1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab Lights on the 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab Lights on the 6.7

Are the Cab Lights on the 6.7 controlled with upfitter switches or are they always on when the headlights are on?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Cab clearance lights are always on with the parking lights. Your upfitter switches are all for you to add your own stuff.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
How hard is it to redirect them to the upfitters? I don't necessarily always want them on when just driving around town at night.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
That I wouldn't know. I would imagine that they are tied into the parking light wiring by a plug, so if you could find it, you could re-route it. The clearance lights really look good driving around, but if you don't want them on, I'm sure you could modify it.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you not want them on?

If you're in a DRW they are required.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:19 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
Why would you not want them on?

If you're in a DRW they are required.
Wife hates them. She thinks they are red neckish. She doesnt want me to get them. But I think when I am towing up north in heavy snow the more lights I can have the better!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mvedepo
Wife hates them. She thinks they are red neckish. She doesnt want me to get them. But I think when I am towing up north in heavy snow the more lights I can have the better!
The wife is an idiot. A Ford Super Duty is a wide vehicle. Having the clearance lights with your mirror marker lights at night or in poor visibility situations is a very good thing. It lets people know you are wider, it makes you stand out more.

BTW, these lights are federally mandated based on width. Tell the wife it has nothing to do with being "redneckish" and everything to do with safety. I in fact recommend adding a dually 3 light marker light right below the tailgate as well, as sometimes it can be useful in filling in that space between the tail light and grabbing even more attention. Remember, people are idiots, and a truck that size can easily kill somebody that is not paying attention. More lights is better.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
The wife is an idiot. A Ford Super Duty is a wide vehicle. Having the clearance lights with your mirror marker lights at night or in poor visibility situations is a very good thing. It lets people know you are wider, it makes you stand out more.

BTW, these lights are federally mandated based on width. Tell the wife it has nothing to do with being "redneckish" and everything to do with safety. I in fact recommend adding a dually 3 light marker light right below the tailgate as well, as sometimes it can be useful in filling in that space between the tail light and grabbing even more attention. Remember, people are idiots, and a truck that size can easily kill somebody that is not paying attention. More lights is better.
Hey now....I am the only one that can call my wife an idiot. The roof lights ARE NOT required on a SRW 250. They are an option. I want it and the wife doesn't like it. From what I can tell there are far more 250's WITHOUT cab lights than with. The dealers here only had 1 XLT with cab lights and 5 or 6 XLT's and Lariats WITHOUT them. She saw those and preferred them.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
What are you towing?

Some states require that the tow vehicle have ID lights if the trailer is wider than 80"

You could always just remove the bulbs when you don't want them on... but why have passive safety equipment that you physically disable? That'd be like removing the airbag module because you didn't like the way the steering wheel looked.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 AM
mvedepo
Senior User
I am in WI. Most people tow their side by side sled trailers (101" width) with 1/2 tons. I have always used my Tundra or Yukon. They have no clearance markers. And most of the single rear axle HD trucks here don't have them either.

And I don't honestly think safety is going to be compromised if I don't have the cab lights on and I am driving around town empty and not towing anything.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
...sounds like you don't want cab lights.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
...sounds like you don't want cab lights.
Hell, I'll take 'em.

-rockstate

Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 AM
frozenpoet
Freshman User
I don't think they look redneckish, just wanna be a big rig look. I didn't really care for them, but my truck has them and they've grown on me.

As for your question, first look to see if they have their own fuse, if so cut split and run to a toggle. If not best I can tell you is to pull the headliner and follow the wires.

It all should be as simple as using a switch to disrupt the current. That's in my mind though so it could be a little more complicated.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 AM
mvedepo
Senior User
Well I have mixed feelings on them. I think they detract from the clean lines of the truck. I will probably put the smoked lenses on them. But as I said, I want them for when I am driving through heavy snow up in the U.P. I want to be as visible as I can. I am sure they will grow on me too. Just never had a vehicle with them on it yet.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 AM
03silverTJ
Senior User
If you and the wife are inside the truck and they are on you will never know it!

For my 2010 the plug for the clearance light's was in the passenger side kick panel. Not sure where it will be on the 2011's, but i am sure if you found where they plug in, by following the wires like stated above you can easily splice them into a switch.

Kyle...

Quick Reply: Cab Lights on the 6.7