1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I've really been missing out and had no idea.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face I've really been missing out and had no idea.

I'm so mad at myself and yet so very pleased at the same time. It started with me whining about the upshifts in this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ssues-80e.html

Come to find out I made a mistake in ordering the SCT X3 tuner with Jody's tunes. It's my fault and I didn't take the time to ask him questions and discuss it; I thought I wanted the ease of not having to install a chip and switcher and the other functions of the X3. So after that thread I called Jody. I have to say that Jody took care of me. He did way more than he had to do and more than expected. He took my X3 in on trade for an F5 chip. I don't know how to explain how awesome that is.

So it arrived a little while ago and I got to work. It's all in and I went for a drive. Holy **** I've been missing out. All along I've been thinking I've got the same stuff you all have, but I didn't. This truck has more power and it shifts perfectly. It isn't even the same animal now, it's a beast. He truly can do way more with his software and a chip. Oh, and the downshifting on decel is very cool. You guys have heard it all before.
I just had to say something because of how great he treated me and didn't even blink when I asked for help from my screw up.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:47 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear all is well. I am glad to hear that you now enjoy what we have all been talking about too!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:53 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Yep, this thing is doing stuff I didn't have before. I was close, but his chip is def the way to go.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:08 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad to hear it Keith!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:29 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to the party Keith. Ain't it fun???

Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

We probably wont be hearing alot from Keith anytime soon, I have a feeling he's trying to burn the tires off his truck and "smokin" ricers!!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
That's my next step (DP Tuner). I just got off the phone with Clay at Riff Raff and ordered my MBRP 4" exhaust and 6637. The next item will be the ultimate upgrade in about a month.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:48 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to hear it Keith, Jody and Diane are genuine great people, enjoy it and reps to DP Tuner..Just in time for RRE...

Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
One more question about this. Do I need to go to the stock tune every time when I start the engine, or can I leave it set on the 80E?
I remember seeing something about recommending the truck be started on the stock tune. But when I had the SCT programmer it just stayed in the 80E.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:59 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I keep mine in 80E 99.9% of the time. If it is going to be really cold then I will start it in stock.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:33 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
^^What he said. DP recommends that if it is going to be a cold start to start in stock( I use 50 degrees F as the dividing line), let the truck come up to full operating temp before going into any driving tune due to high cylinder pressures. They also recommend that high idle is not a tune to start in. The oil is not in the valve train and excessive wear can occur if you cold start in high idle. I start in 80E almost 100% of the time, in cold weather I will let it begin to warm up before driving it, because idle is idle 80e or otherwise. If it's really cold I will drive it in stock until it's fully warmed up.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Originally Posted by HKusp
^^What he said. DP recommends that if it is going to be a cold start to start in stock( I use 50 degrees F as the dividing line), let the truck come up to full operating temp before going into any driving tune due to high cylinder pressures. They also recommend that high idle is not a tune to start in. The oil is not in the valve train and excessive wear can occur if you cold start in high idle. I start in 80E almost 100% of the time, in cold weather I will let it begin to warm up before driving it, because idle is idle 80e or otherwise. If it's really cold I will drive it in stock until it's fully warmed up.
I have never done this, but it is sound advice and will start to do that now. Thanks for the info Jason.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Billyclub
That's my next step (DP Tuner). I just got off the phone with Clay at Riff Raff and ordered my MBRP 4" exhaust and 6637. The next item will be the ultimate upgrade in about a month.
Congrats, but there are lots of upgrades that you will be doing in the future. lol

Originally Posted by spdmpo
One more question about this. Do I need to go to the stock tune every time when I start the engine, or can I leave it set on the 80E?
I remember seeing something about recommending the truck be started on the stock tune. But when I had the SCT programmer it just stayed in the 80E.
Nice Keith. Glad you fixed your mistake. . Like said before Jody and Diane are a class act.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM
wla6518
Senior User
doesnt the high idle use the cruise control to run up the RPM?
I remember having it on and without thinking hitting the clutch or brake, then the idle dropped and the display spun like it does durring setup.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you got the problem licked there Keith. Now I need to drive YOUR truck at RRE. lol

Quick Reply: I've really been missing out and had no idea.