Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stumpalump
And beware that 3/4's of all so called synthetic is made from hydro cracked mud. Technically it's a man made or synthetic oil because they make it from tar sand and only because of a lawsuit they won can they call it synthetic. Even mobile has a cheaper line of oil thats not called Extended Performance so they can compete in the 5 buck a quart arena.
Are you saying the regular Mobile 1 Full synthetic is no good? I had heard many folks recommending it and never seen the 'extended performance' before the very last time I was in the auto parts store. I bought 2 jugs of it I think they were $22 each and I did locate the ext. perf. stuff last time it was $26. While I was there I decided until the warranty is up I'm sticking with the specified MC5-20 blend, just trying to decide what to go with after that.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
retired75
New User
I hope I am not high jacking this thread.I have 99 motor home with a V10 modular engine.It has 42,000 miles on it.Is it too late to switch over to Castrol Synthetic 5w30.I have been using Quacker State 5w30 and changing religously at 3000 miles with filter change every time.I hear so many positive things about synthetic oil and would like to change over to it.Thank You

Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 PM
redwing22
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by retired75
I hope I am not high jacking this thread.I have 99 motor home with a V10 modular engine.It has 42,000 miles on it.Is it too late to switch over to Castrol Synthetic 5w30.I have been using Quacker State 5w30 and changing religously at 3000 miles with filter change every time.I hear so many positive things about synthetic oil and would like to change over to it.Thank You
retired: yes you can switch, it is never to late you should have no problems. You can also extend your drain intervels to 5000 to 7500 mi. if you wish.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM
retired75
New User
Smile

Thanks redwing22.Like I said,I have been mulling this around for a while.I saw that the Castrol 5w30 was on sale at a local parts store and thats what made my decision easier.Thankyou again.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
ponypower
New User
Hopefully you all can clarify something for me! I've just purchased a used truck (Ford of course) that is on synthetic oil. I've always driven Ford trucks and have always used ordinary oil, usually 10w30, which has served me well even during our Canadian prairie winters. I've never paid any attention to the synthetic oils and so know nothing about them. This truck is due for an oil change, and so yesterday I asked my mechanic if I should keep it on synthetic or switch it back to the 'real' stuff. Is synthetic really better for the motor?

He told me that he won't use synthetic, that it's worse than useless, because it has no carbon collecting properties in it. If synthetic is used you must use a special filter to collect the carbon, and that must be changed monthly. So, he said, I should change this one back to plain oil, but that must be done over several oil changes, adding one less quart of synthetic every time.

From what I'm reading here, synthetic oil is just as good, possibly better & I get the impression that I shouldn't change back. So, please tell me--does the synthetic oil pick up carbon and whatever else should be cleaned out of the motor by the oil?? As far as I can tell from the receipts that came with the truck it has synthetic oil but no special filter...

This truck has a lot of miles on it but is in super shape, runs great & has been looked after better than any truck I've ever known--and I'd like to keep it that way so want to use the oil that is best for it.

Help?

Old 10-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Originally Posted by redwing22
I use Shell Rotella 5w40 SYN. in everything I own. Plan on switching to rotella at 1st oil change on the new beast.Run Bosch or Motorcraft filters, Change oil at 7500 mi. never had a problem. PS. you know this thread is going to start some chit!
I have been running the Rotella Syn for the better part of two years in both my V10 and the Exploder. Haven't had any issues at all. Great oil at a great price from Wallyworld.

However to the OP I would stick with the 5-20 until warranty is over just to avoid any possible hassles.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:49 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ponypower, Syn oil is as good or better than regular oil especially in cold weather, I can actually last longer than dino oil ( my wifes Hybrid has a 10,000 mi oil change schedule), doesn't break down as quickly, holds up to engine heat better and it does not require any special filter. Most new cars come with synthetic or synthetic blend in them from the factory. And some aircraft engines do go to synthetic after the break in period (Aircraft engines still require one usually abt 50 to 100 hours). And, even though they are totally different beasts, turbine engines have been using pure synthetic for years and it is not much thicker than water, it is because of the very high RPM's and very high heat.

PS. On my V-10 I am on the 6 month change interval as I only put abt 400 to 600 miles a year on it.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
ponypower
New User
Thanks for that info! I will have to check with my other mechanic...I have two, one here in the neighborhood & another in town, good to have 2nd opinions!!...and then will decide if I go with what he suggests or find a different place to have my oil changes done. Anything that works better in cold weather is a plus around here for the next few months!!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM
redwing22
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ponypower
Hopefully you all can clarify something for me! I've just purchased a used truck (Ford of course) that is on synthetic oil. I've always driven Ford trucks and have always used ordinary oil, usually 10w30, which has served me well even during our Canadian prairie winters. I've never paid any attention to the synthetic oils and so know nothing about them. This truck is due for an oil change, and so yesterday I asked my mechanic if I should keep it on synthetic or switch it back to the 'real' stuff. Is synthetic really better for the motor?

He told me that he won't use synthetic, that it's worse than useless, because it has no carbon collecting properties in it. If synthetic is used you must use a special filter to collect the carbon, and that must be changed monthly. So, he said, I should change this one back to plain oil, but that must be done over several oil changes, adding one less quart of synthetic every time.

From what I'm reading here, synthetic oil is just as good, possibly better & I get the impression that I shouldn't change back. So, please tell me--does the synthetic oil pick up carbon and whatever else should be cleaned out of the motor by the oil?? As far as I can tell from the receipts that came with the truck it has synthetic oil but no special filter...

This truck has a lot of miles on it but is in super shape, runs great & has been looked after better than any truck I've ever known--and I'd like to keep it that way so want to use the oil that is best for it.

Help?
Poneypower: unload that mechanic as fast as you can. you can switch back to dino oil anytime you want. you don't need to use special filters for syn. oil. Yes synthetic oil will pick up the carbon. Take a look at the syn oil that come's out of a diesel.Keep the syn oil, or not, but get rid of the mechanic!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts

Help?
Wow! That guy (your mechanic) is flat out ignorant. You can use either and they are compatable with one another.

Ford recomends 5w20 for all V10s now, even the earlier ones that were spec'd for 5w30.

You should have no problems running any Xw30 oil in any V10 motor though.

Up there in the Great White North, I would think about using a 0w20/30. At least during the colder moths, but they're good for year 'round use.

My current oil fill is Mobil1 5w30 truck and SUV.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:06 PM
ponypower
New User
Alrighty, the mechanic is gone! I'll go with the other fellow I use--I did call him & he said either one is okay, that if the truck had syth oil from day 1 he'd keep it that way. This one was switched later, much later, so he said it didn't matter either way, whichever I wanted to use, & if I switch back I don't need to do it gradually. Thanks for confirming which one to ditch!!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a special synth. oil carbon filter..

thats actualy quite funny...

Synth oil is better all around, but it does seem to have a tendency to dissappear in the engine easier then dino oil.. somethin to with the way Synth oil is made i beleive...

i notice between oil changes on my V10, i lose a 1/2 litres over 5K miles, but the truck burns no oil nor leaks a drop..

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I asked my mechanic if I should keep it on synthetic or switch it back to the 'real' stuff. Is synthetic really better for the motor?

He told me that he won't use synthetic, that it's worse than useless, because it has no carbon collecting properties in it. If synthetic is used you must use a special filter to collect the carbon, and that must be changed monthly.
He would have been better off if he didn't say anything.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:56 PM
ratatat-tat
New User
Originally Posted by bucci
He would have been better off if he didn't say anything.
If he didn't know, he should have just said so.
It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Anyway, that mechanic is off the list.....

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil