General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Fte travel network idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
dumptech
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fte travel network idea

I just saw the thread from Greywolf on the So Cal board about Stave Bricks' visit to Tennesee. It gave me an idea (please let me know if this has been mentioned before). Would there be any interest in setting up a spot on the web site that lists FTE members and their locations that would be willing to be a local contact for other members when they are traveling? Those that were interested could be on a list or map. When FTE members plan a road trip, they could see who's on or near their route and get local information from them. It could even list members willing to offer a place to park for the night. It would be like staying with friends you've never met. Just a thought.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:41 PM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
And a kewl thought. Take the ball and run with it.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
has been discussed before,but never implemented,some members were worried about security/privacy issues. I guess you could use your screen name and just a city with no street address,and not list your phone # until someone from FTE contacted you for it,but even that isn't bullet proof

Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's been implemented.

The 7.3 guys have one and it works well.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:47 AM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
They have the roadside help network I believe. If you break down you can call one of them. I didnt know they had a social one.

It can work as long as you keep it in public. My home is my business so it is hard to keep people from knowing where I live.

Our horse group has a set up like what you are talking about. We have a directory with a a pin point map. When we are traveling a route we will call or email and plan a meet up with whomever. We usually make it a Bob Evans, IHOP, Dennys etc. You kind of get to know people after a while. Sometimes we have enough in one area to have a group meet up.

There is planning goes into it. but you can have a thread that you make private. It is by invitation only. Say you are new to our forum. You will have to go to at least two scheduled get togethers (they are all over so always one to be found) once we have met you and talked to you, got a feel for you we will let you on the list. We always tell people that meetings should always be public, Do not freely give out your phone number, try to group meet if at all possible until we get to know someone quite well.
We have had some in our group for over 25 years. (we have all rodeod together) We seldom have newcomers because we have stayed so private and close knit.
I guess you could start a thread and have people list their first name and city and major highway they are closest to.