1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Error at the pump, FTE probably helped saved me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Error at the pump, FTE probably helped saved me!

Going through Sturgis to help a friend move, I decided to get $40 in Diesel to make sure that I got back home. (overhead showed 126 miles until empty.) Anyway about 22 miles down the road pull into Newell and as I slow down, the engine starts sputtering and white smoke is coming out the exhaust. Remembering some of the things that I've read on the forum, I decide to pull over and drain the fuel bowl. Sure enough it smells like gas. Anyway, look at my reciept and it says Diesel. I call the station, and they said they were changing the pump over to Premium for the Rally. I told them that I had 16 galloms of it in my Diesel. Gave me the mechanics #, and they talked me into purging the diesel out of the beast. Fortunately my friends neighbor had some tractors, so she took the mix off my hands after I got it all out. What a pain!
Just thought I would share... Just because the pump says Diesel, it doesm't mean that's what is in there.
Fortunately, after filling the bowl, filter, and adding Sea Foam and Diesel Kleen, it is running fine. Got lucky I guess...

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They might want to display that on the pump itself...they seem to be opening themselves up for a lot of liability.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These will run okay with an awful lot of gas mixed in, as you have seen. I'd have just drained some out, added a good dose of 2-cycle oil, and topped off with diesel...

Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Yea if your truck is at all damaged you may want to tell the station they'll be fixing your truck since you paid for diesel and it pumped out gas.

Your injectors may be shot. They should buy you a set of single shots.

You guys are all older than myself and more mature because if it was me I wouldn't be this calm. I'd be foaming at the mouth if it was my truck.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
RNH Performance
Senior User
I would have been quite mad as well, but in those moments getting irate wouldn't have gotten you anywhere. Good to know you were able to get it all pumped out and swapped, that station should have put a clear sign out.

I know out here our diesel pumps have large diameter spouts to prevent gas people from putting diesel in there cars but you can help if they have the wrong fuel in the tank...

Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Makes you wonder what they do with the gas after the ralley. I guess they just add diesel to the mix.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by miller_feed
Makes you wonder what they do with the gas after the ralley. I guess they just add diesel to the mix.

Hot Diesel

Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
once the tanks are down low enough they could transfer the gas into one of the other tanks and just refill with diesel...

I would send the gas station a bill for dropping the tank, draining it and refilling it...at $90 an hour labor rate...and dont forget disposal fees!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Zulu50
New User
So lets say you didn't have what he had available and you pump in 20 gallons of gas...what can do you add to the mixture to drive it safely..someone mentioned 2 cycle oil?? How much..just in case..I get a stupid moment?

What if your tank was nearly empty and you filled with gas...what can you add to it in that case....thanks Craig

Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Zulu50
So lets say you didn't have what he had available and you pump in 20 gallons of gas...what can do you add to the mixture to drive it safely..someone mentioned 2 cycle oil?? How much..just in case..I get a stupid moment?

What if your tank was nearly empty and you filled with gas...what can you add to it in that case....thanks Craig
A little gas in your diesel tank, then a pint of 2 stroke oil per 7 gallons of gas.

A lot of gas in your diesel tank. Drain tank, and refill with diesel.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

He did call me back on the next day and said that I had caught them just as they were changing the pump. I said that since I paid for $40 of diesel, and $37 for a filter and there was no damage, I thought it would be fair to get $77 in Diesel. When I came in they said to get $80, so we called it good.
There are now signs on the pumps, black nozzles, and hoses wrapped in bright tape to draw attention...

Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 AM
puffen:D
Senior User
I think I would be like 7.3 Rocket, I'd be foaming. Even if it didn't appear to cause any damage. With the reduced lube of the ultralow sulfur and then adding gas to that, the life of your injectors could of been reduced big time.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reps to ya for handling the situation with great class. It is easy to have a knee jerk reaction and blow up not solving anything.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 AM
lucaslaw
Senior User
if it were me I think the guy would be at the hospital having the filler removed from his...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Need to find the time to run a couple more batches of Bio. At least then I know what is going in the tank...