Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Starter recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter recommendations

So, it looks like I'm going to need a new starter. What I have in there currently is the stock replacement version from DB Electrical. I'm thinking of going with their High Torque version, but also considering going back to OEM. What other quality options are out there for me to consider?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive got a shop by me that rebuilds them with a lifetime warranty. you could always check something like that out so you never have to pay for one again..........

Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the BD HT version and so far am pretty happy with it. In hindsight not really sure I needed the HT model, but it wasn't much more.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Olddog66
Senior User
I’m on my second starter in three years. I went to AutoZone and got one with a lifetime warranty. Keep the receipt because you’ll be back. I talked to the manufacture and they said the 7.3L engines eat starters. First thing out of their mouth was, “Have you checked your glow plugs.” They’ve been trying to figure out why their starters won’t last with that engine. I figure I’ll be back in a couple of years for a new one. I’ve put my receipt in a safe place...I have a feeling they regret that lifetime warranty.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:40 AM
papadelogan

I think I'll try the BD HT starter most likely, and if that doesn't last... back to OEM. That one lasted 160,000 miles....

Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's probably the best bet to go with OEM. Mine lasted 175,000 miles and was still working, it was just slow and drawing a lot of power and wearing out. If I were to do it again I'd have went that route, not that I'm unhappy with DB.
Those parts store starters are all the same and usually don't last on any vehicle. you can buy a starter for the warranty and that's about all you get, or you can buy a starter that will last and pay more. Pick your poison.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 AM
papadelogan

I think I'll give THIS SHOP a call tomorrow morning and see if they'll match DB Electrical. Guess I'll need to get a price from Ed as well. oh goody...

Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Why do you have to replace the starter again so soon?
Is it slow to crank?
With only a two year old starter, I would be looking at everything that powers it.
Eliminate corroded cables, weak batteries, etc.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:55 AM
papadelogan

The starter isn't engaging the flexplate. I checked for missing teeth (none) and/or cracks in the flexplate (nope). It's an offshoot of THIS THREAD Dan.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Mine was doing the same thing, it wouldnt stay engaged.
I took it back to Autozone and they"tested" it, it worked, but the engagement part would retract back very fast and not stay out. They gave me a new one and all has been fine. I now need a new Alternator and am thinking about a DB

Old 09-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Beast01
Senior User
Howdee gents,
Been a while. Trucks been running good till last night. The wife had to try 10x before the truck would start. Same starter issue it seems. We got a DB HT starter about 3 months ago when the factorty starter died at 202xxx miles. Replaced it withe the DB HT unit and and it held for about 40 days. Turn key all you would hear is a click from the starter. It wasnt even trying to engage.

DB sent me another and now after about the same time frame we are experiencing the same issue. Turn key and click. nothing. Then wait 10 minutes and the thing fires up. Can hear starter spin up as it should without issue. Gave Robby a call at DB and he says check wires, baterries and make sure to not over tighten the bolt on the hot wire to the starter.

He told me that if all volts/batteries and cables check out then call him back and he will send out another unit. Does anyone think heat(Arizona kind) plays an issue with this type of starter? Im wondering the same thing, if I should just you the factory starter instead of the HT. The one from Ford lasted 200k. My 2 BDs not even 15k.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:59 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by papadelogan
I think I'll give THIS SHOP a call tomorrow morning and see if they'll match DB Electrical. Guess I'll need to get a price from Ed as well. oh goody...
The one at your link sounds almost just like the one from DB. Might even be the same unit. Both are Nippondenso units, have the 13 tooth pinion, and they even look almost identical from the pictures. Make sure to question them regarding returns and warranty issues.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:39 PM
papadelogan

I ended up getting a 100% new OEM Mitsubishi starter that has worked perfectly. I figured that since the original one lasted 160k then I'd stick with what worked.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by papadelogan
I ended up getting a 100% new OEM Mitsubishi starter that has worked perfectly. I figured that since the original one lasted 160k then I'd stick with what worked.
I bet the price of a new Ford starter was "shocking" but if the original one lasted for 160k and 10 years you probably made a good decision.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 PM
papadelogan

Originally Posted by RedBoat
I bet the price of a new Ford starter was "shocking" but if the original one lasted for 160k and 10 years you probably made a good decision.
They sold it to me for $175.00 shipped. Twice the price of the one I had, but this one works every time. Only $10-ish more than the DB High Torque, but I was at the point of just wanted something that I knew would work.