6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

How many miles? How many radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles? How many radiators?

Got to work yesterday.. Radiator leaking...

Took it to the Stealership... Busted radiator. Guys... I have 40K on the clock. And I'm on my 3rd freaking radiator since I've had the truck 1.5 years. (bought it used)

I normally don't bitch about my truck. But, this is getting old.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You probably heard this already, but was the venturi T mod done yet? My rad. went bad @ 10,000 miles, was replaced and has been good since. Did the venturi T about 6 mos. after the rad.replacement. Got 44,000 miles now. Are they covering it, or charging you? Either way, I sympathize with ya Dude.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM
ssharber
Tuned
Lemon law would apply to this. Usually they would do they Venturi Tee when they replaced the radiator, as it was an early diagnosed problem, but that doesnt mean they did. 3 radiators @ 40 k is ridiculous. Wasnt that one of Ford's bragging points about these trucks, how much bigger the radiator was? It's simply ridiculous to have to have 3 put in. I'd lemon that thing and get me a new one. Once again, just my 2 cents.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
PullinHeavy
New User
I have a job1 08 F450 and have had two radiators put in my truck. The first one at aprox 15,000 miles at the same time the venturi T was installed. The second one just a few wks ago at 19,000 miles with a new venturi T installed since the first one was apparently installed incorrectly at the dealer.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
ssharber
Tuned
that I can believe; i had a dealership install a radiator for me and they apparently let the tranny cooler drain also, leaving the tranny 3.5 quarts low on fluid. something so simple as changing out a radiator or even putting in a 5.00 tee kit can become complicated for a factory trained mechanic. maybe it was one of your hose clamps that needed tightening and they loosened it.when i took it back in to have them refill the tranny they backed it into a pole, creating a dent in the rear bumper, then they tried to put a F-150 bumper on it thinking I wouldnt notice. I guess my point is it doesnt suprise me anymore that it takes 2 or 3 or even 5 times for them to get it right.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had 2. One around 30,000 miles, another right after at around 50,000 I think. Been good since, 97,000 on the truck.

Confirm that a diesel mechanic is doing the work on your truck, also confirm 6.4 certification. Radiator is not that hard but as stated by ssharber, it's good to know what you DON'T have to do.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Hdfunone
Senior User
I have a F450 job 3.....truck was showing over heating but it wasn't...took it to the dealer and they put in a new radiator...when they did they left some side surpport bolts loose....Ford mounted them too tight and they break...also you can slot the holes....mine kept on showing hot...next time they put on new radiator caps...still didn't work...the last time they put in new thermostats in...one was in pieces...problem fixed..I am not the only one with bad thermos....good luck

Old 08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford knows they have a problem... The ussual cause of radiator failure in predominently diesel engines is do to vibration, and not being able to isolate the radiator from it. Stand to reason...

But Ford cooling issues with the 6.4 are ongoing, The problem starts with the water pump and its high flow capacity, and the radiator and its low flow ability. This causes an unussually high amout of preassure in the in side of the radiaotr, instead of equal preassure. It is also the cause of Phantom over heating problems. Which could ulimatly lead to engine failure.

Ford fix for this was in the return line to the radiator, they put a restrictor, to slow the flow, This is a controlled slow, as opposed to a back up... Does it work??? who knows. My question is, why not just recall the 6.4 and change the radiator. My guess is cost.

I was steered away from this engine when I was in the market, for this reason. I think The BBB needs an overwhellming amout of calls from disgruntled customers, to caus the recall lever to be pulled.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Interesting, Mustang6147, we normally agree on things...

I disagree this time! I spent some time yesterday with the diesel mechanic who changed the engine in my truck. We talked for awhile about these engines, and he didn't mention much in the way of cooling problems to me.

Honestly, the fact that this problem has been corrected in numerous cases by the simple venturi tee would seem to indicate that your mechanic wasn't completely correct about these problems. Also, if the water pump was such a problem, wouldn't this affect all 6.4L trucks?

It's also worth mentioning that even if a person knows how to fix something it doesn't always mean he understands everything that causes it to fail. If they did understand it this well, there wouldn't be so many flow charts mechanics use to diagnose problems!

My mechanic was very knowledgeable about my truck, but he was insistent that Ford owned Cummins, and that Cummins was really developing the new 6.7L Scorpion engine...

Old 08-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
We can agree to disagree though... Thats what makes the world go round.

Ya know... I dont own a diesel... My boys do though. I drive a semi, have owned them to... But I honestly dont know these small diesel engines that well. I only know what the tech, or what people I see are going threw..

Is this info correct?? I only know what the dealer tech said... he can be wrong, but I offerred it, I personaly beleive , the more vibration, an alluminum part is put threw, and the type of vibration, would be a certain cause for falure. But it would happen in the form of cracks near the fastening point. If it is aperent that it, or a part was blown out, then that would also be aperent to the cause.

As far as Ford owning Cummins, I am not sure as of late... all auto mfg's have bought and sold there toys. I do know that Ford used to own ONAN, and ONAN was the parent company to Cummins. whether that is the case now?? anybodies guess.

I still would like to put an old Big Cam cummins 350 in one of these trucks though.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I completely agree about how vibration is the enemy of any number of parts on these trucks. Honestly, though, these V8 diesels don't vibrate much at all. Certainly less than an I6 diesel, as the 6 is going to have bigger pistons and cylinders, as they are down two cylinders and need to make comparable power to the V8s. Therefore, bigger cylinder = bigger boom = more vibration.

These trucks vibrate nowhere near as much as a semi does. BTW, who do you drive for? Owner-op? I drive an '06 KW for CFI at the moment...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I have over 21K on my truck now. Orginal radiator. When I bought the truck, took it home and registered it online at the ford owners website it showed the venturi-T recall. Took it in right away.

So no ill effects for me, although I do check it all the time. I check all my fluids weekly and at almost every truck stop on the hwy.

It is a crying shame that you should have to pop the hood after a dealer or anyone has done a repair or maintance but it is what it is and I check! Right way when i get it home too.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have gone through 1 and now getting ready for #2. First one was around 25,000. It is going in monday for the second replacement 51,000 miles. Both times the leak is from the lower driver side tank crimp area. Seems to be bad crimps and this is letting the rubber gasket leak. Chevys are notorious for this I hope these ford don't end up in that boat.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:21 PM
WhiteEx
Senior User

I have an '08 450 Job 3 truck. I had the ventui-T installed when I got the letter from Ford. I have had no radiator or overheating problems.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 PM
richfaa
Elder User
08 early job1..same radiator the truck came with. No problems..no overheating and we pull heavy 13K plus..Guess we are lucky????

Quick Reply: How many miles? How many radiators?