Print Wikipost

Power steering problem - hard to the right

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Happyreefer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering problem - hard to the right

I have never had power steering problems until now.

truck turns to the left fine, but when turning to the right there is no Power steering and feels like I am going to break something with the amount of force it takes to turn the wheel.

Again left turn is just like it always is, stopped or moving it works great, but the right is the problem. Once moving it is easier to turn to the right but I can still feel that there is a problem.

How do i diagnose whether it is a power steering pump, steering gear, ball joints or wheel bearings. as these items are the only thing I can think of that would hinder such operation.

I have recently pulled bearings and repacked. replace one bearing but the rest were in good shape, so I think bearings are fine. Some might remember pictures in the Florida Mud, there was some water intrusion durring that outing.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
My guess would be something is wrong in the steering gearbox. Since it turns fine going left, the pump is working, and the direction is determined in the steering box, not the pump.
Its possible the water worked its way inside and screwed up the valving or however it works inside the box.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Yep, I'd say gear box also. Had it happen to several Fords over the years, one side or the other turns fine,turn the other way and it's powered by "armstrong"

Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
X3 on the gearbox.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:37 AM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
I just changed out my steering gear box for the exact same problem, works great now.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:45 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my 1999 gmc did the same thing my my rack and pinon whent out i say this the stear gear box

Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Happyreefer
Senior User
Originally Posted by mistakenID
Yep, I'd say gear box also. Had it happen to several Fords over the years, one side or the other turns fine,turn the other way and it's powered by "armstrong"

this is too funny! I appreciate the replys. I was on here a while back and heard that going with REDHEAD reman box is the way to go. should I go down to the local napa looking for one or should I have redhead rebuild it for me?

again thanks for the replys..

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 AM
BlueHeavyD
Junior User
Happy, did you fine a replacement steering box? My truck is doing the exact same thing. I just replaced my pump and and hoses thinking that it was the culprit but that wasn't it. It had 253,000 on it so no loss there. I am curious what replacement steering box is the best way to go. It seems the dealers pricing is out of control for parts I have needed lately. What do you guys suggest?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Happyreefer
Senior User
I have one on the way here, actually hoping it should be here today. I ended up going with the REDHEAD box. It cost me 226.00 plus 73.00 for shipping and a core of 65.00.

But everyone I spoke with said it was the box as well. since the pump only runs one way, and that the steering to the left is fine, that shows its not the pump, but the gear.

It cost me a little more than what I would pay at the local parts store. But I figured it is worth the money for me. I will do a write up on the removal and install of the new box and post my findings once that is done.

I already have been soaking my pitman arm in PB Blaster to help with an easy Removal and replacement, but here is a thread on another website.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...ng-box-105717/

Good luck

Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 AM
BlueHeavyD
Junior User
I will be replacing mine too soon. I look forward to your write up on your replacement.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 09-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Happyreefer
Senior User
UPS just left the house and brought me a present.

Here she is, might start working on this tonight..

Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Happyreefer
Senior User
Old steering gear is out. all cleaned up and ready for the install tomorrow.

very easy removal except one item.

-1 pinch bolt to the steering shaft. Had to be pried off the shaft using a tie-rod fork.
-2 line nuts. Came off easy. I slightly tightened them before loosening.
-3 bolts to the frame. They came off with no problems.
-1 Pitman arm. Here was my PITA. pitman arm puller did not work, 2 different size pullers did not work. 2 hrs later and 2 of my oldest chisels and a BFH popped it off in 5 minutes. I pulled the tie rod end off as well and put the whole gear in the vise to remove the pitman arm. if you use the chisel technique, be careful no to damage your core, I wouldnt want to be out 65.00.

I also removed all steering lines. cleaned them up and blew them out with shop air to make sure all the fluid is new when I go to re-fill.

The old gear was very sloppy when out of the truck. I was able to cycle it by hand very easily. I hope this new gear drives as well as it looks.

Tomorrow I will let you know how it drives.

Last edited by Happyreefer; 09-02-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Happyreefer
Senior User
Alright, Problem Solved, Installed and Drives like a champ.

The Gear Box was the problem and now she turns left and right like she should. the Steering feels tight with NO play what-so-ever. I am very happy with my purchase.

The install was a little tricky by myself, but i got her done. if you have a buddy, the job would go a lot easier. especially when trying to get the box mounted back to the frame rail.

The lines going back into the steering gear were a little bit of a pain, I recommend removing the line mounting hardware from cross-member prior to installing lines into gear. It makes it a little easier to line up the threads going into the gear, once those are installed re-mound the cross-member line mounts. If you pull the line off the pump, the threaded high pressure line has a small nylon washer that will probably need to be replaced. I paid 1.50 for a 2 pack at car quest, ask for power steering washers. sometimes hard to find.

The steering column went on fairly easy, make sure you unlock your steering wheel to help with aligning the splines on the gear shaft easier, as in put the key in the ignition and turn to acc. I did use a long drift and hammer to help with seating it all the way on the shaft prior to tightening the pinch bolt.

Had no problem remounting the drag link and pitman arm. when I parked my truck I just made sure I was straight before starting the project.

I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for fluid. after everything was fitted and tight, I filled the reservoir and started the truck. before turning the wheels, I just kept adding while the truck was running. once it stopped taking ATF, I started to turn a little in both directions. it made some noise but not much. I did that maybe 3 times each way until I locked out in each direction. Topped off one more time and when around the block one time swerving left and right, stopped checked fluid, no need to add more, went for a 15 minute drive to a large parking lot and did a couple circles in each direction at full lock. pump seems happy just like the driver.

3 hr removal and Cleanup (I degreased the entire area where the lines and gear were and cleaned up the lines) 2hrs spent on just the pitman arm removal.

2 hr install (no help)

226.00 rebuilt redhead gear (ordered on a Wednesday, received following Wednesday)
73.00 shipping
65.00 core
1.50 nylon washer
7.99 1 quart mobile 1 synthetic ATF

hope this helps anyone in need. good luck.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:35 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
iam looking in to get my rebuild so it dose help

Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
BlueHeavyD
Junior User
Happy, congrats on getting your steering problem solved. I finally got working on mine last night. I got everything apart and have the new box bolted in. I ran out of time and had to quit but am concerned about one thing. What are the chances that the new gear is centered? With the tie rod end loosley connected to the pitman arm, the pitman arm splines matched up perfectly where they were. I just don't know if it is centered. I hope I haven't messed up or is this a dump question? Hey, this is my first attempt at steering box replacement.
I ended up getting a re-maned gear from a buddy that owns a parts store. (These days I am looking to save a buck where ever I can). Should I run the Mobile 1 in it?
Thanks,
Bill

Quick Reply: Power steering problem - hard to the right