Help buying a new truck for towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 AM
jablay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help buying a new truck for towing

Hi guys,

First of all, I am a newbie here and in the truck world and i dont know much about them. Also this is my first post on the forum. Anyways, I will be buying a truck sometimes this week but I am not sure of what I need. I will be using the truck to tow sedans with a 18ft or 20ft for a 1000+ miles trip. I have looked at this ad http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/1287407506.html and im wondering if this bad boy will be good enough for me to use. I like ford trucks and I've read a little bit about how the 460 engine is good for towing, but then I am still a newbie and I dont understand jack.

thanks a lot for the help guys i appreciated.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 AM
frankyford
Elder User
I would think it would sit up to high, what kind of trlr are you pulling. Is it fifth wheel or a reciever hitch. Have you thought about getting a diesel, it would last alot longer and get better fuel mileage. Towing in that thing youll get about 7-8mpg if you lucky maybe 10-11 with out and those tanks are not that big, so you'll be stopping alot to get gas. It looks like a good buy for a hobby truck, I just wouldn't use it for tow applications. hope this helps

Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
jablay
New User
Originally Posted by frankyford
I would think it would sit up to high, what kind of trlr are you pulling. Is it fifth wheel or a reciever hitch. Have you thought about getting a diesel, it would last alot longer and get better fuel mileage. Towing in that thing youll get about 7-8mpg if you lucky maybe 10-11 with out and those tanks are not that big, so you'll be stopping alot to get gas. It looks like a good buy for a hobby truck, I just wouldn't use it for tow applications. hope this helps
Thanks for the advice. I will be pulling just a regular receiver hitch. I've been thinking about diesel but yeah they're kinda pricey I think. Would that truck be strong enough though if I were to use it to tow? Thanks again, it helps a lot.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM
frankyford
Elder User
Are you starting a car hauling service or is this for a hobby truck. Diesels are pricey, but that's what there built for. How many cars at 1 time are you hauling, like I said your not going to get the fuel mileage out of that truck. Unless you got alot of money and don't have to worry about it, the gas is going to eat you alive. That truck will pull that you wanting, but I don't think I would use it to tow 1000+ miles on a regular basis. Go to autotrader.com put in the info you want about the truck you want and it'll search for you. If you use that money you have as a down payment on a diesel, you could get a good 95 to2002 model F-250-350 for pretty cheap around the 10-15000 dollar range. It's up to you though, make payments on a good diesel truck or spend all your money in making repair and fuel for the older truck.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Chitownhillbilly
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Towing with a lifted truck is a pain in the ***. Are you planning on hauling one car at a time or two? If two ya definitely don't want that old 77. You'd be looking at towing almost 12000 lbs, thats a lot of weight especially on a bumper. More than that truck would even be rated for, plus those big Pro Comp tires will wonder all over the place and squat pretty bad. Worst part with that truck you linked to is the heads have a small combustion chamber increasing the compression ratio so you'd probably have to run Premium fuel. I'd say you'd be lucky to get 6 mpg towing.

If you just want a tow truck I'd look for a 94-95 reg cab 2wd with a diesel and a 5 speed.

If you want a play truck that can tow, try to stay away from lifts and big tires at least until you get some towing experience. 5 speed trucks are usually cheaper and in my opinion a better tow option. If you don't pay attention while towing you'll burn up an auto pretty easy.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 AM
jablay
New User
Originally Posted by frankyford
Are you starting a car hauling service or is this for a hobby truck. Diesels are pricey, but that's what there built for. How many cars at 1 time are you hauling, like I said your not going to get the fuel mileage out of that truck. Unless you got alot of money and don't have to worry about it, the gas is going to eat you alive. That truck will pull that you wanting, but I don't think I would use it to tow 1000+ miles on a regular basis. Go to autotrader.com put in the info you want about the truck you want and it'll search for you. If you use that money you have as a down payment on a diesel, you could get a good 95 to2002 model F-250-350 for pretty cheap around the 10-15000 dollar range. It's up to you though, make payments on a good diesel truck or spend all your money in making repair and fuel for the older truck.
No man I'm just doing it for a hobby and will help my uncle buying cars from auctions and stuff. Yeah I guess I'll think it over again. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it..

Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 AM
frankyford
Elder User
Glad we could all help, good luck with your decision. If you need anymore advice you know where to look.