1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

newrider3's F-100

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great work, looking forward to seeing the finished truck!

Is it a solid back bench seat, or a split-back like the SuperCabs had?

If Wally World don't have it, I'd check the auto stores. They're bound to have one to fit. Or you could do what I do, and throw a jacket or something over the seat. I have a huge rip on the passenger side cushion, and I have an old jacket of mine over it. :P

It's strange how many people talk about finding mouse nests in their trucks...I've had mine for seven years and I have yet to find one. Then again I live in Texas, mice wouldn't want to shack up in a hot truck in the summer. lol

Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 PM
newrider3
Elder User
This truck is cursed. I got some new (fitting!!!) speakers from a friend. Before, only the driver's side worked, then neither worked. Now I can only get the passenger side to work. I even tried bypassing all the spliced together wiring for the driver's side, but no dice.
Also found more pinholes on the passenger side floorboard. FML... Hoping the bedliner on top and undercoating from the bottom will take care of them.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by newrider3
Before, only the driver's side worked, then neither worked. Now I can only get the passenger side to work.
Make sure your problem isn't caused by a stereo's dirty Balance adjuster.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Good point. Assuming it's an older stereo, try moving the adjuster throughout its entire range five or six times, then see if that helps.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 PM
newrider3
Elder User
I'm pretty sure it is an aftermarket (albeit older than dirt) stereo, judging by the piece of plastic that was covering the hole between it and the bezel, and the feet of extra wire cable tied in behind the dash.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
If it has manual ***** that you turn, then the trick I mentioned might help. If not, I'd check these things:

- Wiring. Follow the wires to the speakers, and make sure they're in good shape and aren't loose anywhere.
- Connections at speaker. Make sure all connections are secure and that nothing is getting grounded out to the metal in the door.
- Make sure your stereo isn't the problem. Switch out the speakers and see if anything changes. If it does, then it's your speakers, if not then your stereo itself is suspect.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounding good! As for the bench seat id suggest looking around at the auto stores. Here they got all kinds of covers.

I got a camo bench seat cover on sale for 10 bucks at Auto zone. When i had my seat out of the truck i then rigged it up so it stays on until im ready to take it off. (nothing some good ol 50 pound fishin line and good minded riggin cant do!)

Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
newrider3
Elder User
Gave the entire floor a coat of bedliner, and hit part of the underside of the cab with sound/rust proofing undercoating. Rolled some of the bedliner on the clutch/brake pedals too just for ****s and giggles.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
mr.mischief
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good idea for the bedliner floor.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
newrider3
Elder User
Finally got my new heater core in the mail, and put it in today after school. There was at least a cubic foot of mouse ****/nests in the heater box. So that is where the foul smell was coming from haha.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 PM
newrider3
Elder User
Noticed a problem with my signals today. With the key on, engine off, the signals/reverse lights work just fine, as do the dash indicators. With the truck running, the turn signals front and rear, and the dash indicator lights don't work. Where should I start looking?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 PM
newrider3
Elder User
So today was "cut the roof off day", after yesterday's "cuss at the windshield day". No glass company was willing to try and get it out intact, so I went at it myself with a remover tool and cracked it right away. Well, some hammering, axeing, and hacking with the sawzall later it peeled out. The windshield must've been stuck there with hopes and dreams because the urethane sure wasn't glued.
Went after the old roof this morning with the grinder. THERE WERE ****ING MOUSE NESTS IN BETWEEN THE ROOF PANELS! That did not smell good once the sparks from the cut-off wheel caught it on fire haha. My spot weld cutter took a crap a few holes in, so I decided to just cut the old panel off right at the seam and live with an extra layer of steel at the overlap. Didn't have enough vice grips or panel adhesive to get it set in today, but I did get it fitted and ready.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:59 PM
newrider3
Elder User
Got a lot of stuff buttoned up, I'll let the pics do the talking.

The most pristine Bronco seats I found

The devil is in the details...redid the silver striping on the bezels, ask how if you wish to know. Also added some emblems on the dash borrowed from a '89 truck and some kind of Taurus...

Still not sure whether I like this one or not. (ignore the crookedness) ;_;

Parked with its younger brother (stepdad's work truck):

Comments?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by newrider3
The devil is in the details...redid the silver striping on the bezels, ask how if you wish to know.
I used a silver paint pen I got from Hobby Lobby.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
WOW.

Just.....WOW.

I gotta hand it to you, I would have never thought something like this could be done. Putting a different roof panel onto a truck.....to most people, that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. But you've proved otherwise. I can't see any gaps at all, either. Excellent work! Also, that tailgate is a nice addition.

I like those seats too. How much more comfortable are they compared to the previous seat?

You might look at trying on a late-model Ford oval from the 2009 trucks. They're a bit bigger and might look more fitting on the grill than a small one.

Quick Reply: newrider3's F-100