2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Sold Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold Expedition

fortunately I sold the expedition and got a decent trade in. I was about to get out of warranty and didnt want to have to fix the crappy transmission or a number of other things outside the warranty. All I can say is after driving the expedition for almost 3 years and now owning a chevy, the Chevy wins hands down to comfort on the interior, gas mileage, V8 growl, quietness inside and driveability. I shopped around for a crew cab 1/2 ton 4x4, including the new 09 F150 4x4, 09 Dodge Ram 4x4 and the 09 Chevy 1500 4x4. I was comparing top end loaded out trucks. After driving and comparing all the options I went with the Chevy. Man this 5.3L engine and transmission can get the power to the wheels. No more fumbling of gears.....woohooo. Good luck to all of you with that crappy 6 speed ford transmission, and yes the new F150 has the same sloppy one, on the test drive it shifted similar to my expedition and that really killed it for me. I could floor it and the same ole feeling i received in the expedition came back.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
good luck with your decision.

I've had almost every single major brand of cars out there in the past 10 yrs, and I can assure that Ford offers the best line-up. Maybe not the best options in every category, but they offer the most complete package.
The only 1 I haven't bought is Chevy...and not from a lack of trying. But apparently Chevy vehicles are gold plated. I don't have that kind of money.

The 09 F-150 has a different version of the 6 speed. It has more clutches to allow for more Heavy Duty applications...and since 2003/2004, Ford has used a adaptive tranny shifting. It learns how you drive.
You cannot base shift patterns on a truck that has idled from Assembly line to the Transport Truck, and then from there to the Dealers Lot.
I had a 09 XLT rental F-150 for almost 2 weeks. 2,500 miles roughly on the odometer. It even had the 4.6 3v and not the 5.4...and that truck had absolutely no problems getting up and scooting.

smoothly downshifted and took off

Fords aren't always for everybody.
BTW, How does it feel to have payed for a vehicle twice?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
bamp
Freshman User
I had the opposite experience than carbonmetallic, I bought an 08 GMC Yukon, lots less room. Wouldn't trade my Expy for two Chevy/GMC in an even swap if I had to keep them. You're right GM vehicles should be gold plated.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:10 PM
StephonGarnett
New User
Well, I can't blame you if you have chosen chevy over ford. You became subjective and relied on what you think is right. I am telling you man, you won't also regret if you bought the Ford truck.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 AM
n2umr
Senior User
Carbon should have read the new Consumer Reports issue. The Expedition was recommended over the tahoe and yukon hands down. GM got slammed over quality issues and reliability and all of there truck models from '03 to '09 were in the stay away from category.

The 5.3 from chevy and there antiquated transmission are not even close to being on par with the 5.4 and the 6 speed. Must be Carbon didn't know how to teach his transmission how to shift because I have had no issues with mine and I have 40k miles on it.

As far as room, comfort and interior, no comparison, the expy is far superior. GM has to do a lot to catch up to the build quality and engineering that Ford has in their trucks. As an engineer it's hard to fathom that GM has built vehicles for this long and still been competitive with their competition, push rods, who uses push rods anymore?

Mark

Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n2umr
Carbon should have read the new Consumer Reports issue. The Expedition was recommended over the tahoe and yukon hands down. GM got slammed over quality issues and reliability and all of there truck models from '03 to '09 were in the stay away from category.

The 5.3 from chevy and there antiquated transmission are not even close to being on par with the 5.4 and the 6 speed. Must be Carbon didn't know how to teach his transmission how to shift because I have had no issues with mine and I have 40k miles on it.

As far as room, comfort and interior, no comparison, the expy is far superior. GM has to do a lot to catch up to the build quality and engineering that Ford has in their trucks. As an engineer it's hard to fathom that GM has built vehicles for this long and still been competitive with their competition, push rods, who uses push rods anymore?

Mark
No, Carbon had legitimate tranny problems that the dealer could not resolve. He shouldn't have to teach anything how to do anything. He did the best thing in his situation, got rid of it. I have been following his plight for sometime. If you had the same problems, you would go to a standard 4 speed tranny anyday.

Good luck Carbon.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
All I can say is I have 07 Expy and my co-worker has an 07 Chevy. I am always picking him up at the dealership for little issues with his Chevy. Right now his lift gate that won't open, broken trim piece in the back seat area, and an A/C problem.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by berry1234
No, Carbon had legitimate tranny problems that the dealer could not resolve. He shouldn't have to teach anything how to do anything. He did the best thing in his situation, got rid of it. I have been following his plight for sometime. If you had the same problems, you would go to a standard 4 speed tranny anyday.

Good luck Carbon.
09 5.3 CC chevy is a 6 speed auto.

Also, Consumer Reports IMO sucks when it comes to car reviews, they have gotten better but I've always found Edmunds and the likes more real in their reviews.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
yes the 09's have the 6 speed as an option, the 4 speed is still available. Test drove both. The six speed was smoother shifting that my expedition was, but I opted for the 4 speed because of the way it drove, plus I wasnt happy with the 6 speed in the expedition. I drove 200 miles the other day in my new truck and got over 20 mpg going and average of around 75 mph, not too bad for a 4x4 truck.

Had the truck two weeks and still love driving it. Every time I get in and start it up I love hearing the growl of the V8. It gets up and goes very well and this past weekend took it on my first off road adventure and the 4x4 worked flawlessly. It kicked in so smooth I almost didnt even know it was there other than not having the rear tires spinning going through the deep sand. For those of you who said that Chevy was gold plated. It feels that way when you drive it, but as far as price goes they are all negotiating right now. I got right around 18K off plus they took 50% off the 5 yr 100K extended warranty that covers everything bumper to bumper and gives me a loaner car. My truck is the Chevy LTZ model, fully loaded with navigation, rear dvd, 4x4, rain sensing wipers, wood grain, leather, onstar, auto folding mirrors, tow package, built in trailer brake controller, dual climate control, electric lumbar, butt warmers and back warmer separate or together. One of the nicest things it has is that the exterior side mirrors dim at night just like the interior rear view mirror, no more glaring lights in the corner of my eyes.

And by the way consumer report's opinion isnt worth it. Try looking at reviews on edmunds. They are a little more accurate.
All my buddies have driven chevy and gmc products for the last 10 years and none of them have had any major issues. I have driven ford for the last 10 years, and my last two gave me transmission problems from almost the get go. Even after all the bad history, I looked at the new f150 but wasnt too impressed. almost the same 6 speed as the expedition has. The dad of one of my good friends bought a new F150 Extended cab and without me even mentioning the problems I had with my expeditions transmission, he came out and said his new truck had a funny down shift and was complaining about it fumbling gears alot. His truck is 2wd with the 5.4L. After hearing about his truck it just made me even more happy I didnt put myself in that situation again.
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
09 5.3 CC chevy is a 6 speed auto.

Also, Consumer Reports IMO sucks when it comes to car reviews, they have gotten better but I've always found Edmunds and the likes more real in their reviews.

Last edited by TigerDan; 08-10-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Language
Old 07-22-2009, 07:08 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Do you have a crew cab or extended cab?

Last edited by TigerDan; 08-10-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Removed quote with language
Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
I have the crew cab 4x4 short bed LTZ model.
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
Do you have a crew cab or extended cab?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by carbonmetallic
I do believe ALL 09 CCSB 5.3 or bigger (required for the LTZ pkg) are 6 speeds. 08s have 4 speeds. unless you get the 4.8 there is no 4 speed option on the 09 Silverados.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Kelly Aitken
Junior User
I had a '93 explorer and the trans took a dump at 140k. Probably my fault. I pulled a trailer with two harleys. Under the suggested tow rating but still a load. Next bought a '01 navigator, tourque conveter was going bad at 48k fixed under warrenty, took a dump at 98k and ate the trans. Just bought a 08 nav. Not sure I'm too happy with this new trans. Gets kind of funky at slow speeds. People here say thats how they are. If this vehicle gives me issues, it will be my last ford product.

Kelly

Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The first problem with your ford is the junk dirt sucking k and n filter. Just makes noise not power. Number 2 is the stupid leveling kit. U must have the cheap expy without the factory air ride. Number 3 is the cheap 17 in wheels. My 07 expy rides on 20 inch factory rubber and i have over 40 thousand and tires still look pretty good. Number 4 is the tune by mike. Thats probably whats wrong with your trany. U are a hot rodding nut and i never would look twice at any vehicle with mods like that if i were buying used. With over 40 k on our expy it as never been to the ford dealer for any problem as it has had none. The 6 speed trany is as smooth as butter and the car drives and rides like new. Number 5 is why would any sane person purchase the rip off extended warranty. Just a wind fall for gm and a bad investment for you. GM is broke and they luv u man i am sure. Number 6 is u will sweat your azz off in the cheby as i don't think they have the cooled seats like i have on my fords. U probably didn't have though as u had a cheap stripped down expy. Good luck with your nobama mobil. Oh by the way how do u like deem cuurb feeelers.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:48 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes the 09's have the 6 speed as an option, the 4 speed is still available. Test drove both. The six speed was smoother shifting that my expedition was, but I opted for the 4 speed because of the way it drove, plus I wasnt happy with the 6 speed in the expedition. I drove 200 miles the other day in my new truck and got over 20 mpg going and average of around 75 mph, not too bad for a 4x4 truck.

Had the truck two weeks and still love driving it. Every time I get in and start it up I love hearing the growl of the V8. It gets up and goes very well and this past weekend took it on my first off road adventure and the 4x4 worked flawlessly. It kicked in so smooth I almost didnt even know it was there other than not having the rear tires spinning going through the deep sand. For those of you who said that Chevy was gold plated. It feels that way when you drive it, but as far as price goes they are all negotiating right now. I got right around 18K off plus they took 50% off the 5 yr 100K extended warranty that covers everything bumper to bumper and gives me a loaner car. My truck is the Chevy LTZ model, fully loaded with navigation, rear dvd, 4x4, rain sensing wipers, wood grain, leather, onstar, auto folding mirrors, tow package, built in trailer brake controller, dual climate control, electric lumbar, butt warmers and back warmer separate or together. One of the nicest things it has is that the exterior side mirrors dim at night just like the interior rear view mirror, no more glaring lights in the corner of my eyes.

And by the way consumer report's opinion isnt worth it. Try looking at reviews on edmunds. They are a little more accurate.
All my buddies have driven chevy and gmc products for the last 10 years and none of them have had any major issues. I have driven ford for the last 10 years, and my last two gave me transmission problems from almost the get go. Even after all the bad history, I looked at the new f150 but wasnt too impressed. almost the same 6 speed as the expedition has. The dad of one of my good friends bought a new F150 Extended cab and without me even mentioning the problems I had with my expeditions transmission, he came out and said his new truck had a funny down shift and was complaining about it fumbling gears alot. His truck is 2wd with the 5.4L. After hearing about his truck it just made me even more happy I didnt put myself in that situation again.
Fully loaded. How do u like your power fold third row seat. lol Just by chance did u vote for nobama??!!

Last edited by TigerDan; 08-10-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Edited quote for language

Quick Reply: Sold Expedition