Sponsored by:

More "Heavy Load" pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason,

Lighten up on the Smart Car owners, you're hurting my feelings...

Stradahot,

Looking forward to your next post.

Scottie,

Stock rear suspension, you are one brave S. O. B. Thanks for the pictures and lively debate.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really should think about a set of air bags for the rear suspension... it will take out the sag and give u better steering geometry and driveability. I think you can get the complete setup for under $500. Guess firewood is not that popular down your way cuz you could have made a whole lot more money chopping that wood up and selling it as firewood

Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM
jayc3169
Senior User
ROTFL! Well.........!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:46 PM
mgs
Junior User
I'd say there is plenty of spring left with either trailer. They are not travel trailers with a load bearing hitch designed to tow thousands of miles a week. I pull a 7500lb trailer with no problems at all. Having good trailer brakes is the key. I'd say your tongue weight is under 1000lbs....BTW, nice trailers!, Mike.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:58 PM
stradahot
New User
Sorry...I own an Excursion so my comment was uncalled for in the context it was written.

I still think that's ****ing stupid cause you not only can hurt your truck but anybody around you could be injured by overloading a truck like that. Airbags aren't the answer. Discretion is.

Imagine being new and seeing the first post of a kid who has surpassed his GCWR of 20K by 30% more than the truck is rated to tow! And then to see him celebrate in a picture, arms held high in victory.

Sure he only travelled 8 miles but he claimed he hit 55mph!! in that short 8 miles!

Does any responsible person here say anything? No, folks here tell him to get air bags and a weight distributing hitch and congratulate him on some nice pictures. Stupid. Someone needs to tell him to get a life before he takes someone else's or his own.

My first impression was obviously about as good as the first impression made by this forum from first post I read here.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Posting Guru
I won't be impressed until he has a pic of that big claw machine thingamahooset strapped to a trailer and going up a 7% grade at 80mph!!!

It's hard to impress me though.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:40 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It seems to me that anything over the recommend towed weight would be dangerous. Can't you get a ticket for that? What if you are going down a steep hill towing 15k pounds and your brakes fade out? I've had mine completely fade out just with a load of firewood in the back of my pick-up.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by soutthpaw
You really should think about a set of air bags for the rear suspension... it will take out the sag and give u better steering geometry and driveability. I think you can get the complete setup for under $500. Guess firewood is not that popular down your way cuz you could have made a whole lot more money chopping that wood up and selling it as firewood
Well, we have an abundance of hardwoods here to sell for firewood. Oak, oak, and more oak. I cut and stacked over 1/2 a cord today.

Pine on the other hand is just about worthless. NOBODY would buy it to burn and if I can't get it to a size that the mill will take I just drop it onto the burn pile and have a nice bonfire.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:54 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by EXv10
It seems to me that anything over the recommend towed weight would be dangerous. Can't you get a ticket for that? What if you are going down a steep hill towing 15k pounds and your brakes fade out? I've had mine completely fade out just with a load of firewood in the back of my pick-up.
No steep hills here.

And if your brakes fade on one hill with just some firewood, well, I think it's time to upgrade your pads/rotors.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mgs
I'd say there is plenty of spring left with either trailer. They are not travel trailers with a load bearing hitch designed to tow thousands of miles a week. I pull a 7500lb trailer with no problems at all. Having good trailer brakes is the key. I'd say your tongue weight is under 1000lbs....BTW, nice trailers!, Mike.
The tongue weight was WAY more than 1,000 lbs. Maybe on the dump trailer but the long trailer is pushing it more than 1,000.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:01 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by stradahot
Sorry...I own an Excursion so my comment was uncalled for in the context it was written.

I still think that's ****ing stupid cause you not only can hurt your truck but anybody around you could be injured by overloading a truck like that. Airbags aren't the answer. Discretion is.

Imagine being new and seeing the first post of a kid who has surpassed his GCWR of 20K by 30% more than the truck is rated to tow! And then to see him celebrate in a picture, arms held high in victory.

Sure he only travelled 8 miles but he claimed he hit 55mph!! in that short 8 miles!

Does any responsible person here say anything? No, folks here tell him to get air bags and a weight distributing hitch and congratulate him on some nice pictures. Stupid. Someone needs to tell him to get a life before he takes someone else's or his own.

My first impression was obviously about as good as the first impression made by this forum from first post I read here.
Ok, first of all, kid? That's my son posing in the picture. I'm just a bit older.

Second, I have plenty of discretion. I know what I was doing and no one was in danger.

I'm trying to stay nice but get over yourself.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
mgs
Junior User
I don't see much tire squat.....they all must have 80lbs in them. I would not think the trailer weights 4000lbs empty. What's the trailer rated at for a full load? Only two real big axles I guess....what are they rated at, Mike.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stradahot

even better........ in the words of cartman....... shut the FUDGE up, get the FUDGE out, leave us the FUDGE alone...........

we're sorry that your soccer mom Excursion never sees the duties of which it was built for, not our problem, you last statement says it the best, so take your own advise and find your information somewhere else.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
scottf4444
Elder User
Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mgs
I don't see much tire squat.....they all must have 80lbs in them. I would not think the trailer weights 4000lbs empty. What's the trailer rated at for a full load? Only two real big axles I guess....what are they rated at, Mike.
They were squating some. They do have 80 psi. The trailer does weigh just over 4,000 lbs. It's a 14k trailer. (7k axles)

Quick Reply: More "Heavy Load" pictures!