Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Motor Again

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Window Motor Again

Well for the third time in about 4 years, I've had to replace the driver side window motor. What possibly could be going wrong with them? I don't know anyone else having to replace them this many times.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Is the motor running but the window won't go up, or is the motor not running?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
The motor is dead. It always happens when the window is down. It worked fine all morning today, no noises or erratic movements. It went down then not up. I put the new motor in and all is good. Luckily the motor was still under warrenty so it didn't cost me anything this time.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Has the window always rolled up sloooow ? If the tracks aren't lubed or the weatherstrip around the window is dried out slowing the window down. This could put strain on the motor and burn it out on yah.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
skaterbro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the motor stick before. Something to do with regulator flexing the wrong way when the window is rolled down all the way. It puts enough pressure on the motor that it can't turn. All i do is remove the door panel and bang on the sheet metal where the motor is mounted. Try rolling the window up while doing that and it should free it up.

The other times you replaced it did you check the motor for operation once it was removed from the door? Hold the motor in your hand, plug it in and see if it spins.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Sportruk
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by *2fords*
Well for the third time in about 4 years, I've had to replace the driver side window motor. What possibly could be going wrong with them? I don't know anyone else having to replace them this many times.
Were all the replacement motors from the Ford dealer or aftermarket? If aftermarket, concider the country of origin. China.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
They are rebuilt Ford parts from O'reillys. Who knows where they get them.
I've never tested them when I take them out, so have no idea if they do actually work when not mounted.
I don't know how fast they should actually roll up, it appears comparable to the passanger side window, which has never been changed. They seem to move pretty easily, It doesn't sound like it binding up any.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
skaterbro
Senior User
2fords, next time test it once it's out of the door. Just plug it back in, hold it in your hand and hit the switch. If it's happened to you more than once i'm thinking you were having the same problem i described in my last post, and you probably trashed perfectly good motors.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
No I didn't trash them, I took them back in under warrenty.
I don't think the track or whatever is flexing like you say, as I don't even hear the motor trying to work.
Even if it was flexing, why does a new motor work automaticly as soon as I put it in. I don't bang around in the door when I pull the motor out and put the new one in.
I think the motor had been changed before I even got the truck, I don't know how Ford mounted the motors to begin with, but mine is bolted in with gold anodized looking bolts. So this problem may have been going on long before I got it.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
skaterbro
Senior User
Fair enough, so long as you didn't trash them. The reason it immediately works after installing the new motor is because you free up the regulator arm once you remove the old motor. The first time i went through this i immediately assumed the motor had fried because i couldn't hear it doing anything. So i took it out, and it almost felt like it was stuck to the regulator arm due to the flexing. But i got it out and decided to test it. Sure enough, it worked just fine.

I've dealt with this numerous times over the years, all at random times but always when it's rolled all the way down. I'm still going on the factory motors, just had to replace the pins in them once before. But if you aren't having to spend any money each time you replace it then all is well i guess. Just trying to look out for ya.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a link to our Ford Truck window regulators and window motors if you would like to look at them.Our window motors are new too not remanufactured ones.

Ford Truck Window Regulator

Ford Truck Window Motor New