Computer Chips & Tuners  

Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Diesel Best MPG Setting

Old 08-05-2009, 04:37 PM
purvistechie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Diesel Best MPG Setting

To those of you that use this product, what setting do you see your best MPG with. I know that there is an "economy" setting but have heard people say that the best was in "performance".
Can anyone confirm this??

Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM
purvistechie
Junior User
*Bump*

Does anyone else have this tuner and have ANY input??

Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
The best thing you can do with that tuner for your truck is get rid of it and get an SCT w/ custom tunes. There are countless testimonials out there, so don't just take my word for it, and YES the best mpg's are often achieved with the highest performance settings due to optimization.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a previous BullyDog user, I would be very careful with their products. Using variable fueling tables to achieve what they do is just about as bad as an in-line fuel module.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM
purvistechie
Junior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
The best thing you can do with that tuner for your truck is get rid of it and get an SCT w/ custom tunes. There are countless testimonials out there, so don't just take my word for it, and YES the best mpg's are often achieved with the highest performance settings due to optimization.

Thanks? Not exactly what I was looking for.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 AM
purvistechie
Junior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
As a previous BullyDog user, I would be very careful with their products. Using variable fueling tables to achieve what they do is just about as bad as an in-line fuel module.
Thank you for your input. I am careful, mostly purchased for the increase in mileage, but truthfully the additional power is quite nice.

What issue did you have with the Bully Dog, and which one did you use? This product is fairly new.

By the mods listed on your signature, you have made quite a few of them. Did you run the Bully with these mods or before??

Thanks again, appreciate your input.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:37 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by purvistechie
Thanks? Not exactly what I was looking for.
I understand it's not what you're looking for. I just hate to see someone trash their 50K vehicle with an inferior product. It's destructive tuning at best, even if you're careful.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Thank you for your input. I am careful, mostly purchased for the increase in mileage, but truthfully the additional power is quite nice.

I had no problem with the additional power, but I was also new in the tuning world, so I didn't know how that power was being obtained.

What issue did you have with the Bully Dog, and which one did you use? This product is fairly new.
Good question. I did use their triple dog downloader, however, how they achieve their tuning is done the same way. There tunes might have been tweaked a little bit, but the main concern is how they achieve the power with the tunes. That hasn't changed from product to product.

The issue that I had was related to shifting. In the higher hp tunes, due to it being shift on the fly, it would shift sloppy and erratic. In the tow setting it was alright, but street and extreme I thought my teeth were going to pop outta my head.

By the mods listed on your signature, you have made quite a few of them. Did you run the Bully with these mods or before??
No, the tuning that Bully Dog does cannot compensate for the mods that I have. For 90% of the tuned truck owing population they wouldn't have to. I'm in the minority when it comes to people that have done as much or more moding the engine that i have done.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
purvistechie
Junior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
I had no problem with the additional power, but I was also new in the tuning world, so I didn't know how that power was being obtained.

Good question. I did use their triple dog downloader, however, how they achieve their tuning is done the same way. There tunes might have been tweaked a little bit, but the main concern is how they achieve the power with the tunes. That hasn't changed from product to product.

The issue that I had was related to shifting. In the higher hp tunes, due to it being shift on the fly, it would shift sloppy and erratic. In the tow setting it was alright, but street and extreme I thought my teeth were going to pop outta my head.

No, the tuning that Bully Dog does cannot compensate for the mods that I have. For 90% of the tuned truck owing population they wouldn't have to. I'm in the minority when it comes to people that have done as much or more moding the engine that i have done.

Thanks for all your input. I wonder if that's why they now have the options on the different tunes to run "smooth" or aggressive shifting for each tune?

Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Thanks for all your input. I wonder if that's why they now have the options on the different tunes to run "smooth" or aggressive shifting for each tune?
In theory, yes that is why they have those options there. I say in theory because have shift on the fly is mutually exclusive with properly tuning the truck's computer as shift on the fly is done now. In order for your truck's computer to be properly tuned it has to be rebooted, kinda like rebooting a PC or Mac after installing software for all the software's parameters to operate correctly.

Shifting on the fly also doesn't allow for properly tuning of the tranny as well, because that modules needs to be "rebooted" as well. Let's say you uploading the first tune normally. Hooked it up, uploaded the tune, and then shut the truck down. You did the tow tune. You're out driving and you shift it up to the street or extreme tune. Your tranny is going to be "confused" because the new shift pattern isn't going to be used because the system hasn't been rebooted for the changed to take affect. So in effect you are using a tow shift program for a street or race power setting. The tranny isn't going to be able to handle that in the long run. How long depends on how you drive it more then anything else.