1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

99 Exped. Shudder,Vibration,Rough upon accerlation at speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 12:11 PM
sgou
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP!!!!

I have a 99 Expedition 5.4 EB with 41k and for the last 1000 miles i've noticed a shudder, vibration, rough "clunking"(lack of better word) when I accelerate. It is especially noticeable when the car is under load pulling a grade. I've noticed this at speeds usally higher than 40-45MPH but especially noticeable when going 65-75MPH. I brought it to my dealer/service dept. and they first thought it was related to the ignition coils ( no codes stored...so they determined that was not the cause), then the next step they replaced the fuel filter/ fuel pump/sender. Problem still present. Then they started looking at the transfer case and changed the oil in the transfer case and reset the GEM module/computer. Problem is still present!

Help!!!, has any one else experienced this same problem with their 99 Exped 5.4 EB? I have thrown $500 at this problem since the car is out of warranty and my ford powertrain warranty does not cover this area.

thanks for any insight into this problem

Old 04-17-2002, 02:42 PM
adelyser
Elder User

My first look would be the u-joints and transmission/motor mounts.

Old 04-17-2002, 04:16 PM
dzjammer
Senior User

I have noticed the same thing with mine. I haven't tried to look to deep into it. I have noticed if you switch it to 4wd and not on auto, its not as bad.

Old 04-21-2002, 03:04 PM
OldBMX
New User

I have a '99 as well and sounds like the same problem. Never does it at idle. Only has it when pulling even the slightest grades. I've taken it to two different dealers and get the same answer. They don't hear anyting except for "normal" noises. yeah.... right :-X23

Old 04-21-2002, 05:37 PM
sfc2001
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly same problem with my 99, 61k miles. Transfer case clutch failure. Plates begin to warp when they get hot, catching and 'snagging'. Went for the repair of just the clutch packs at $900, but when they got it apart found more damage. Ended up with a customer assistance repair for a totally new transfer case ($1800-2100 depending on where you go, total)... Customer assistance gets that down to $700 for my part.

Ford engineering has acknowledged to tech that they are starting to see a lot of these as these Borg Warner 4406 cases age. You will get a new shift motor with a new unit, regulates the AWD clutch engagement a lot better. (Wonder if the old motor had any part in the premature failure???)

If you switch into 4H briefly (give it enough seconds to be sure it's fully engaged), and then accelerate and the problem vanishes, you've got a transfer case issue.

Old 04-21-2002, 06:33 PM
sgou
New User

Thanks for all the feedback! Here is my progress so far

Just got the car back from the dealer and he reprogrammed the GEM module and the transmission mapping program. They are trying to do everthing they can other than replace the transfer case unit. I have been going back to the dealer and taking the tech out for drives for the last three visits (total elapsed time...1 month) and $$$. They claim that they don't feel anything abnormal and that the noise is from the shocks and vibration is normal road vibrations. They keep pointing to the fact that the computer does not register any fault codes so they claim and believe that no problem exists! On top of that they say that they have been calling the Ford Tech hotline and they have not seen any similar problems as mine! What a frustrating group of people to work with. They bury their heads in the sand until the car is dead in the tracks and/or towed in broken and not running! The service advisor said to bring it back when the car is doing it all the time or wait until something registers on the computer. I'll be going back to the dealer next week to do more trouble shooting with the tech. Meanwhile my wife (her car) is feeling unsafe and uncomfortable with this problem as she drives this car everyday with our kids.

Thanks for all the feedback. i'll keep you all posted of my progress. If this is true with the Borg/Warner units, Ford should step up and get all these units replaced!!!. This should not be considered a normal wear and tear item. I had a 1988 Toyota Land Cruise with over 200000 miles before replacing it with this Expedition and I am wishing for the old Cruiser about now!

Old 05-23-2002, 09:05 PM
expy74074
New User

I've had the same problem for the last month, just hit 53K miles. It's definitely in the drive train. Have checked the u-joints and cv-joints and they're all tight. I'm fearing taking it on vacation next month. If you find out what it is please post!

Thanks

Old 05-24-2002, 04:35 PM
sfc2001
Cross-Country

Update... Brand new transfer case installed now for 3-4 weeks...

Clunking/shudder/vibration is completely gone, under all conditions. Glad mine is fixed and that they did a 33/33/33 split on cost, but it's a shame that such an expensive piece could fail so easily.

Rule of thumb is be sure to rotate those tires VERY frequently (every 5000 miles or so). Even just a quarter inch difference in circumference -- that's barely a blip of difference in diameter -- between front and back tires is enough to 'trick' the computer into sensing a speed variance, causing engagement of the x-fer case clutch. Same thing as riding the brakes, you'll burn that sucker up.

Since I bought mine used, the damage had already been done... I could visually see the difference between the tires, and even drove on them for 10k miles myself before I realized how bad that was for this 'Torque-On-Demand' electronic transfer case.

I'm sure many people will figure this out within the next year or so as these things continue to age.

Old 05-28-2002, 12:22 PM
sgou
New User

Update....This will amaze many of you.......

I finally got the problem resolved!!! However, the problem was not in the transfer case, as I have a brand new transfer case and the shudder/vibration/misfire still existed. I finally convinced them to check the ignition coils as i originally suspected. Lo and behold it turns out the ignition coil pack on cylinder number 3 was bad and causing problems. They replaced the coil pack and spark plug and the problem went away. After 1 month and a half of being in and out of the shop(new fuel pump, new transfer case) and probably 100 miles of test driving the car with their service technicians they finally agreed to listen to me and check the ignition coils. Originally they ruled out the ignition coils because the on-board computer/diagnotics computer did not register any faults or codes. They were convinced that any and all problems relating to engine/ignition issues would be stored.

Long story short, trust your own instincts! I guess they really don't like working on the engine due to the terrible egress and ingress to get at the spark plugs and wires. Ford would rather spend time tearing apart unrelated parts of the car avoiding to work on these engines. Furthermore, many of these technicians have lost the ability to diagnos without a computer. How sad. They still can't explain why this problem with the ignition coils was not stored on the computer.

Old 06-01-2002, 08:25 PM
sfc2001
Cross-Country

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-Jun-02 AT 09:28 PM (EST)]Good deal, Sgou. Glad to hear they got you fixed up.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:01 AM
janjaz
New User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Oct-02 AT 11:07 AM (EST)]Hi All,
My Exp 97 XLT with 60,000 miles is shuddering around 65 mph and up. Doesn't do it at low speeds. The vibrating can be felt all over. I will be taking it into the shop soon. Since I don't know much about trucks, are there any checks or things to note while driving it to help the shop figure out what it is? Would taking it to AutoZone and getting the obd2 scan help? Hoping to save some time and money. Thanks.
Jeff

Old 10-31-2002, 12:46 AM
SMSTEEDA
New User

Hey Buddy,
Read my post at the top of this Forum! "Weird Problem" I think this one i am working on caught that disease. I am really curious to know how they narrowed it down to number three though!!

STEEDA (powered by Ford)
93 Mustang GT STEEDA

Old 11-12-2002, 02:19 PM
pls60
Freshman User

I think I've got the same problem (shudder, etc) in my '99 EB. It seemed to start right after I got a flat on the right-rear tire. It was one of the brand new (5000 mile) Goodyears that Ford had replaced the Firestone's with. Would 5000 miles worth of tread difference make a difference enough to cause a problem with the transfer case? If that's the case, what should I do with the mismatch in tires. I really don't want to have to replace them all.

Old 11-14-2002, 02:57 PM
Blongs
New User

I don't think this relates to your problem specifically, but who knows? I've had my 2002 Exp in for service multiple times now for a slight shudder or vibration during coasting and at 70-75 MPH. First, they thought it was the Goodyear tires (claiming this has come up before), so they replaced the old ones (9000 miles), and the problem persisted. Second time around, they suspected the drive shaft was out of round or balance, so they replaced it with a new one. Still had the shudder. Finally, I'm taking it in next week to have the rear linkage arms replaced with different lenght ones. They think the driveshaft - differential angle is out of the specified range, and thus is causing the vibration when "slack" and at certain speeds. We'll find out.

Old 11-18-2002, 07:49 AM
rick995
Junior User

got the same thing with my '99 had the tires, driveshaft, and the rear control arms replaced and no difference.they are back to blaming it on the tires..........so i had those checked and replaced again and no difference

Quick Reply: 99 Exped. Shudder,Vibration,Rough upon accerlation at speed