1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Well I found where my siren sound was coming from....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 PM
RNH Performance
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I found where my siren sound was coming from....

Finally had time to work on the truck, I was optimistic that it wasn't a turbo issue since the compressor side looked good when I checked it last week, was hoping for a leak somewhere...

Well the turbo is trash, exhaust wheel is knicked multiple fins, small chunks missing Anyone have a turbo laying around? Whats with the van turbo? As much as I'd like to go to a GT38R I just can't swing it right now. I guess my new wicked wheel can be sent back....

I'm glad I bought new boots however I wasn't impressed with the stock pieces. I'm ging to paint and powdercoat while it is apart, I just can't leave that stuff alone. Is it OK to tap the Y for the boost gauge, I assume it is.

Working on these trucks wouldn't be so bad it you could actually lean over it somehow, my knees hurt fom resting on the battery and rad cross member.

Well time for a shower and some saulking.....damn I was hoping the turbo was fine. I took some pics but I can't post them, anybody want to post it for me Ill email it to you....

Rick

Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RNH Performance
Finally had time to work on the truck, I was optimistic that it wasn't a turbo issue since the compressor side looked good when I checked it last week, was hoping for a leak somewhere...

Well the turbo is trash, exhaust wheel is knicked multiple fins, small chunks missing Anyone have a turbo laying around? Whats with the van turbo? As much as I'd like to go to a GT38R I just can't swing it right now. I guess my new wicked wheel can be sent back....

I'm glad I bought new boots however I wasn't impressed with the stock pieces. I'm ging to paint and powdercoat while it is apart, I just can't leave that stuff alone. Is it OK to tap the Y for the boost gauge, I assume it is.

Working on these trucks wouldn't be so bad it you could actually lean over it somehow, my knees hurt fom resting on the battery and rad cross member.

Well time for a shower and some saulking.....damn I was hoping the turbo was fine. I took some pics but I can't post them, anybody want to post it for me Ill email it to you....

Rick
Get one of Riffraff's anodized Air Intake Heater delete plugs with tapped boost port for the spider and put the boost gauge line fitting there. I have already done this a few years ago, but got the "trick" new one from Clay and will be replacing it soon, along with some new boost line tubing and fittings.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Rick

I have a stock rebuilt turbo if you need one. PM me and lets see what we can do to save you some $$.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:47 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
I have a stock rebuilt turbo if you need one. PM me and lets see what we can do to save you some $$.
Sell him one of those "snazzy" AIH delete plugs, too.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:57 PM
RNH Performance
Senior User
Clay I don't have PM as an option, I guess have to put some money in my Paypal so I can be a supporter. Email me direct if you don't mind Rick91GT@comcast.net I really appreciate it!

I was going to email you for a HPX kit since it's all apart anyway, these guys think a lot of you and to me that is priceless... I tried to get on your site earlier.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Clay I don't have PM as an option, I guess have to put some money in my Paypal so I can be a supporter. Email me direct if you don't mind Rick91GT@comcast.net I really appreciate it!

I was going to email you for a HPX kit since it's all apart anyway, these guys think a lot of you and to me that is priceless... I tried to get on your site earlier.
Sorry about that man, I should have looked at your post count. When you get to 25 you will be able to PM. FYI, the site should be about 50% operational late this week and be able to start being used. I will e-mail and see if what I have will help you out, or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to build myself a "Jeff Step". Jeff (Wa.Ranger) Took a 2 foot plank of wood and screwed 2 metal hanger hooks one on each end and hung it from his stock tow hooks on the front of his truck to stand on while working on the motor.

Like these:

Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 AM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
Im going to build myself a "Jeff Step". Jeff (Wa.Ranger) Took a 2 foot plank of wood and screwed 2 metal hanger hooks one on each end and hung it from his stock tow hooks on the front of his truck to stand on while working on the motor.

Like these:

Thats a great idea! A 2x10 would work well.Just watch the load on thoses hooks I have seen them pull out before.

Rick,Clay will take good care of you on the turbo! Hope it all works out for you.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stupid double posts....

Old 07-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I've got a rebuilt stocker sitting here that I haven't had time to fuss with. It has an issue I haven't been able to figure out, but you can use it to fix yours. BUT, I'll make you a hell of a deal on it with the a gutted outlet and non-EBPV pedestal. I'll get you pics of it too if you want. Lemme know.

We're talking less than I have in the rebuild kit & worn out van turbo I bought...

EDIT:
Okay, got some pics up (click the pic to link to the rest):

It will fix your problem, and you'll have about the best stocker you can have. I'd keep the Wicked Wheel if I were you, BTW...

Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by beanhead6D5
Thats a great idea! A 2x10 would work well.Just watch the load on thoses hooks I have seen them pull out before.
Let the over-engineering begin!!

It looks like the screw shank is long enough so that you could screw it completely through a 2 x 10, then in to another piece of 2 x 4 just to give more "bite" - or, maybe a piece of metal strap and a then a bolt possibly?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Thinking about this further, what the heck would cause the exhaust wheel to get chewed up?? I've never heard of that happening in the 2 1/2 years I've been on here. Intake wheel, sure. Exhaust wheel?? WTF?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:14 AM
RNH Performance
Senior User
Joe, shoot me a price I'm waying out all options right now trying to figure out what to do Rick91GT@comcast.net Ill send you the pics of the wheel so you can see it as well. Thanks!

I've heard oil contamination, or possible carbon or high EGT's. I have never seen high EGT's with my truck, and it never had a trailer hooked to it till I owned it. I bought the truck with 36,000miles on it 3.5 years ago and have only put 30,000 on it and that includes some long trips. I don't race it or beat on that bad it so I was a little dissapointed to see it damaged. I use Motorcraft filters 1995 and I was using a Sunoco oil that I was given with the truck but have been using the Ford Super Duty oil the last 2 changes. The only thing that was done to the turck when I got it was a BANKS chip, which I removed when I did my 4" turbo back exhaust, Diablo and air intake, and gauges.

Working on the truck really wasn't bad besides it being awkward, I'm use to dealing with tight spots and v-bands I do a lot of boosted race cars, but they get taken apart a lot more often..

Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
An EBPV stuck closed and trying to make it to the next town, not knowing the damage that will happen, will heat that turbo to red hot.
Easily melt the wheel doing that.

EDIT: And the previous owner tried to turn up the Banks chip so there was some extra power, that would be a factor.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
Bummer to hear the bad news. I am sure you don't want to drive it now that you know what is wrong, but this the the 2nd or 3rd post I have seen about the siren noise. It would be nice to get a clip of it so we know what to listen for. I hope you can get a good deal on a used turbo. Out of curiosity, what year is your truck and how many miles dose it have. Did you notice a performance decrease or mileage decrease?

Quick Reply: Well I found where my siren sound was coming from....