Connecticut Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Registering my truck.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Registering my truck.

So it's about time for my truck to get registered. But I don't know what the current procedure is for out of state vehicles and I'd prefer to not spend 4 friggin hours with the retards at DMV if you guys have an idea.

So here's the deal. I bought my truck in Rhode Island back in December. I believe it was registered in Mass or RI previously.

I'm sure it doesn't have current emissions due to it having already sat for 6 months and it was out of state so I don't think CT would accept out of state emissions tests.

Do they still do vehicle inspections? Do I have to do emissions before or after registration?

My GVWR is approximately 9950 pounds. Truck is a 1999 model year.

They'll tell me how much it's gonna cost me (250ish plus 15$ in bull***** bunny humper fees) but won't tell me procedure on DMV website. Atl least not that I can found.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 AM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

I believe you need to start with temp plates so that you can get emissions done first. Once that is done you will need to bring the truck to the DMV so they can do a VIN check, but that is it. No inspection anymore. Due to the extremely low volume of out of state vehicles, expect to be waiting a while for the vin check. I've done this several times over the last several years and the person doing the checking is always busy doing something else.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Aerocell4x4
Diesel Van Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pete:

CT Emissions Program - What Should I Know About the Test - What If I Buy An Out Of State Used Vehicle

"Any vehicle that was last registered out of state and is not an exempt vehicle must have an emissions test conducted before it can be permanently registered in Connecticut..."

Best wishes on your purchase.

Be nice to the DMV folks

Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
greg nailed it on the head, i did it 3 times in the past 2 years. temp, emissions, VIN check, back in for the real plates.

there is special paperwork for the vin check, make sure they give it to you when you get the temp plates.

emissions test will be $20

its actually not that bad, DMV people have never jerked me around. just PAY ATTENTION to what they are telling you.

it helps to remember that there was 15 foreigners pissing in the dmv workers wheaties before you get there, so smile!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:12 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Zookie400
greg nailed it on the head, i did it 3 times in the past 2 years. temp, emissions, VIN check, back in for the real plates.

there is special paperwork for the vin check, make sure they give it to you when you get the temp plates.

emissions test will be $20

its actually not that bad, DMV people have never jerked me around. just PAY ATTENTION to what they are telling you.

it helps to remember that there was 15 foreigners pissing in the dmv workers wheaties before you get there, so smile!
Yea. DMV isn't the bad part. It's the morons AT the DMV that annoy me. Eg: Take a number for the express line or w/e it is. Finally it's your number. You're about to step up to the counter when some mama-sita with her 14 kids all with her says "Essscuuuuuse me. I think I have a lower numbar den you." Then you gotta wait for them to finish their BS and then the DMV employee is pissed too.

Yea I've been through a VIN check before. Not with my vehicle, but with mom when she registered one of her cars that came out of Rhode Island.

Anyways just popping in cause I'm directionally challenged and I gotta get up to Interstate Ford for some stuff.

Catch you guys later.

And thanks a ton!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Hockeybandit16
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rocket,
I just registered my Super Duty which I bought in N.J.
NJ gave me a 20 day temp plate.

First step is emissions, look online for testing stations.
Get the paper and bring it with your drivers license, Ins card, temp registration, checkbook and title to DMV.
While your in line, fill out the application to register a MV in CT
I went to Old Saybrook and and they told me the emissions paper was also good for the VIR ( Vin Verification ) so I didn't not have to fill out that form separate.
I did not pay the sales tax in NJ when I bought the truck so I had to do it here...about $1500 to register and pay taxes on truck,,,ouch

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Hockeybandit16
Hey Rocket,
I just registered my Super Duty which I bought in N.J.
NJ gave me a 20 day temp plate.

First step is emissions, look online for testing stations.
Get the paper and bring it with your drivers license, Ins card, temp registration, checkbook and title to DMV.
While your in line, fill out the application to register a MV in CT
I went to Old Saybrook and and they told me the emissions paper was also good for the VIR ( Vin Verification ) so I didn't not have to fill out that form separate.
I did not pay the sales tax in NJ when I bought the truck so I had to do it here...about $1500 to register and pay taxes on truck,,,ouch
Thanks! I brought my SD home on Transporter plates back in December. I'm bringing it to a shop tomorrow so they can install my mirrors cause I've had enough of those freakin things. Will use transport plates then as well.

So here's the plan so far:

Tuseday: Bring truck to shop. Get them to look into electrical issues as well as install mirror glass. Stop by emissions test station and make appointment.
Wednesday: Go to DMV and get a temporary registration.
Thursday: I'm hoping the truck will be done and ready to go to emissions.
Then I've got to find when mom is free next to go to DMV for 2 year plates.

Right now she is the legal owner because insurance is outrageous enough with her as owner. Nevermind if I was on there as legal owner. Once insurance would drop to a reasonable level it'll get transferred into my name.

Also: We try to be on a first-name basis here. If you'll look at most members signatures they've got their first name in em. See where mine says - Pete, PAA member #84? Well my first name is Pete and the PAA thing is just a running joke in the 99-03 7.3L forums.

Not to insult your intelligence, but I figure I'll just throw this out there.

To add a signature:
1: You must have 25 posts.
2: Scroll to the tip-top of your page. In the lower left it will say "User CP" click on that.
3: Scroll down until you see something that says "Edit Signature" or some such thing like that. Click it.
4: The box there is what will appear in your signature.
5: Click Save.
And now you're done!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Since it's raining like hell I decided to waste a little time at DMV today.

Went through the information line at the State Street DMV and here's what I was told.

Emissions: Don't need it.
VIN Check needed: DONE I "trailered" the truck there and got the VIN check done.
Pay taxes and register: That's tomorrow.

Unfortunately the shop can't even take my truck til Friday so I'll still be in Pinkie til they get the mirrors done.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
whats the dealy-o with the mirrors?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Zookie400
whats the dealy-o with the mirrors?
Power adjustment no workie. And both passenger mirrors have been broken since I bought the truck. When I put down a deposit I made sure he'd fix the upper glass as it was missing. Lower glass was in good shape. Went to pick the truck up and the top glass wasn't installed and the lower glass was broken. So he got me lower glass and sent it back with my brother when my brother went to pick up the truck he put a deposit on when I bought mine.

Long story short:
Dealer gave me drivers side upper mirror and passener side lower. I bought a passenger side upper and tried installing the lower. I broke the plastic on the back of the lower and cant' figure out the freakin upper glass so I'm letting Adamo's on center street in Wallingford install both mirrors and figure out why they don't power ajust. Passenger side adjusts down and in but not up or out and drivers side does nothing. I assume it is the switch and have a replacement in the truck, but I'm afraid to tear into my door panel to find out.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
luv_my_stang67
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ca f-350

Has anyone recently renewed registration in CA or know how much lube (cash) I need for when I go in there to get raped?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
No, but I would suggest going and asking in the California chapter forums.

Search this Thread