What Are You Doing To Your Truck? - Page 10 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

What Are You Doing To Your Truck?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Elder User

T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
:-) How many different piles do you guys have?

"I need this to drive truck to work" pile

"stuff the wife knows about" pile

"stuff the wife won't realize is for the truck" pile

"better she didn't see this" pile
Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Post Fiend

ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have lots of "piles". Oh wait - we are talking about actual piles of parts - not piles of sh%@ - which is what many people call my cars/trucks.

I do have piles of parts though
This was the ranger section (now they are parts for the 74 supercab) of the "parts storage" area. This is when I was moving into the shop and there are double the amount of shelves up there now and 3 times the parts!!!

Now back to the "what are you doing to your truck" part of the thread.

I was building shackles for the crew the other night.

They got painted last night and I got back to cutting up that 96 bronco. I was gonna dump that cage structure for cheap - but in looking at it last night I realized it was 1.75" dia. x .120 wall 4130 chromoly. That's like $5 a foot and there's probalby easily 100 feet + here
Old 11-11-2009, 02:10 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Wow, you guys must have a lot more shop space for piles than I do. I usually don't buy something until I have scheduled time to install.

Or maybe, once I buy something I get too excited to wait to install.

Whichever, no parts piles around here. They draw too much suspicion.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Post Fiend

ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm not married yet so I can get away with it. Even then - Suzy is in training now, so she KNOWS this car fetish will continue through the rest of my life. While she will comment on how much time/$$ I spend on these things she knows it's my $$/time so it's my perogative and that will NOT change with marriage

As for the space - yes I have a bit. What was in a 2 car garage overflowed and I added a 20 foot shipping contianer. That went to a 1600 s.f. shop that is ALL car stuff. And now even the shop is getting full. You think I have a car problem??????
Old 11-11-2009, 02:20 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754 View Post
You think I have a car problem??????

Problem? No!

You like cars.
You buy cars.
You work on cars.
You might some day sell a car.

No Problem!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754 View Post
she knows it's my $$/time so it's my perogative and that will NOT change with marriage
You say that NOW.

We've heard it all before.

Just wait.......

Pop
Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Post Fiend

I'm trying to sell a car or 2 - just people don't want what I have - hahaha

As for the wife thing - I never understood how wives dictate guys lives. I have seen it both ways. Some buddies seem to get neutered and can't have a life anymore. Another buddy on the other had (car guy) set it straight from the beginning that he WILL continue with cars and he still does what he wants with them.

I plan to be more like the latter of the 2. If I'm bringing in the $$ which it looks like I will be - I will spend it how I wish. Obviously food on the table and paying the mortgage comes 1st, but new curtains or a new carburator???? Yup - carb is higher on the priority list. Luckily Suzy isn't into the normal, frilly, girl stuff. Shes cool with hot rods, etc. so she understands
Old 11-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
A real marriage, one that lasts, is a give-and-take thing. You sound like you're not as willing to give as to take. No castigation, just something that's very common in today's "me generation" world. Those marriages usually don't last, especially if you married someone your intellectual peer (you'll be a damn fool if you don't).

Ask any of us who have been married twenty-five years or more and see what they say. There's plenty of us around here.

Of course, there's not the emphasis put upon "a lasting marriage" that there once was, so maybe it's not as important to society today. But look at where the stability of society has gone as a result.

OK, off the soap box, Pop.... (hook...........aaaaack........>>>>>>>>)

Pop
Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Post Fiend

I totally agree. I see far too many friends getting married and breaking it off way too soon. I see people rush into marriage without really knowing the person and I WON'T do that.
I want to do it once and do it right. Heck - we've been together for over 4 years so far and we'll probably be together for another 2 years before I even propose. Then a year MINIMUM engagement just to make sure - haha. Plus - we can't get married until the 38 Pickup is done because we've agreed that we are driving off from our wedding in that and now I have to hold up my end of the bargain and finish it before she'll walk down the isle

As far as it being a give and take - I TOTALLY agree. But I give in other areas rather than cars. Have I been to all sorts of musicals, plays and other crap I really don't like because she is into it - yes. Does that cut into car time - sure. Would I be there if she wasn't in my life - now way in he77. But, she likes it so I go.
Oh, and I guess I do give a bit in cars... I only have 8 as of now, rather than the 15 or more I would like to have.

Theres more than that for sure - but it's what came to mind.

I'm not a complete ogre to her - I just am not going to give up my lifes passion that easily.

The carb/curtains thing was more of a joke - but in all honsty she hates curtains and has given up house decorating rights to me anyways I'm a designer by trade and she admits I have better taste/style than she does for things like that. Do I still aks her opinion on stuff like that - sure. Do we usually agree anyways - yup.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Elder User

T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
:-) For all of you that actually have a respectable amount of space to work on your trucks.... I hate you guys.... but in a good way. ;-)

Thought I was moving up in the world when I finally got a garage my vehicle fit in. While still moving in, my Yukon got totaled and I had the good sense to replace it with the 250... so I still don't fit. Nice to be able to pull most if it in and work in the shade though.

As for wives, women and give and take... You guys have about summed it up. It has to go both ways for things to work. That of course means that it needs to go your way from time to time as well, and sometimes drawing a line in the sand early lets her feel like you've compromised later on. :-) The trick is being appropriately diplomatic, depending on what the situation dictates.

-Toilet seat?
Sure.
Ballet?
I suppose just this once.
-Romantic get-away?
"Only if I can book both of us for a track day at Mazda Speedway... yes dear, you get to drive fast."
-Spending too much time on the truck?
I thankfully haven't heard this one - since I've saved her car from idiot mechanics a few times...
-Why do you always buy the expensive beer?
You'll thank me in half an hour when you open two and bring me one while I finish the truck. If i bought crap beer, I'd have to get it myself. (This worked surprisingly well.)
-Will you help me pick out clothes four my nephews birthday?
No. Boys like cars. This one has a remote control... he's getting this one.

And for compramise?
-Can we go with some of my friends to kareoke night? No.
-I'll take you to dinner first and pick up the bar tab?
You don't ask me to sing, and I am never without scotch.

- Honey, can we visit my family?
What was that, I wasn't listening?
- You and my uncle can play with stuff that goes 'boom' in the desert.
I'll drive.

- Can we go see Twilight?
No.
- I'll get you drunk first.
We can have drinks. After that.... no.

As for being off topic - touched up the alignment today and did the steering box adjustment. Still a tad 'springy' feeling - but took 98% of the play out of the steering. It at least lets me put off shelling out for a redhead gear box for a little longer :-)
Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Post Fiend

I like your negotiating - as it sounds like mine.

Suzy's been working on the Karaoke thing for a few years now as she loves that crap too. I let her go with the girls to that one. Although I did go for her b-day I got a beer VERY quickly and started down the "drink til they sound acceptable (not even good) route...
Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Posting Guru

Serg450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Serg450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Serg450 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am one of those dummy's that spends way to much. My wonderful wife never say's anything. But when she say's she wants something, I don't even look at the tag. I just pay. I mean she never say's anything about how much or on what the money goes to. Spending 2k on a new bag I don't understand. One the other hand she probably say's the same about some of the stuff I buy.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Elder User

:-) Smart man Serg.

Btw, clean looking fab work chase. It's satisfying to build something for your own rig. Good to see someone else doing a nice job of taking the "build it yourself" route. I've been going into withdraw from fabricating. Not doing it for work at the moment, and all my personal equipment is on the other coast until I know where I'm going to settle in for a bit.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Post Fiend

You like the fabrication huh? I like doing all of my own work - and definitely take pride in it. Plus I'm so picky about the fabrication that the only guys I would trust to work on my truck I couldn't afford. I can do better work than the guys I could actually afford to pay to work on my truck so I just take forever building it in my "spare" time

Well, this is the thread that came from:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...g-hangers.html

Here's one I did for the seat install:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ruck-seat.html

And here's the entire truck build:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-crew-cab.html
This is the same thing - but they allow you to go back and edit posts later - so I was able to fix the 1st page or so of pics after the photobucket slip up...
1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

The 74 supercab is next and will be more of a race truck type project. This ones just the tow rig and while it doesn't get all the trick parts like the race truck will - I still can't cut corners on fabrication as it just bugs me.

Oh - and I DON'T do this for a living - though some people tell me I should...
Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 PM
2 bit Californian

January will mark 35 years of wedded bs for me. I wouldn't even try to give someone else advice on how to last so long. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything smart or remarkable. Apparently I am blessed with a woman with low expectations. And I try not to dissappoint her.