Modular V10 (6.8l)  

My plug change saga...more questions..(xl long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My plug change saga...more questions..(xl long)

I feel vindicated enough to make this into a 'saga' so here goes...

The signs were all present, rough choppy idle, missing under a load, just generally driving crappy. 95,055.5 miles on the original plugs. Everything pointed to a bad COP, MIL wasn't on, and I hadn't had my misfire codes read by scanner so I figured I'd just hopscotch a new COP around to see if the misfire went away...so the battle began.

BTW...my saga is long and rambling as it's dead here at work and I've got nothing better to do than share my experience...so if you want to get straight to the questions just scroll down till you see this thing...

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

I assembled all of my troops: 10 Autolite platinum plugs, 10 new Borg-Warner COP boots, two new Borg-Warner COPs, regular & extended length spark plug sockets, IN/LB torque wrench, jar of dielectric grease, jar of anti-seize, extendable inspection mirror, extendable magnetic reach and 6 cans of 3M compressed air...it was AAAWWWWNNN!!!

I decided to attack the rearmost passenger side plug first as I figured that would be the hardest...boy was I ever right. Making room to work took the most time; getting all the hoses and wires into a position where they'd stay out of the way was a bit of a challenge. I unplugged, unbolted and removed the COP, and then I realized there was no way to get the long nozzle of the can of 3M air down into the spark plug hole. I spent close to an hour searching the garage for something that was the right size and length...and ended up using a 4" piece of tubing that was from an anti-freeze tester kit, and a thicker, longer nozzle from a can of spray-on wall texture. Worked like a charm!

Ok back to the battle...plug hole was blown out, and not much debris blew out. Quick look with the inspection mirror showed that the hole was clean and I could see metal shining at the bottom of the hole. After wrangling the extended length spark plug socket into place, attaching a short extension, and then finally getting the ratchet on the end, I realized there was no room to swing the ratchet! Ok, removed said pieces, and use regular length spark plug socket, 6" extension, and ratchet...worked like a charm!! Unscrewed the plug a few turns, blew out the hole again for good measure. I unscrewed the spark plug by hand the rest of the way...the spark plug sockets rubber insert did get stuck on end of the spark plug which caused a 45 minute cuss fest trying to get the rubber insert to stay inside the socket so I could get at the plug with the magnetic reach.

Ok, so everything was removed from that one plug, took me damn near 2 hours with all the little hold ups. I decided since that was a major PITA that I'd not like to experience again, I'd put a brand new COP on that last cylinder. COP and boot were greased at all contact points, inside and out, plug was gapped and anti-seize applied evenly around threads. I learned my lesson and removed the rubber insert from the spark plug socket before installing. Started the threads by hand, and finished it off with the torque wrench. I blew out the hole one more time, and put the COP in place, plugged it in, and bolted it down. PHEW!

The other 9 plugs were a breeeeeeze compared to that last one! I did play hopscotch with the other new COP to no avail, the truck still had a misfire. At first I thought I was defeated by the misfire, if it's got new plugs, and all the COP's were tested with a new one then it's something else right?? I decided to just install the remaining new COP on the front most driver side cylinder instead of returning it to the parts store...and then I had a light-bulb moment!!

I had totally forgotten about replacing the other 8 old boots, and the new boots were quietly waiting to go into battle!! I smacked myself in the head with a grit covered hand, and got to work on replacing the boots. I crossed my fingers, my toes, my eyes, and started the truck...

I WON!! THE BOOTS SAVED THE DAY!! Misfire was gone, and she idled and drove smoother than I had ever remembered!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Problem solved...but looking at the plugs I've got more questions than answers. All the pass. side plugs have white deposits on them...yet the drivers side has black deposits on them. Hmm...I've always seen the plugs one color for both sides...nothing like this. I'll post pics once I get home from work so you guys can see.

Recently in the past day or so...I've noticed a little burp at idle again...before the plug change and the major misfire, my truck had always had a burp while idiling...could it be something else besides the ignition?? I did spray the MAF with electrical parts cleaner while I was doing the plug change thinking that was also some of the cause of the burping. Anything else??

For those who read my whole saga...thanks for reading!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:02 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on winning the hard-fought battle!

In regards to the plug coloring, you might check the fuel pressure on both rails to see if there is a difference.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:31 AM
rgthoma
5th Wheeling
I started with the most difficult plug too! After that battle, all went well. Good Job!

Old 09-13-2006, 07:06 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Check that PCV elbow and see if it's leaking. Those plugs looking light on that side might be a vacuum leak.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:20 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Munkey ,take your scanner and read the o2 sensor voltage for that side and then compare it to the other side. See if there is a difference
you may have one getting ready to fail
it will change the pulse width of the injector on the side with white deposits

Did you ever have broken exhaust stud bolts on this truck?

Rich

Last edited by FortyFords; 09-13-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:58 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
The pcv hose would cause all plugs to look white,wouldn't you think so Art?
It wouldn't effect just one bank ,just a thought.

Might be a head gasket or intake o-rings leaking also on the side with deposits.
Any mysterious anti freeze disapearing acts going on????

Rich

Old 09-13-2006, 09:17 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
You're right Rich

Maybe the O2 sensor on that bank is out-of-whack?

I'd check the fuel trims if possible.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:34 PM
bucky440
Senior User
Those dark driver side plugs, does your V10 have EGR? If it does, it goes into the driver's side, accounting for the discoloration.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:53 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Nice write-up. Would like to see those pics...for sure.

biz

Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by NoMo
you might check the fuel pressure on both rails to see if there is a difference.
Sounds like an idea, that'll give me an excuse to buy a new tool!

Originally Posted by krewat
Check that PCV elbow...
The outside insulation piece was cracked, don't know about the inner, but it's getting replaced anyway.

Originally Posted by FortyFords
Munkey ,take your scanner...Did you ever have broken exhaust stud bolts on this truck?...Any mysterious anti freeze disappearing acts going on????
No scanner, but thats another new tool excuse! Driver side exhaust has two broken nuts, and I'm 100% certain there is a slight exhaust leak. Would that have an effect on the plug color? No antifreeze is missing, that would be nasty bad news!

Originally Posted by bucky440
..does your V10 have EGR.
Nope, no EGR.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for no pictures yet, my camera seems to have grown legs.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:01 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Gee I would have expected the driverside plugs to be alittle white ,with a suspected exhaust leak .
But maybe the driverside o2 is compensating for seeing a slight lean(because of exhaust leak) at the o2 so it makes it rich. You would see it the fuel trims or o2 readings.
Rich

Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Schooner 45
Freshman User
Hey guys - I know this thread is old, but I'm getting older by the minute trying to chase down my problem. I went thru all this myself, so tell me - can a bad 02 sensor cause an intermittent misfire?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Schooner 45, PLEASE start your own thread. You have now posted in TWO old threads.