Power steering problem - hard to the right - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Reload this Page >

Power steering problem - hard to the right

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only
Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power steering problem - hard to the right

Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Happyreefer
Senior User
Happyreefer is starting off with a positive reputation.
For me I disconnected the drag link from the pitman arm during disassembly so when i installed it on the new gear I just loosely put it on the splines with the nut on it to hold it on. After that I just check it by turning the steering wheel to full lock right and got under and look at the position of the pitman arm, then did the same for full lock to the left.

The splines on mine gear allow the pitman arm to be install only 4 different ways, so if the pitman arm was installed in the wrong position i would be VERY obvious. I'm guessing that is the same case for you. if your drag link is still connected, you can do the same thing just put your front end up on jack stands so the tires don't give any resistance. hope that made sense. good luck.

I'm sure your ready to get rid of your "Armstrong" powered steering, I know I was.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
BlueHeavyD
Junior User
BlueHeavyD is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK, thanks, that makes sense. I just got home from work so I am headed out to the garage to finish this thing. I noticed the grooves in the shaft and should have thought about it a little more before asking.
I stopped by NAPA and picked up the return line to the pump ( I already have a new pump and pressure line). The dealer wanted $157.00 for it?????? The exact replacement from NAPA was 21.00!!!!!
Hopefully I will have this thing back together and on the road tonight.
Thanks again,
Bill

Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend
Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
Before you hook up the lines to the new steering gear, I would dump a quart of fluid through the pump to flush out any contamination with the engine idling.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:03 AM
BlueHeavyD
Junior User
BlueHeavyD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I finally got my truck back together. Steers great again. Thanks for all your help and also for letting "borrow" your thread.
I didn't get to spend Thursday night working on the truck because my better half had different plans so finished last night. For me the biggest problem I had was getting the new return line threaded into the gear. The bends were a little off so It took a little time to to adjust them. Other than that it wasn't too bad for this rookie. I did end up flushing the whole system real good as Dave suggested. Hopefully this gear will last another 255,000 miles!
Thanks again for the help.
Bill

Old 10-23-2010, 05:20 PM
peboiteau
Freshman User
peboiteau is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank for sharing your experience.
I will change mine soon...

Old 10-23-2010, 07:18 PM
typefour
Elder User
typefour is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recommend that you change the fluid a couple weeks after installing a new box.
Mine had some metal in it, did the exact thing no righty, valve spool was broken in the input shaft, napa was 87 for a Cardone box. Not my first choice but works fine. Cardone bought Priors in texas I was told so the boxes should be ok.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM
BANGN1
New User
BANGN1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 96 f-250 was doing exact same thing easy turning to left and hard to right..I just swapped in a new gear box and problem is fixed..I starting spraying all the bolts with pb blaster a couple days earlier and man the gear box came out with zero problems.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Grinddrumz
Freshman User
Grinddrumz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks to everyone involved in this thread!!! Same symptoms have been occuring on my truck just recently. But I also have the fluid soaked wheel well issue ... Hoping a new pressure side line and a box next week will solve my driving workout.