What is the deal with Propane vs Unleaded gas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 10:22 PM
kiksomepoo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could some one tell me the pros and cons of Propane, and if I were to convert how I might go about doing that?

Old 12-11-2002, 02:35 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Send me a e-mail and I will give you my Phone number to call me.
Too much info for me to type.

jengland@gasequipment.com
Gasman
Do you have Gas?
Propane Execeptional Energy

Old 12-21-2002, 10:23 AM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If propane had equal-to availability as diesel or gasoline, I would be interested in converting to it. I really wanted to when I had the 6mpg 454 dually. I decided against it though...

The problem is logistics, where would I fill up my truck? Most gas stations dont offer propane, Texaco is the only one I can think of, and Im not sure that all of the Texacos offer it. Plus, when you want propane there, its kind of a hassle to get it when they are busy because someone has to come out and unlock the dispenser and fill the tank for you, and not all the employees know how to do it, so you have to wait untill the person who knows is available to come out and fill it. Most other places that sell propane only sell the 5 gallon bottles on exchange, they dont sell it in bulk form that you could fill your truck's propane tank up with. I think I would be limited to going to RV stations or commercial fueling stations, which are rare in the areas I drive in.

I think propane would be an excellent alternative fuel to use in autos and light trucks and I would support that idea by converting my truck or buying a new truck with dual fuel capability, if the propane was available. Without the infrastructure for making it available, the idea is never going to go anywhere and the only way that infrastrucure is going to be built is if the government forces it into existence. That could happen sometime in the distant future, but I think for now the government has too much big money tangled up in the oil industry to give them the boot like that.

The same is probably true for compressed natural gas as well, since it requires different dispensing apparatus than gasoline or diesel. Methanol or Ethanol are probably more likely alternative fuels than LPG or CNG because I think they can be dispensed from existing fueling systems. Still, the gov't will have to get involved and force the issue if it is ever going to happen.

I would really love to see us (America) give Saudi Arabia and the other Arab oil countries the boot and come up with our own fuel sources. Without that oil money, they are going to have alot tougher time 'taking over the world' as it seems that's what they are trying to do nowdays.

Anyways, enough of my soapbox LOL

Old 12-21-2002, 10:35 AM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts