1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

security moudule or senser

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM
bassmanjeff
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
security moudule or senser

where is this and how do you reset it.domelights do not work right and was told to check this

Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
You reset all the computers at once by disconnecting power. Disconnect your battery (both of them if it's a diesel), turn the headlights on for 5 minutes to completely drain the capacitors. Then reconnect the batteries.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Welcome. As someone fighting the same battle, I can impart a little on the 2002 (which should be the same 2002-04). The security module is the VSM, it's mounted on the firewall under the radio section of the dash. If your power locks and dome light are acting up, then like me you probably need to replace it. Now for the fun part, it has to programmed/initialized by ford.

When I replaced mine, I also did the cluster to get the GEM replaced. Ford reprogrammed the cluster but did not do my VSM as I asked. I have power door locks, but with all of the doors closed, it thinks they are open. With both fronts open, it thinks the doors are closed. I need to carry it back and have the VSM programmed with As Built Data to correct this.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
bassmanjeff
New User
Originally Posted by bpounds
You reset all the computers at once by disconnecting power. Disconnect your battery (both of them if it's a diesel), turn the headlights on for 5 minutes to completely drain the capacitors. Then reconnect the batteries.
Tryed this with no luck.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
So, you reset the computers and nothing changed?

If you tell us a little more about the problem maybe we would have some ideas. All you asked is how to reset the module.

In particular, tell us whether you have power door locks and do they work properly, do you have keyless remotes and do they work properly, and is the cargo lamp on the outside of the cab doing the same thing as the dome light.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:21 AM
bassmanjeff
New User
Ok The power door locks try to work you hit the buttom but they just sound weak. The door ajar light stays on all the time . The dome and cargo light will come on after you close the door and stays on quiet awhile if parked and shorter if driving. If it has keyless entry i do not have the remote for it. Don't knowof anything else at this time this is a project truck did a body swap and retain the complete wiring from the 2002 donor was a 2000 f250 need to check and see if a bolted the svm in place maybe it is not grounded good ? Thanks

Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same problem with my 02 in my signature, took it to my dealer, they pluged there computer in to detrmine problem. I ordered new VSM, then they had to suck the info out of the old one (it is programed at factory according to your trucks configuration) install the new one and then program the new one with the info out of the old one! I hope this all makes sence, i think this cost me about 250 bucks for everything. I lived with all of the problems you spoke about for 3 years and eveyone keep telling me it was the door locks. It is fixed now!
Good Luck