Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Opinions on My New Engine 306ci

Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
1966Tbird is starting off with a positive reputation.
Opinions on My New Engine 306ci

well i would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on my new combo for my truck

.030 over 302 roller block
300 intake/ 310 exhaust adv. duration, duration @ .050 of 224 intake and 234 exhaust, Valve lift of .496 intake and .520 exhaust, Lobe C/L is 112
(cam is a hydrolic cam non roller because i don't have the funds for a roller cam and this cam is already in my truck)
iron gt-40 heads that have been lightly ported with bigger valves
edelbrock rpm airgap intake manifold
dss main girdle
forged pistons around 9.5-10:1 compression
stock rods (reconditioned)
stock crank (reconditioned)
570 holley vac. secondary
125 shot of nitrous
headers+2.25in dual exhaust
1.6:1 roller rockers
hei dissy with mallory coil and accell internals frpp plug wires

personally i think the cam should be a solid cam or a hydro roller cam of similar specs maybe a bit bigger

i also don't think the carb is big enough

oh ps the tranny is an aod with a 3500 converter, shift kit and the rear has 4.56 gears with 33in tires

i kinda feel like i am losing a bunch (like 10-20hp) by not running either a solid flat tappett cam or a hydrolic roller cam, i want to be shifting around 6500-7k but i know a hydrolic cam just isn't going to want to go into that range

what do you guys think is this enough to get me into the 13s?

ps: i posted this in the smallblock engine section as well

Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
You still need bigger heads with more compression to properly utilize that cam with your existing setup in my opinion, try to find some used TFS or AFR heads with 58cc chambers.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Here's a simulation I did with a best guesstimate cam specs based on the info provided, the software calculates the valve timing from the basic specs but it would be nice to verify with the published specs. The graph looks much like I expected with a powerband that is all HP and no TQ. The cam I ran this against is the Comp 35-242-3 a flat tappet grind with a relatively tame 268/280 advertised duration, but the results speak for themselves. The Comp delivers 329hp at 5500rpm and 348Ft/lbs TQ at 4500rpm while your existing cam makes 326hp at 6000rpm but only 303 ft/lbs TQ at 5000rpm. Obviously the BIG story here is the TQ curve, at 3500rpm there is an 87 ft/lb difference which is hugh and would make quite a difference in ET since TQ is what accelerates the load.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:39 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
1966Tbird is starting off with a positive reputation.
yeah i actually decided to use a set of trick flow twisted wedge heads http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400010/

havn't ran it in the desktop dyno yet and don't know what the compression would be with the 61cc chamber but i am hoping to still be able to run pump gas

with those heads i am not going to be using the same camshaft that's in my truck now

and i think i am going to try a 650 carb and a 750 carb just to see what feels better on the street

and thanks for running those numbers for me things are crazy it seems everyone needs something done to their car recently so i have had no time to do anything

oh i have also decided to run a hydro roller cam just not sure what size yet i'll have to mess around with desktop dyno for a little bit

i am thinking with the new motor on spray i might break into the 13s and my current motor in my truck is going into my buddy's jeep which should be fun

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.