1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1990 ranger No brake fluid to rear brakes

Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM
pmibach
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 ranger No brake fluid to rear brakes

After putting new pads on last night I decide I would bleed the system. When I cracked the rear bleeders I got no fluid from either side. So I follow the lines up to the RABS valve and no fluid there, I check the input side and I got fluid. So I figure the RABS is hung up and they cost about $200 to replace, is this a common problem with this valve or am I not doing some thing correct? The anti-lock light comes on when I start the truck and then go out, so to me that is normal. Am I missing something or do I just need to pony up and send the money on a new valve?
Thanks

Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Assuming your '92 has RABS II, if the system is working properly, an electrical or mechanical problem with the RABS controller would cause the ABS light to remain on and a code to be set.
System Self-Check

The RABS II module performs system tests and self-checks during start-up and normal operation. The RABS valve assembly, sensor, master cylinder pressure differential valve, and fluid level circuits are monitored for proper operation. If a concern is found, the RABS II will be deactivated and the REAR ABS light will be illuminated.

Most concerns will cause the light to stay illuminated until the ignition is turned off, at which time the module will retain the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) in memory (also referred to as Keep Alive Memory or KAM). At any time while the ignition is turned on a DTC may be obtained. A special DTC of 16 indicates that the RABS II system is operating normally. However, there are certain concerns (those associated with loss of power to the module) which will cause the system to be deactivated and the REAR ABS light to be illuminated, but will not provide a diagnostic flashout code.
Hee's a related diagnostic tip:

Isolating ABS

Many concerns that seem at first to be ABS related are actually problems with the base brake system. It's easy to check this out. On the Rear Anti-Lock Systems (RABS) used on most recent Ford light trucks, you can pull the brake fluid level sensor connector and fasten it safely out of the way. This will effectively disable the RABS.

Take the vehicle for a drive. With RABS disabled, you will get a good feel for the functioning of the base brake system. If there are problems, you will experience them. Fix these concerns before you test the ABS itself.

This procedure also has the advantage of giving you a feel for the vehicle's deceleration before lock-up...

While you have the RABS disconnected, test for brake imbalance. Apply pressure quickly and see if you can detect one wheel locking up before the other. With RABS on, you can't make this judgment.

Reactivate the RABS and see if you feel the pedal pulsation. Remember that the RABS shuts off below approximately 8 km/hr (5 mph), which can result in lock-up at the conclusion of a stop. Conduct your tests where you can get up to speed.
If it does turn out the RABS controller is bad, try and get a used one from a junkyard.