Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1100 mile trip with the RV

Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.
1100 mile trip with the RV

Made a long weekend of it and towed the travel trailer down to Port Isabel, Tx to visit a friend working down there His wife/kids also came down for the weekend and we all went to Schliterbahn on Sunday.
Towing performance was excellent-no problems holding OD, no issues with it "revving to the sky on every hill"-nothing like the diesel trolls all carry on about.
60-65 mph @1900-2200rpms all day long-totally uneventful,and actually kinda boring for 9 hours(good thing I put the OEM MP3 Cd player in it awhile back). Mileage over the entire 1100 mile trip was just over 8 mpg.
Towing into the headwind of 15-20 mph heading down there was just over 7 mpg, and heading back with the wind behind me, it was right at 10 mpg until we hit Houston @ 4pm......should have left earlier to avoid the terrible traffic. One note on that...the tow/haul mode is really setup very well for towing in stop-and-go traffic. The upshifts/downshifts were right on, and the engine braking from the downshifts when slowing is a big plus.
Outside temps were over 100 degrees for most of the drive there and back, so of course the A/C was on-the truck used no oil, never overheated, not a single problem at all. I think it would like a 4.30 gear better-when I was running over 2200 rpms (just over 65mph)-it wouldn't unlock the converter on the overpasses/hillss. When I had the cruise set at 60 mph (1800-1900 rpms) it would unlock the torque conveter until I broke the top of the overpass then it would lockup again. It only downshifted a couple of times on some of the fairly large overpasses heading into the wind on the way down,and never did on the way back. I'll probably leave the 4.10 in it-I only tow the trailer every once in awhile,so it's not a big problem. If I did it more often I'll look into changing gears to a 4.30.
JL

Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.Johnny Langton has a great reputation on FTE.
I entered 1100 mile trip into the thread title box,but for some reason it didn't pick up the first "1"...interesting.
JL

Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Mmaxed
Senior User
Mmaxed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton View Post
I entered 1100 mile trip into the thread title box,but for some reason it didn't pick up the first "1"...interesting.
JL
LOL I was thinking it took a little too long to go 100 miles.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM
RAGaz
Senior User
RAGaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great report JLangton - tell us about the travel trailer - how much weight were you pulling?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RAGaz View Post
Great report JLangton - tell us about the travel trailer - how much weight were you pulling?
oops..thought I had included that. It's a 33' Jayco Eagle 314BHDS with a dry weight of 7800. I have an extra battery on the tongue, I carry about 15 gallons of "emergency" water in the fresh tank, and of course it was loaded with all of the typical necessities. I estimate loaded wight to be around 8500.
So combined weight of truck and trailer should be approx 15,500(7000+8500) with no passengers.
Here's a picture from last summer's trip to Arkansas:

JL

Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 AM
RAGaz
Senior User
RAGaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's a nice camper JL. And satellite to boot!

And I bet your estimates are pretty close. I just weighed my rig this weekend - with a full tank of gas, a 25ft travel trailer in tow, 60 gal's fresh water, family, gear & the dog. We tipped the scales at 14730. The V10 pulled like a charm in the mountains going from 4600ft in town to 8200ft at camp (all in about 20 miles of 7% grade all the way up).

Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like a great trip. Nice TT.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Thanks guys-it is much nicer than the old one. Wife won't go anywhere the DTV won't work-gotta have the TV and A/C.
More pics of the unit here with some of the minor modifications:
http://members.tccoa.com/jlangton/Eagle/
JL

Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 PM
fordmdb
PREMIUM SPONSOR
fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.
Sweet Camper, We almost bought the same layout in 2007 but ended up with a 5th wheel. Those TV's are a nice addition as well. We finally upgraded to flat screens this year... .
How about some pics of the tow rig?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/5-Sta...92086367552400
Old 07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
vardashan
Junior User
vardashan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice Camper Ours is smaller - Outback 23RS (24'11") with the rear bed slide. We will tow nearly as far weekend after next. About 1050mi. round trip. Gonna get the oil changed this week and the front of the trailer waxed and see what the mpg's are like. Truck has just over 8k mi. on it now. It has performed better with each tow so far.

-CC

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
dualwheels66 has a great reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a great reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a great reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a great reputation on FTE.
I am considering the 324BHDS model for my family, but that 314BHDS would be our second choice. Enjoy.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dualwheels66 View Post
I am considering the 324BHDS model for my family, but that 314BHDS would be our second choice. Enjoy.
If the 324 had been available in '08-we would have gotten that one.
JL

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You guys need to start working you trucks a little more, 15k lbs is nothing for a newer 3valve 4.10 or 4.30 truck! I grossed just a shade under 22k on the last trip, and the trip before, and the next trip, and the trip after that, I think you get the point, lol!

Damn nice looking camper, I really wanted the fiberglass gelcoated siding on our new one but the one I came accross was laid out exactly how I wanted so I gave in on the outside treatment and went with the standard aluminum.

a picture from earlier this year. 74' and 21,900lbs;

Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 PM
hwm3
Freshman User
hwm3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice setup. Where in Arkansas were those pics taken?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It appears I am having technical dificulty with pictures! Has anybody else? When I hit the edit button on my gallery it shut my entire Web page down???????? never had that happen beofre!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1100 mile trip with the RV

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.