'd be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Six

Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Elderstarr
Senior User
Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 AM
str8racing
Senior User
Would like original data if someone could find it, thanks.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 PM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by str8racing
Would like original data if someone could find it, thanks.
Str8racing:

Did you mean you wanted instructions on how to build one?

Here you go: http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

And here's one to buy: http://www.tptools.com/p/658,313_Pow...eder-Kits.html

I'm not recommending you purchase the latter, as I've got no experience with that--I just included it for a price reference, for motivation to build your own--LOL.

Elderstarr,

I will check out their shipping costs, from Canada--thank you!

Peter

Old 08-24-2009, 02:13 PM
iam me
Junior User
Originally Posted by BigSix1
I too am building one of these, but my project stalled because I cannot locate an inexpensive pressure gauge. I see you don't have one, and I guess they're not necessary, but I would like one. The directions I'm using said a good working pressure is 15lbs., but I can't find a small gauge that measures in that range for less than $12.-20.00.

If anyone can suggest a supplier for such a gauge, that'd be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Six
I wouldn't worry about the gauge, in the post I read the guy had made and used these a couple of times with no gauges, selling them when finished. I use these pumps all the time for my gardening and considering the application, you shouldn't have any problem.

Plus you have to figure the application too. Since you're not on your back twisting the wrench every ten seconds, you'll be able to watch the whole process easier. The original poster used a two liter soda bottle to catch the old fluid with a wire coat hanger holding it upright at the wheel. I'm using an opaque coolant jug so I'll have to keep an eye in the clear tubing from the bleed valve.

But figure when it's time to release pressure you just twist the pump top and everything is fine. It's a closed system so unless you go spastic on pumping up pressure you can't screw it up. You'll start with the brake right under the reservoir so you can gently practice the technique before moving on....

But if you really need a gauge, try old or cheep bicycle pump gauges. Someone you know will probably have an old trashed tire pump gauge needing the be tossed. You just have to ask so you can be there to catch it.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 PM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
i have one of these made out of a weed killer bottle. 5 pumps is about 10psi.so i do about 6 and bleed em.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:38 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Thats cool. I have been wanting to get one of those setups. We have always done it the old fashioned way or with a vaccuum pump. I agree that I don't think the gauge is really needed. I hope it works.